hurricane? earthquake? the gods are playing ...

Source

I gotta ask ... Why are people in Brownsville rushing to buy plywood. Every damn year I hear the same thing. Damnit, you know you're living where hurricanes hit at least once a year. Buy the wood once, build heavy shutters, and keep them from year to year. Better yet, pay a bit more and get steel ones made and then you don't have to run about like a moron.

This is about as intelligent as a Canadian rushing to buy a snowbrush for his car.

LOL just last week my snowbrush moved from my back seat to my trunk. I won't take it out of my car because I just KNOW I'll be somewhere other than home for the first snow and then I'd be SOL. It's only in the trunk because it was me and 3 other people in my car so I needed the room.

Re: rising pressure

If you seal off your house and the pressure outside rises significantly then the pressure pushing in on the window is much higher than the pressure pushing out from inside...this is what could cause shattering. You want the pressure inside and the pressure outside to be close to each other, the net pressure needs to be under the strength of the glass...by having a couple windows cracked the pressures equalize.

It's actually the other way around.

Air moving fast has low pressure, while air standing still or moving slower has higher pressure. The way an airplane wing is designed is to make the air moving over the wing move faster than the air under the wing, which pushes the wing up, thus creating lift.

Air moves quite fast in a hurricane (the minimum wind speed to be considered a hurricane is 74 mph and the really damaging hurricanes have winds at 140 or more mph) and thus has lower pressure than the air inside the house. If the difference is great enough, it can rip the roof right off the house (remember the footage from Hurricane Iniki?).

It's actually the other way around.

Air moving fast has low pressure, while air standing still or moving slower has higher pressure. The way an airplane wing is designed is to make the air moving over the wing move faster than the air under the wing, which pushes the wing up, thus creating lift.

Air moves quite fast in a hurricane (the minimum wind speed to be considered a hurricane is 74 mph and the really damaging hurricanes have winds at 140 or more mph) and thus has lower pressure than the air inside the house. If the difference is great enough, it can rip the roof right off the house (remember the footage from Hurricane Iniki?).

I don't know much about hurricanes specifically. I was just going by what Tonks said about rising barometric pressure. If the barometer rises then what I said is correct...but if it actually falls then what you said is correct.

There's going to be something wrong with pretty much anywhere you pick to live. In California it's earthquakes. In the midwest it's tornadoes. On the east and gulf coasts it's hurricanes.

Other side of the country. They're talking Washington state. Washington DC is on the east coast, in Maryland.

Other side of the country. They're talking Washington state. Washington DC is on the east coast, in Maryland.

Ran out of new names did they? :lol:

Actually it can get confusing when people don't realise I'm talking about places here in the UK not the US...

Lawlitech.com?? That's cute. But it sounds like Loli-tech, which is a 'training centre for child whores'. AKA Ped-U

So Dean hit the coast as a category 5 hurricane. It is moving slowly so it will do some real harm. When it goes through Yucatan it will move through the gulf and the hot waters of Campeche could make it even stronger.

Back