How the hell could this happen??

Q

freako104 said:
and will more than likely bear the rancor towards the doctors and not let the docs even touch their daughter again.
She's dead, freako. The doctors won't be touching her again.

Also, FTR, sge was autopsied, which is an invasive process, to say the least. There is no sound reason for not donating what they could. If she had died waiting for the second set of organs, I could understand....but another dying persons family made the decision to pass on a gift to her. Jesica didn't die because of the trasnplant process, she died due to a mistake within the process. I think it was spiteful. And I hope it wasn't orchestrated by a lawyer, for the purpose of demonstrating how disillusioned they were by all this, in an attempt to get a larger settlement.

freako104

Q said:
She's dead, freako. The doctors won't be touching her again.

as long as her organs havent atrophied they can still use them. that was the point to my quote.

Q said:
And I hope it wasn't orchestrated by a lawyer, for the purpose of demonstrating how disillusioned they were by all this, in an attempt to get a larger settlement.

i hate to say this but i do have to wonder if it was.

Q said:
There is no sound reason for not donating what they could. If she had died waiting for the second set of organs, I could understand....but another dying persons family maybe the decision to pass on a gift to her. J

yes but as i said i hope theyd do that but i doubt itll happen. again they may be cautious to donate anything for sparing the other family pain.

Q

freako the organs have to be harvested within minutes of death. Not days. After they are harvested they have a useable window of hours. She has been dead for two days.

greenfreak

But if they are required to do an autopsy for some reason (for the lawsuit or hospital policy or legal reasons) that would explain why they wouldn't donate anything. So far, I don't think any media agencies have asked them about why they said no. I'm surprised that they haven't. It might be cold hearted to ask at this point but they always want the story and that could be a big story within the story. :shrug:

HubbaHubba

personally i think it was pretty mean not to donate whatever they could, right after a family is willing to give up there own to help attempt to correct a mistake..

According to Times reporter Denise Grady, "Ms. Santillan's family moved from Mexico to North Carolina three years ago in hopes that she could be treated at Duke for restrictive cardiomyopathy, which caused an enlarged, weakened heart and damaged lungs.

But as other media outlets have more accurately and honestly detailed, Santillan's family didn't just "move" here. They came here illegally by paying a coyote $5,000.00 to smuggle Santillan and her mother across the border for the express purpose of obtaining medical care and circumventing long wait times in Mexico.

hmm.. what do we think now? If they do sue, will they have a leg to stand on?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
In a country where a thief can sue his victim for getting hurt in his house? You bet they do.

HubbaHubba

haha, fair enough Puter... Do you think she should've gotten organs in the first place then as an illegal immegrent?

(my spelling sucks)

PT

Personally, no. But that's being the hardass that I am. If it was my daughter I would have done the same thing for her.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Transplant Teen Buried as Debate Rages
LOUISBURG, N.C. (AP) - Family and friends sobbed as the 17-year-old Mexican girl who endured two heart-lung transplants was laid to rest, even as a debate raged over whether such organs should have been offered in the first place.

Some 100 mourners gathered Tuesday at a small graveyard east of Louisburg for the funeral service of Jesica Santillan, who died last month after being given organs with the wrong blood type during the first transplant.

``She came as close to being an angel on Earth as anyone,'' attorney Frank Cassiano said after her white coffin was slipped into a mausoleum wall and covered with a pink granite slab. ``This girl was brave every day of her life.''

Critics have said American citizens should have priority for transplants. But transplant groups say it is only fair to give some organs to foreigners because they also donate organs to U.S. patients.

Plans to bury Jesica in Mexico were abandoned because there was no guarantee her illegal immigrant parents would be allowed to return to the United States afterward.

At the funeral, Nita Mahoney, whose husband started a charitable foundation in Jesica's name, seemed to hint at the controversy over whether the girl should have been on the long list of desperate transplant candidates.

``Love has no colors to it, and it crosses all rivers and nations,'' Mahoney said. ``That was the only thing we wanted to do, was help a child. And in Jesica's memory, we will.''

In an operation Feb. 7, Jesica was mistakenly given organs of the wrong blood type. Her body rejected the organs, and a matching transplant about two weeks later came too late to save her. She died Feb. 22 at Duke University Medical Center.

Cassiano said the family hasn't yet decided whether to sue Duke.

Hospital officials said they have the discretion to put foreign citizens, including illegal immigrants, on the national waiting list for transplants. And the United Network for Organ Sharing, which oversees the distribution of organs nationwide, allows up to 5 percent of recipients to be from other countries.

``Part of the rationale is that it may be hypocritical to accept donors who are not U.S. citizens, but not allow them to be transplant recipients,'' said Joel Newman, UNOS spokesman.

A major factor in deciding who gets a transplant is ability to pay. The federal government pays for some emergency medical services, but does not cover illegal immigrants who are unable to pay.

Jesica had health insurance provided through her mother's job at Louisburg College. Family friend Mack Mahoney said the insurance will pay for 80 percent and a foundation he created to help the Santillans could cover the rest.

PT

Plans to bury Jesica in Mexico were abandoned because there was no guarantee her illegal immigrant parents would be allowed to return to the United States afterward.

Anybody else see anything wrong with this picture? It's ok that they are here, and if they stay, that's cool. If they leave though, they can't come back?
:confuse3:

PT

Well, are there such a thing as illegal aliens then, I'm thinking the INS isn't looking too hard if they can't find these two. I guess they could feel sorry for them right now, but still.

Squiggy

ThunderDick
I'm probably looking at your question wrong. The whole story of her experience here is what I was refering to. I wouldn't be able to move past her and consider what the parents are trying to do with that. I believe they need to stay to carry out the legal stuff which you know is already in the pipeline...