Hurricane Wilma

Luis G said:
Yeah :eek:

I would not worry too much about that fancy city, it could be rebuilt relatively fast. I worry about poor people livinig on the coasts that could lose everything they have.

That's the most sad and terrible thing about it. The tourist cities can cope, but the smaller villages won't have the infrastructure or resources to deal with the destruction, much less the ability to shelter or evacuate their populations.

Thanks All-do keep us in prayers......As soon as its all over I will get online. Can't afford to run...We are getting stocked up after work today. Scott has a great generator, and boarding up the windows tonight, he had the plywood from Charlie and numbered them for which one goes on which window, etc....
The boys, especially my oldest is nervous, but I will do everything in my power to keep my babies safe.

Figures this one had to be a woman hurricane, they are bitches, she'll probably come rip roaring in and leave us a mess. You know, us wimmens are good at doing that sometimes... :lol2:

Sharky said:
Welcome to South Florida, hun. :sadhug:

RIGHT! I'LL say it again...I would take a Northeastern snow storm anyday over a southern hurricane!!! :alienhuh:

Sharky said:
and thanks all the same, but I'd rather not go to Luis's "flapper thingy" :erm:

:elaugh1: OH Come On...I'll hold your hand while we look! LOL

This was in our Local Yocal Paper this morning:

Wilma's forward progress slowing as it nears Florida

Floridians girded for one of the most intense Atlantic hurricanes on record Wednesday by boarding up windows, buying supplies and praying it would go somewhere else, an all-too-familiar drill.

National Hurricane Center forecasters said the forward motion of Category 5 Wilma appears to be slowing, which could cause the storm to eventually weaken. While some forecasting models now disagree, the center is still predicting that the storm will eventually move into the Gulf of Mexico and then turn east toward Southwest Florida.

Center Director Max Mayfield said Wilma may not reach the Florida Keys until Saturday, possibly toward the evening. It had earlier been expected to reach the Florida mainland Saturday. It was still a Category 5 storm with winds near 160 mph, down from 175 mph earlier in the day.

Still, forecasters said Wilma could send flooding and towering waves smashing into the state's Gulf Coast and spread devastating winds all the way to the Atlantic coast.

''You don't want to let your guard down,'' Mayfield said.

Sharky said:
That's the most sad and terrible thing about it. The tourist cities can cope, but the smaller villages won't have the infrastructure or resources to deal with the destruction, much less the ability to shelter or evacuate their populations.

We've had so many hurricanes and storms on that part of the country that people are already used to it, as soon as they see the military coming they go to the shelters.

But their villages and property will get destroyed anyway.

Mare said:
''You don't want to let your guard down,'' Mayfield said.

Hopefully the worst part of the storm will pass far enough to the south of you that there will not be total devastation where you are, Mare. Mr. Mayfield is offering very good advice. Also, be sure and check out the link I posted above about hurricane preparedness, there is some very helpful info on it.

Luis G said:
We've had so many hurricanes and storms on that part of the country that people are already used to it, as soon as they see the military coming they go to the shelters.

But their villages and property will get destroyed anyway.

Good point, they have been through this many times before, eh. I shouldn't make assumptions about their ability to deal with it. :eh:

Professur said:
Um, in that satelite image, at about 55W12N ... is that another storm cell?

That's a disorganized tropical wave, Prof. They don't expect it to develop into a tropical cyclone:

NWS TPC/NHC Miami said:
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
530 PM EDT THU OCT 20 2005

FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...

THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER IS ISSUING ADVISORIES ON EXTREMELY
DANGEROUS HURRICANE WILMA...LOCATED ABOUT 135 MILES SOUTHEAST
OF COZUMEL MEXICO.

CLOUDINESS AND SHOWERS ASSOCIATED WITH A WESTWARD MOVING TROPICAL
WAVE EXTEND FROM THE LESSER ANTILLES SOUTHEASTWARD INTO THE ATLANTIC
FOR SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES. THIS SYSTEM REMAINS DISORGANIZED AND
TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL STORM FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED THROUGH FRIDAY.

Here's a broader view of the Atlantic on the GOES-12 infrared image (real-time, auto-refresh):

xxirg8n.GIF

The 12th hurricane of the year...tying a record,set in 1933. Was GW even alive then? The next storm will be named from th eGreek alphabet. Is November here yet?

Sharky said:
Mr. Mayfield is offering very good advice. Also, be sure and check out the link I posted above about hurricane preparedness, there is some very helpful info on it.

Checked it out yesterday Robert, [raises hands] has all of the above from previous storms and in working order! :D I don't think I'd ever get used to hurrricanes though, I for one, could live without them.

10/23/05
CANCELLATIONS/CLOSINGS

* There will be no school Monday for Charlotte and DeSoto County students. Sarasota County officials will decide this morning whether to close schools.

* All Charlotte County and Punta Gorda city government offices will be closed Monday.

Oh Joy! :alienhuh:

As long as it's before the 156 MPH crosswinds start, he should be okay. Let's hope there are plenty of barf bags if they wait until after.

Back