How the hell could this happen??

greenfreak

I don't have it from a reputable source yet but I heard that when they took Jesica off life support, the family elected not to donate her organs.

Q

I'm not sure she would have had much that would have been suitable for transplant....but I'd sure like to know. I'll see what I can dig up.

greenfreak

You could argue that most of her organs weren't usable anyway because of what she's gone through... But if they *were* usable and the family didn't want to donate them, that is just fucked up.

Q

I'm thinking corneas and skin are two things that most likely could have been used.

....and yeah, if it's true, that is fucked up.:hmm:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
That's bullshit, a person died because she needed an extra set of organs, and now her family isn't willing to give up what she does have that's good. Bullshit. :disgust2:

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'm not defending their decision. I can just imagine how this entire experience could make them lose confidence in transplants....and doctors.

Q

I agree with PT. I'm sure it was an emotional time for the families that donated the organs to her.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Yes...But they were in a position to have confidence in doctors and transplants. I doubt that the donor died from a botched transplant too.

greenfreak

Whether they have confidence in the whole process or not, it doesn't mean that all the other people on transplant lists don't have confidence. Now, they are kept waiting. If her organs were viable, the family acted out of extreme selfishness. What if others had acted so selfishly to them? We never would have heard of Jesica because she wouldn't have gotten the first transplant.

I guess I'm just not willing to make concessions for people who bypassed others on the transplant list, were given a gift, but didn't have the decency to return the favor. Yes, they are going through an emotional time but they accepted the donation of the organs in the first place--they should be able to accept giving Jesica's away also.

Every day I lose more and more faith in humanity. :(

flavio

Banned
PuterTutor said:
I may sound like a heartless bastard here, but now we have wasted two hearts and two sets of lungs on a person. This is just sad. I'm sure I would feel differently if it was a child of mine, but I think I would also know when to say enough and allow the child to die. Someone where I work said it pretty good. God said her time was done, did they think he was joking?

Well screw it then, let's just shut down all the hospitals and let god take care of everything then eh?

flavio

Banned
PuterTutor said:
That's bullshit, a person died because she needed an extra set of organs, and now her family isn't willing to give up what she does have that's good. Bullshit. :disgust2:

The doctor's screwed up and killed her and now they want her organs? I'd be a little reluctant too. Not saying it's right but I completely understand.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
greenfreak said:
Whether they have confidence in the whole process or not, it doesn't mean that all the other people on transplant lists don't have confidence. Now, they are kept waiting. If her organs were viable, the family acted out of extreme selfishness. What if others had acted so selfishly to them? We never would have heard of Jesica because she wouldn't have gotten the first transplant.

I guess I'm just not willing to make concessions for people who bypassed others on the transplant list, were given a gift, but didn't have the decency to return the favor. Yes, they are going through an emotional time but they accepted the donation of the organs in the first place--they should be able to accept giving Jesica's away also.

Every day I lose more and more faith in humanity. :(

I don't think they made the right decision either. But I understand what emotion can do to the thought process....I am a donor and I believe everyone should be...

greenfreak

I'm talking about the second donation, the people who specifically donated to Jesica, bypassing the rest of the people on the list, to try to save her.

flavio

Banned
I suppose that was certainly a gift and I agree the right thing to do would be to donate as well. Who knows what the parents are thinking, but I'm sure they are very angry about what happened right now.

greenfreak

Holy shit, I'd be too. The only thing worse than having a loved one die is to know that their death could have been prevented. I know she was terminal but who knows what could have happened if that first transplant was the right type? I guess we'll never know.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
flavio said:
The doctor's screwed up and killed her and now they want her organs? I'd be a little reluctant too. Not saying it's right but I completely understand.

I don't think of the drs wanting the organs, there could be someone else out there that could live or see or not have scarred skin because of her wasted life. I do understand the family's upset right now, but I would like to think they could see that there could be someone to benefit from their daughters death.

freako104

PuterTutor said:
flavio said:

I don't think of the drs wanting the organs, there could be someone else out there that could live or see or not have scarred skin because of her wasted life. I do understand the family's upset right now, but I would like to think they could see that there could be someone to benefit from their daughters death.

i agree but heres the problem that i see. the family may not trust the doctors and think of their feelings. they may not do the humane thing and let the organs go to someone else who needs them. and as i said they may not trust the doctors and wont let the doctors do that again to someone else. though i do agree with you 100% pt i dont think the family agrees right now. and will more than likely bear the rancor towards the doctors and not let the docs even touch their daughter again.