how long is your resume?

HomeLAN

In fact, I question the personal interests section entirely. The interest in tech stuff is already mentioned in your Qualifications section, and they aren't going to care enough about the athletic stuff to make it worth a second page. Try this:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
HomeLAN said:
BTW, I question the value of including that.
So do I, someone somewhere told me to toss it in for good measure, but it's never really sat well with me so it might get dropped. As far as dropped my interests section entirely, I'm not sure. I had an informal interview last friday and we discussed that point at length. Uncommon situation though so you may be right.

edit: posted without checking new posts.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
If this is a revised resume I'm sending to the IT manager at this company (he asked me to tweak my resume with a copy of the full job desc in hand), should a second cover letter go along with it?

HomeLAN

Yes. Any correspondance should include a cover. Obviously, not the same one as the first, but definitely send one.

BTW, if you interview, don't forget the thank you letter. It counts.

tommyj27

Not really Banned
Luis G said:
Why lie in your resume??
I don't lie in my resume, I don't claim to have certs I don't have, but I will say that I've studied them and am quite familiar with the material.

HomeLAN

tommyj27 said:
I don't lie in my resume, I don't claim to have certs I don't have, but I will say that I've studied them and am quite familiar with the material.

It's a fine line. It'd turn me off, but I know plenty of hiring managers who would like the aggresiveness. As long as you don't out-and-out lie, which you're not.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
This thread is sooooooooo according to the current times.

I just sent my CV to the Faculty of Physic-Mathematics to see if I can be a teacher in the area of computer sciences, they are soliciting personal, I might get it. But perhaps my sin is to be too modest in the CV (just one page), there are guys that put everything in there, and honestly, it's hard for me to remember about the conferences and other work I've done. :shrug:

BeardofPants

I think we must do things slightly differently over here (call it a CV for a start), and they're a little bit longer. Mine's currently 3 pages, with a covering letter.

Thanks for the heads-up on the third-person thing though - I knew that it applied to covering letters, but not to CVs, so I just spent 20 minutes going through and changing the tenses.

Homie, would you be interested in giving me feedback on my cv?