• Chance - just born that way

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Genetic Anomoly - (Environment)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Genetic Anomoly - Error

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters
ris said:
i've never seen fit to ask the question why, i acknowledge its existence and leave it at that. homosexuality is, and nothing more.

Spoil-sport.

The point is a mental excercise...

Allow me to throw a wrench into the works for a moment and see where it takes us.

Gay couples with children - the children are exposed to homosexuality and the social environment that comes with it. On a nurture vs. nature point of view...would that positive/negative experience make them gay or straight?

If it is generic...it would not have existed this long. THe genetic aspect would require that the genes be passed on in the traditional manner...childbirth...since most gay couples (especially male) do not concieve, does this mean the end of homosexuality?

Does the continuance of homosexuality despite this barrier mean that it's NOT genetic? Does it mean that it's a 'genetic error'?

What about impaire twins (one gay/one not)?

MrBishop said:
ris said:
i've never seen fit to ask the question why, i acknowledge its existence and leave it at that. homosexuality is, and nothing more.

Spoil-sport.

The point is a mental excercise...

Allow me to throw a wrench into the works for a moment and see where it takes us.

Gay couples with children - the children are exposed to homosexuality and the social environment that comes with it. On a nurture vs. nature point of view...would that positive/negative experience make them gay or straight?

If it is generic...it would not have existed this long. THe genetic aspect would require that the genes be passed on in the traditional manner...childbirth...since most gay couples (especially male) do not concieve, does this mean the end of homosexuality?

Does the continuance of homosexuality despite this barrier mean that it's NOT genetic? Does it mean that it's a 'genetic error'?

What about impaire twins (one gay/one not)?

hehe, sorry for being a spoiler ;)

the idea that same-sex couples will raise more gay children is, to me, utterly ludicrous. it might even be possible to propose the opposite, that gay parents would bring up children that are more aware of their own sexuality and are able to be open and comfortable with themselves. if the parents had faced struggle to realise their own sexuality and faced societal pressure then it could be logical to assume they would try to leave that pressure out of their own childs upbringing.

MrBishop said:
Luis G said:
Natural born-gays are the XXY and XXXY

That's Gay-male . What about Gay-Female?

As i stated before, the sexual preference of the individual is influenced by the enviroment him/her was raised.

I just stated the example of the very few natural-born homosexuals, that happen to be male (or female with a Y chromosome?), anyway, if you name those male gay, then as far as i know there is no natural born gay female.

Luis G said:
the sexual preference of the individual is influenced by the enviroment him/her was raised
Care to explain exactly how the environment I was raised in changed my preferences?

perhaps an interesting comparison is left handedness - some people just have a predeliction to the left hand. i've yet to see how nurture, environment or genetics inform it.

i figure some people just come made that way.

Jeslek said:
Luis G said:
the sexual preference of the individual is influenced by the enviroment him/her was raised
Care to explain exactly how the environment I was raised in changed my preferences?

you'd have to tell me a lot of details about your folks, the places you lived, friends, schools, etc etc. Frankly, i don't have the time or the mood to go through all that.

nurture may play a fractional part but i cannot see how it would inform a persons sexual orientation. it is an attempt to identify with a fictional idea of a perfect 'normal' upbringing as being sacrosanct.

basically my whole life, i knew that i was different from a lot of other people, in that i'd been turned on by females, etc.
when i was like 8, and found out what lesbianism is, i thought i was one.
now i know i am bisexual.
but i've always known something was different about me, in that way.

therefore, i voted for the "born that way" option.

perhaps an interesting comparison is left handedness - some people just have a predeliction to the left hand. i've yet to see how nurture, environment or genetics inform it.
Left handedness is caused by genetics.

Frankly, i don't have the time or the mood to go through all that.
No no, IN GENERAL, what would you say cause someone to turn gay?

Oh and ash.... being bisexual rules. Got the best of both worlds. :cool:

I think they are born that way but it is an anomaly, since they can't/won't reproduce. Ther are some who choose it but most don't.

* PS-I hate bi-sexuals. Pick a hole & live with it :D

It's a genetic anomaly which has aspects of both environment, and actual genetic factors. Most homosexuals are homosexual by choice, however, which is why I chose the way I did.

Hmmm...from a religious viewpoint, that's an interesting statement. Do you mean to say that Homosexuality is caused by bad upbringing? Bad father/mother/family?

I don't see how it's all that surprising really. If i beat my child until he's 16 is he not going to grow up angry? The things we do to our children have all kinds of affects on them as far ranging as one can imagine. The most basic of all human instincts is preservation and survival yet i know many people who are into self mutilation. We shape our children from day one. If these can be rewired in a human then why not sexuality.

Do you walk around the house acting gay?? or do you pretend you're straight?

I am reasonably straight, and all people perceive me that way. But with a strain of oddness or something.

What, no option for atheistic determinists???!!!!!!

MrBishop said:
Luis G said:
Natural born-gays are the XXY and XXXY

That's Gay-male . What about Gay-Female?

I am pretty sure that's "XXX". BWARGHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH HA HAHA... HA.. HAHA.... HA :blank:

MuFu.

Jeslek said:
I am reasonably straight, and all people perceive me that way. But with a strain of oddness or something.

you know i always joked about you ;) but to say a strain of oddness isnt that putting yourself down since everyone is odd in their own way?

ris said:
perhaps an interesting comparison is left handedness

Nice example...actually, the best I've heard so far.

Left-Handed people used to be forced to write with their right hand, because the left-hand was associated with the Devil. They were born lefties, but didn't live as lefties.

Back