hurricane? earthquake? the gods are playing ...

I figure that as high and as deep in the mountains he is, the thing should just break up rapidly into just a phat ball of rain with only marginal winds.

I figure that as high and as deep in the mountains he is, the thing should just break up rapidly into just a phat ball of rain with only marginal winds.

Yes, it should become a tropical storm after it reaches Veracruz. It can still harm with massive rains, but not as bad as the things air moving at 300km/h can do.

Ran out of new names did they? :lol:

Actually it can get confusing when people don't realise I'm talking about places here in the UK not the US...

Actually, Washington the national capital is the name of a city. The "state" it's in is the District of Columbia. Meanwhile, it would be possible to have, say, a town named Vermont in the state of Kansas... which would make it Vermont, Kansas. Washington, DC is the same thing.

Actually, Washington the national capital is the name of a city. The "state" it's in is the District of Columbia. Meanwhile, it would be possible to have, say, a town named Vermont in the state of Kansas... which would make it Vermont, Kansas. Washington, DC is the same thing.

I think you misunderstood me... the Washington name came from Washington, Tyne & Wear here in the UK.

http://www.washington.co.uk/

You also have a Colchester, Ipswich, Chelmsford, Suffolk and Essex all of which I've lived in here. I could go on for quite some time if I list them all... your forefathers didn't have much imagination. LOL :D

I was gonna post a couple nights ago how we don't have a whole lot of extremes here near Chicago before I crashed out, but last night proved me wrong. It almost felt like we got hit with a hurricane. We got hit hard with storms yesterday, and the tornado sirens went off in Schiller Park around 3:15 yesterday afternoon as the sky turned very dark and the wind speed went up exponentially. I did see the tornado warning box on the NWS site's radar shortly before that, included O'Hare Airport too, can only imagine how it was there. :eek: A tornado did go through Bensenville (directly west of SP) and Franklin Park (directly south of SP), as well as a confirmed touchdown in Northlake (SW of here, still very close). Power went out in the middle of that storm at about 3:30, and was out until about 3 this morning, 11.5 hours without power. The Des Plaines River (eastern border of SP, less than 2 miles from my house) has flooded the entire road next to it and will be a nightmare for travelers today, and they're actually predicting the river to get worse as the major flooding in Wisconsin from the past few days flows down the river. Also, the small street at the opposite end of ours had a lot of standing water and we saw people in the houses at that end dumping buckets of water out their front doors. I got some pics and videos of the storm while we drove to go out to eat (not much choice without power), I might edit them a bit tonight (as we get more rain, just what we need) and post any good ones. There's countless traffic signals out (one major one's on the same grid as us and was out the same time), downed trees and standing water making this maybe a tougher commute than a blizzard makes, and according to ComEd there's still over a quarter million customers powerless as of now.

One question: what should I do to check for the freshness of our fridge/frozen foods? I've never been through an outage anywhere near this long before. It isn't very full as we've got to go to the grocery store this weekend, so even if I have to toss it all, it isn't a big loss.

Back