Hurricane Frances

Sharky

Hang in there, Mare, you're gonna be OK. You might want to find a shelter where you'll be with other people during the storm, for both comfort and safety. Got my fingers crossed for ya. :sadhug:

It isn't always like this in Florida. Two majors so close together is very unusual. :shrug:

Mare

A SHELTER-HAAAAAA The last shelter everyone went to in charlotte county the roof blew off-over a 1,000 some ppl were there. Even our hospitals were ruined, thats pretty said when they cant even make a hospital safe for patients... I Don't Know, sorry, just venting, stress level is VERY HIGH!!!! We have a Safe Room in our place..actually 2. thats where i'll be-and actually they are saying now that it is a catagory 3 (I think). It was a 4 supposed to be a 5 when it hit ground,and Charlie was a 4. but dont know nowwatch the weather alot today...I'll try to keep all informed and you be safe also Sharky and everyone else riding the storm with us in FL... :sadhug:

catocom

It looks like Miami, and west Palm, are about to start getting the first blowoff,
ahead on the main event.

Sharky

Mare said:
A SHELTER-HAAAAAA The last shelter everyone went to in charlotte county the roof blew off-over a 1,000 some ppl were there. Even our hospitals were ruined, thats pretty said when they cant even make a hospital safe for patients... I Don't Know, sorry, just venting, stress level is VERY HIGH!!!! We have a Safe Room in our place..actually 2. thats where i'll be-and actually they are saying now that it is a catagory 3 (I think). It was a 4 supposed to be a 5 when it hit ground,and Charlie was a 4. but dont know nowwatch the weather alot today...I'll try to keep all informed and you be safe also Sharky and everyone else riding the storm with us in FL... :sadhug:

Be careful of the "only a Cat 3 vs. a Cat4" thinking . . . it's like the difference between being hit in the face with a brick vs. being hit with a bowling ball - it's still gonna hurt.

You guys are going to get a LOT of wind and rain. Be prepared for flooding, as the storm will be moving very slowly and dumping unimaginable amounts of water. If it comes through here (the Panhandle), even as a tropical depression, this year's peanut crop is going to be ruined. A summer of hard work for nothing. :(

One of my neighbors went to town today and rented two huge gas-powered pumps, and dropped one off at my place. Kewl neighbor, huh? :cool:

The National Weather Service will probably issue one of these for the Panhandle tomorow:

THE FORECAST SLOW MOVEMENT OF FRANCES MEANS THAT RAINFALL FROM 5 TO
10 INCHES IS EXPECTED THROUGH THE DURATION OF THE STORM ALONG AND TO
THE RIGHT OF THE FORECAST PATH...WITH LOCALLY UP TO 20 INCHES
POSSIBLE. THIS IS TRUE EVEN IF FRANCES WEAKENS OVER LAND TO A
TROPICAL STORM OR DEPRESSION
AS RAINFALL AMOUNTS ARE
NOT RELATED TO THE STRENGTH OF THE WINDS...BUT RATHER THE
TRANSLATIONAL SPEED OF THE SYSTEM.

TO THE SOUTH OF THE PATH...2 TO 4 INCHES OF RAIN IS EXPECTED WITH
LOCAL AMOUNTS TO 6 INCHES. THESE AMOUNTS WILL AGGRAVATE ALREADY
FLOODED RIVERS IN WEST CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST FLORIDA.

HomeLAN

Yeah, they're predicting 4 inches up here. I don't THINK it's gonna be near what Charley was for you, Mare, but be careful.

Sharky

YET ANOTHER reason why you shouldn't plan a Caribbean vacation in August or September . . .

To make matters worse, a new tropical storm has formed in the eastern Atlantic. Tropical Storm Ivan is located around 865 miles west-southwest of the Cape Verde Islands. Maximum sustained winds are presently at 50 mph. The forecast calls for the storm to steadily strengthen and move briskly in a generally westward direction, becoming a hurricane . . .

:spank2: Yeee-haa!!!!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Or do & hope for a hurricane so the cruise line, in the spirit of cooperation with its customers, gives you another booking of your choice AND possibly a freebie for your troubles.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I feel blessed that we only have a random tornado every couple decades up here :eek:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
Weren't they thinking for awhile that's where Atlantis was?

maybe if you put pontoons on it :D

Mare

· Frances Downgraded to a Category 2 Hurricane
· Landfall Expected Saturday Afternoon or Evening
· Forecasts Call for 10-20 Inches of Rain
· Storm Is Double the Size of 1992's Andrew
· Georgians Prepare -- Just in Case
· Frances Pounds Bahamas

WELL, Atleast its a category 2 now, but break out the life jackets and pick up everything you dont want to be under water....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
How to make a bad situation which had gotten less dangerous several times worse in one easy step.

fr.jpg

Stall that bitch right there.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
All Ashore who's going ashore

[edit]--the original pic was great, the western eyewall just off W Palm Beach...now it's useless

Mare

Sharky said:
Be careful of the "only a Cat 3 vs. a Cat4" thinking . . . it's like the difference between being hit in the face with a brick vs. being hit with a bowling ball - it's still gonna hurt.

You guys are going to get a LOT of wind and rain. Be prepared for flooding, as the storm will be moving very slowly and dumping unimaginable amounts of water. If it comes through here (the Panhandle), even as a tropical depression, this year's peanut crop is going to be ruined. A summer of hard work for nothing. :(

One of my neighbors went to town today and rented two huge gas-powered pumps, and dropped one off at my place. Kewl neighbor, huh? :cool:

The National Weather Service will probably issue one of these for the Panhandle tomorow:

Just No phone service here thats about it, still waiting for the repair guys -HAAAAAAAAAAAAA.....
Really was not bad at all here-just windy-YOU BE CAREFUL was watching the weather channel today and they said it gonna hit panhandle HARD today or tonight. Maybe be upgraded from Tropical to cat 1-2 for you guys up there. Be Safe and will be thinking of you :winkkiss:

Now next weekend Ivan-WTF!!!!!!!!!!!