Hurricane Wilma

Well, she's here-can't see much outside till daylight comes.......But it sounds pretty nasty out there! Try to keep all informed!

Better yet...turn off your compi, find a nice spot in the basement with the kids and you can let us know AFTER she's passed, eh?

Looks like you've got one more band to circle and hit you in an hour or two, and that should be it. Hopefully, you're still standing.

Let us know when you can!

From what I'm reading on the Sanibel/Captiva forums, it looks like Ft. Myers dodged the bullet. Naples and Marco Island got hammered, but the further north you got, the less damage you saw. Sanibel apparently didn't even get any storm surge.

HomeLAN said:
From what I'm reading on the Sanibel/Captiva forums, it looks like Ft. Myers dodged the bullet. Naples and Marco Island got hammered, but the further north you got, the less damage you saw. Sanibel apparently didn't even get any storm surge.

Right now, it looks like most of the storm has left Florida entirely. The sun is out on the West coast, and people are starting cleanup.

Yep-everyone is fine-this one wasnt bad at all, just alot of wind and rain!Wasn't nothing but a "THING". :D

WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Looky what Wilma brought us though! :D

Port Charlotte, FL (as of 4:53 AM) Today's forecast °F | °C

Feels like: 58°

Barometer: 29.91 in
Dewpoint: 40°
Humidity: 51%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 12mph NNE
UV Index: 0 Low
Sunrise: 7:33 AM
Sunset: 6:51 PM

Today Lo: 55°

Clear/Wind
8 AM 75°
Squalls

12 PM 68°
Squalls

6 PM 71°
Mostly Sunny/Wind

More overextended media hype with fools standing in the rain for ratings. When do Floridians get their $2000. voucher?

Gonz said:
More overextended media hype with fools standing in the rain for ratings. When do Floridians get their $2000. voucher?
Pffft. There are no cries of "RACISM!!11!!one!!" to be assuaged with cash. Also, we have a lot of experience dealing with hurricanes, our (competent) state government and most of the residents have enough sense to prepare for them and know how to deal with the aftermath. But there will always be malcontents and morons:

Spoiled Twit Who Apparently Expects Instant Gratification said:
"This is like the Third World," said Claudia Shaw, who spent several hours in a gas line. "We live in a state where we suffer from these storms every year. Where is the planning?"
"Third World"?

Jeb! said:
On Thursday, Bush again pleaded for patience and said supplies were shipped overnight to Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.

"While we have a historic amount of product coming to these places, it's not enough, so we're going to have a couple of days before we get to the point where our supply will meet the demand," he said.
Supplies would have gone much further if people had been better prepared! (notice I said people, not government)

FP&L said:
The state's largest utility, Florida Power & Light, had restored power by Thursday to about 36 percent of the 6 million people who had lost it. Officials warned, however, that the full restoration process could last through Nov. 22 in Miami-Dade and Broward counties.

"All we can do is be patient and tell them an estimated time because we don't know what we might find down the line," utility foreman Heath Lowery said in Coral Gables. "We don't come out here and just turn a switch on and the lights come back."
"Third World", eh? It's only been THREE DAYS since landfall, and power has already been restored to more than a third of the affected customers. :rolleyes:

What galls me is the people who, even with the NHC/NWS shouting "Here comes a major hurricane!" for at least a week prior to landfall, there are so many morons who fail to prepare. There are news reports of people standing in line for hours to get water and food. Except for those whose homes were totally destroyed along with their supplies, there is simply no excuse for not being better prepared. Why is there always a run on stores the day before predicted landfall, wiping out their inventory of items which should have been procured before hurricane season began? Arrgh.

Quotes from: AP article

another article

The Florida death toll included a Broward County man who died after running a generator inside his house, prompting renewed warnings about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"You would not drive your car into your living room and leave it running," Florida Lt. Gov. Toni Jennings said. "Well, people are putting their generators in their living room."

:nono: :banghead: :bitchslap :disgust2:

A.B.Normal said:
Wouldn't want it to get looted now wouldya. :evilcool:
Chain it to a tree. :lloyd:

Mine has it's own shed behind my garage, but you would need a crane to steal it, anyway. :p

Can't be that big if I can steal it with this:

crane.jpg

through Nov. 22

Oh, the horror. Where are the vouchers? Where is my relocation kit? Oh it's hot, gimme food...gimme water....gimme a debit card.

Sharky said:
our (competent) state government
SAy, they're not Democrats are they? ;)

No electricity for a month...it's an issue.

Less of an issue than if Florida was further north where it's starting to get cold, but...

I mean...c'mon. People are going to miss seeing "Lost" for a month!!!

It's a huge issue & where is the media? Where are the cries of incompetence? Where is FEMA & why is the FEMA boss still working?

Back