House throws reparations door wide open

jimpeel

The story:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080730134027.m9puooa5&show_article=1

The video

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=142033

So this guy Cohen, obviously overcome by White guilt, declares the United States apology for happenings a century and a half ago.

US lawmakers apologize for slavery

Jul 30 09:40 AM US/Eastern

US lawmakers Tuesday offered the federal government's first formal apology for the "fundamental injustice, cruelty, brutality, and inhumanity" of slavery and the legal segregation of African-Americans.

The resolution, passed in the House of Representatives by voice vote, "apologizes to African-Americans on behalf of the people of the United States, for the wrongs committed against them and their ancestors who suffered under slavery" formal segregation laws known as "Jim Crow."

Lawmakers also said they were committed to rectifying "the lingering consequences" of slavery and segregation. (ie: REPARATIONS! -- j)

Congressman Steve Cohen, who introduced the resolution in early 2007, praised the move.

"This is a historic moment in the ongoing struggle for civil rights in this country, and I hope that this legislation can serve to open the dialogue on race and equality for all," he said in a statement.

"Apologies are not empty gestures, but are a necessary first step (Ah, but what could the second step possibly be? -- j) towards any sort of reconciliation between people," said Cohen, who represents the area of Memphis, Tennessee.

US media reported that Cohen, who is white, is facing a tough primary challenge from an African-American candidate and represents a majority black district. (There it is! "If I kiss their asses them thar colored folk will vote for me. My new slogan will be 'Vote for me and I'll set you free!'" -- j)

Copyright AFP 2008

jimpeel

If we give them the money, it will be the payment of back wages.

If wages are paid then it is not slavery.

The only question now is: Will they shut up about it and let us all get on with our lives?

It would be nice to see the big business of race baiting and pandering go out of business. The "Reverend" Jesse Jackson might even have to get hisse'f a job as a preacher at a real church.

spike

If we give them the money, it will be the payment of back wages.

If wages are paid then it is not slavery.

Actually that's not logical at all. If you kidnap someone and force them to do things against their will or kill them and their family later wins a civil suit against you....it's not like you never committed a crime.

Nor would they be expected to just shut up about it.

2minkey

bootlicker
i'm sorry jim but this is alarmist horseshit.

"throws the door wide open?"

people have been saying shit about slavery being regrettable for the past, what, 150 years or so?

what's your problem with black people, anyway?

Cerise

Breaking News:

Congress works to pass meaningless drivel but still does nothing to address the current concerns of the American people.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Breaking News:

Congress works to pass meaningless drivel but still does nothing to address the current concerns of the American people.

breaking news, just because it doesn't concern you, does not mean it does not concern others.

MrBishop

As far as I've seen, Obama may talk about race..but he's not "Playing the race card" any more than Condaleeza Rice (f'r instance) does.

Cerise

breaking news, just because it doesn't concern you, does not mean it does not concern others.

Sure. Where's my apology, dammit?? *handonhip 19th Amendment my ass!!

On Wednesday the U.S. House of Representatives apologized for slavery. The bill was sponsored by Rep. Steve Cohen, a white Democrat from Tennessee who represents a majority-black district and faces a black primary challenger. Or in other words, the U.S. House apologizes for slavery and Jim Crow not as a sincere gesture of the feelings of the American people, but to help a white incumbent beat a black challenger in a Democratic primary in Tennessee. Wonderful.

Then there is the additional irony that the current membership of the U.S. House apologized for an evil for which it was not responsible and that was ended in the century before last. The apology also included Jim Crow laws, so at least on that point some Americans who helped enforce those laws are still alive. (Perhaps some former Jim Crow enforcers are in the House.) But still, the electoral politics behind the bill -- that its primary consequence will be to help a white incumbent defeat a black challenger -- render its content meaningless. http://www.spectator.org/dsp_article.asp?art_id=13624

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
the story you quoted, as soon as the phrase "In other words" came into play became not a news story but an op-ed peice.

and here is your apology

I am truly truly sorry.

Cerise

As far as I've seen, Obama may talk about race..but he's not "Playing the race card" any more than Condaleeza Rice (f'r instance) does.

"We know what kind of campaign they're going to run. They're going to try to make you afraid," Obama said at the fundraiser. "They're going to try to make you afraid of me: 'He's young and inexperienced and he's got a funny name. And did I mention he's black? He's got a feisty wife.'"

.....Obama is able to cast aspersions without needing any evidence to back them up. He implicitly ascribes to the GOP the view that voters are prejudiced against blacks, then calls on voters to prove they are not by voting for Obama. The fear of GOP racism also provides black voters an extra motive to get to the polls.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121423903202896929.htm

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
so him answering the attack ads pointing out he is diffrent is now playing the race card.

what else is him playing the race card? showing his face in public?

Cerise

so him answering the attack ads pointing out he is diffrent is now playing the race card.

There are none. The only ads that point to a difference are the ones that mention his senate voting record, policies, and lack of experience.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121423903202896929.html

Barack Obama told a group of Florida donors Friday night that Republicans will try to make voters afraid of him, and suggested they would use his race to scare up votes for John McCain,