hopefully a new house

only thing we are going to change inside is painting the master bedroom to a lighter color. the rest of the interior is fine as is.

Inkara1 said:
I hope I'm not going to be stuck in renter's purgatory forever. :(

1. How's your job at the paper going?
2. How much money per month are you saving?
3. How's your credit?
4. Can you afford a mortgage that's more than your rent? Most are around the same price range, but others can be up to double.

Credit depends largely on numbers one, specifically time on the job, and number 3. Savings show that you're mindful of the future, and 4 is mostly personal taste...

Two more extremely important pieces of advice...
1. Make sure you get a fixed rate mortgage. Variables are nice, but fixed rate can pay off in savings long-term.
2. Don't get married so quick next time.

Gato_Solo said:
1. How's your job at the paper going?
2. How much money per month are you saving?
3. How's your credit?
4. Can you afford a mortgage that's more than your rent? Most are around the same price range, but others can be up to double.

Credit depends largely on numbers one, specifically time on the job, and number 3. Savings show that you're mindful of the future, and 4 is mostly personal taste...

Two more extremely important pieces of advice...
1. Make sure you get a fixed rate mortgage. Variables are nice, but fixed rate can pay off in savings long-term.
2. Don't get married so quick next time.
Job's doing pretty well, but I would need to quintuple my income to afford the median-priced house around here.

Inkara1 said:
Job's doing pretty well, but I would need to quintuple my income to afford the median-priced house around here.

I doubt it. If you're looking to buy a house, go to a bank, and see how much they would lend you, with your current income, and that will give you a monthly payment. I bet you anything from aardvarks to zithers that you can afford a house, and you may not even know it. ;) You may not like the neighbors, but that's another story entirely. :grinyes:

I don't want a condo (why buy an apartment?) and buying a trailer in a trailer park would give me a lot of hidden fees (space rental, etc.).

So for houses, this is the cheapest house in all of Atascadero. This is the cheapest house that has more than one bedroom in all of Atascadero.

If I figure in how much I've got saved up, the monthly payment jumps to $1,601. Once my insurance kicks in, and after taxes, that will give me... oh, about $0 to pay for electricity, gas, fuel for the car, etc.

viewed a couple houses like that. they were more like oversized doll houses than livable homes.

Spot said:
viewed a couple houses like that. they were more like oversized doll houses than livable homes.

That was a serious size? The rooms must be like 10' X 5'!! That's the size of my closet...and I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment. :eek3:

OK, my post somehow disappeared... I'd said that I'm paying $575 for a very old one-bedroom apartment that used to be two motel rooms and it's the best deal in town.

Inkara1 said:
OK, my post somehow disappeared... I'd said that I'm paying $575 for a very old one-bedroom apartment that used to be two motel rooms and it's the best deal in town.

Buy yourself a tent, and camp out at the nearest national park. Just make sure that you move from time to time, so the rangers don't get suspicious. :lol2:

Back