I hear the call...

Inky, if ever one time you had a bite of my broil, you would repent of your heresy.

I have my own marinade, perfected over years of experimentation. It never fails to satisfy.

SouthernN'Proud said:
I have my own marinade, perfected over years of experimentation. It never fails to satisfy.

He lost me when he said
Santa Maria-style BBQ

California does not make barbecue. They don't have the insight for it. It's just fancy ketchup. ;)

That ain't barbecue. Son, didn't you learn nothin' when you came down here?

Barbecue is slow roasted over open flame, slathered in sauce, then pulled and shredded by hand. Then slathered in more sauce. Real sauce...none of that sissy southwest fancy-schmancy frufru stuff. Here's a sure fire giveaway: If your sauce has cilantro, lime, the zest of anything, or any fruit whatsoever in the recipe, it ain't barbecue.

You should be able to taste the smoke in every bite.

You should require no less than 14 medium-size paper towels after finishing your meal.

You should feel moderate depression when you finish your meal, because there ain't no more barbecue.

Barbecue should only be served with the following side items: baked beans, fried potatoes, slaw, pickle spears, sliced onion, or corn on the cob. Period. No salad allowed. Too damn healthy.

I swear, I'll get you edumacated yet! :lloyd:

No sauce actually goes on the meat. It's just salt, pepper and garlic salt. The flavor is in the oak wood used to smoke the meat with and in the meat itself.

Inkara1 said:
No sauce actually goes on the meat. It's just salt, pepper and garlic salt. The flavor is in the oak wood used to smoke the meat with and in the meat itself.

No sauce=no barbecue. Sorry, Inky. Dry rubs are not barbecue. Never have been, and never will be, regardless of what Foodnetwork tells you. I admit to assuming that the grilled meat you were speaking of was smothered in burnt ketchup, but the result is the same. At least they're on the right track, using wood, and not gas, to cook the meat.

As an aside...when using your sauce, brush it on during the last 10 minutes of cooking time, give or take 3 minutes. That way, your sauce doesn't burn, but the flavor goes all the way to the bone. :wink2:

If by dry rub, you mean salt, pepper and garlic salt is shaken onto the meat, then I guess it is. The only utensil that ever touches the meat before it's taken off the drill is tongs to turn it over... or a big-ass fork for turning. No brush.

Inkara1 said:
If by dry rub, you mean salt, pepper and garlic salt is shaken onto the meat, then I guess it is. The only utensil that ever touches the meat before it's taken off the drill is tongs to turn it over... or a big-ass fork for turning. No brush.

Yep. That's a dry rub.

you should try canadian BBQ

turn on gas grill but on burgers and hotdogs

canadian BBQ

actually at the calgary stampeded i had entire brisket slow smokes the shredded and sauced

liek nothing i ever had before, i would ALMOST move to taste more

but i am not moving again, excpet tomorrow morning, but that is it.

:hmm: You had me up until you said gas grill. There ain't no such animal. A gas grill is nothing more than an outdoor stove. If you're going to get a grill, get a real grill, and not an outdoor stovetop.

Gato_Solo said:
:hmm: You had me up until you said gas grill. There ain't no such animal. A gas grill is nothing more than an outdoor stove. If you're going to get a grill, get a real grill, and not an outdoor stovetop.

steak over wood embers, we grill here, no real BBQ

tried the real stuff, and there is a cooking show, that gave me a BUNCH of ideas

paul_valaru said:
steak over wood embers, we grill here, no real BBQ

tried the real stuff, and there is a cooking show, that gave me a BUNCH of ideas

Try one of these if you can find one. I've got one that looks almost exactly like it, but in a silver/gray color. The seperate firebox is a lifesaver, since you don't lose as much heat when you have to restoke the charcoal or wood. It's also heavy as hell, so you really don't want to move it around much. ;)

paul_valaru said:
what is the firbox for?

The firebox is for the fire. The heat of the fire in the firebox, with a bit of help from the damper on the flue, will make the cooking area hot enough to grill your food to perfection. If you prefer smoking to the higher heat of grilling, you can make all the smoke you want in the firebox area, and, once again, use the flue to control the amount of smoke in the cooking area. If you're in a huge hurry, however, you can make a charcoal 'fire' in both sides. Not a good idea, but it works. The best reason for the offset firebox, though, I've already mentioned...to let you stoke the fire without losing too much heat in the cooking area. In a grill without the firebox, you'd have to open the lid, move the food, lift the grill, put in your fuel, put the grill back, put the food back, and, finally, close the lid. You can lose a lot of heat that way, and both grilling and barbecue require high heat, as well as the smoke, to work.

With the grills used for Santa Maria-style BBQ, you just turn the crank to lift the grill up to be able to get to the wood to stoke the fire, then just lower the grill again.

Inkara1 said:
With the grills used for Santa Maria-style BBQ, you just turn the crank to lift the grill up to be able to get to the wood to stoke the fire, then just lower the grill again.

You still use up more time. All I do is grab an armful of wood, open up, dump the wood, and close the lid again. Max of 10 to 20 seconds.

Its' true that it's not as quick as a firebox... but it's quicker than having to move the food. It's a time-honored tradition over here. The Santa Maria Chamber of Commerce actually trademarked the recipe.

Back