Important notice: Server move

insiderhosting

dan said:
this "it's all about how long your ISP caches the DNS" for business sounds... well... fishy at least, and like crap at worst...

Each DNS record has a field called TTL which says how long ISPs are allowed to cache the response for, so the time taken is at most the time specified by the owner of the record. okay, some DNS servers might be rebooted or whatever, but in the general case it's TTL.

But anyway, what i saw, and i expect what a lot of people saw, was not that the wrong server was being resolved, but that the address wasn't resolving at all.

DNS was saying that otcentral.com just plain didn't exist.

that's not caching, surely?

i suppose that type of response might have happened if the original DNS server was taken down and everyone sat around waiting for the new one to appear, but that'd just be silly considering it gave me a good couple of days downtime...

correct me if i'm wrong, but negative responses are only cached for a maximum of 5 minutes... a couple of days would be plenty of time for those to become uncached...

i guess it doesn't really matter anymore... sounds like there's some glossing over happening though...

Hi Dan,
You are correct, but what we neglected to tell you was that OTcentral is a different kind of account that Sam and Fury had with their previous provider. Once Sam told me what happening we immediately increased the ttl, but you are forgetting that the nameservers need to have time to update in the registry, then for the ISP's to pick up the changes. It matters how fast a registrar updates the release when a dns change is made.

-Steven

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Oh man, watch out, This host actually reads what's on the site. Quick hide the...Hey, Steven, welcome to OTC. :wave:

A.B.Normal

hmm.gif

Three posts and not a :headbang: in sight:rolleyes:

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
insiderhosting said:
Hi Dan,
You are correct, but what we neglected to tell you was that OTcentral is a different kind of account that Sam and Fury had with their previous provider. Once Sam told me what happening we immediately increased the ttl, but you are forgetting that the nameservers need to have time to update in the registry, then for the ISP's to pick up the changes. It matters how fast a registrar updates the release when a dns change is made.

-Steven

Anybody else notice this?

dan

okay... i'll reply for steve - i'm sure he'll correct me if i'm wrong :)

the basic way DNS works is that it's a hireachical system. to find, say, the address of www.otcentral.com, you first find out who's got the details for ".com" domains, then ask them who's got the details for ".otcentral.com" addresses, and then ask them what the address of "www.otcentral.com" is.

the people who've got the addresses of the nameservers for .com domains would be the "registry" people steve mentioned.

so, what i think happened was that steve (i use his name to mean his company) told the registry that otcentral.com was going to have a new nameserver, set that up, and then promptly took down the old one.

now, in theory the registry people should have updated thier records post haste, so everyone would get the details from the new DNS server and everything would have been gravy. sadly though, the registry looks like they took a while (say a couple of days) to update thier details.

which means that for those days our DNS resolvers were happily asking for the address of the otcentral.com nameserver, and being told it lived on a machine that was turned off. oops.

once the registry updated the stuff on thier nameserver, it all started resolving properly.

that'd be my guess anyway... could all be rubbish...

greenfreak

I think you should have been my TCP/IP teacher, Dan. Your explination totally made sense to me and made me remember all that stuff from school two years ago. :wink2: Thanks man! Dan the man! That's you! :D

dan

hmm... well, it's obviously hard to tell what's going on after the fact...

looking at the whois data for both xi and otc, the details are pretty much the same for both. interestingly, they both say "Last Updated on: 08-NOV-02". ie, the registry (dotster in this case) details havn't changed on either domain since at least early november...

hmm... i dunno :shrug:

dan

greenfreak said:
I think you should have been my TCP/IP teacher, Dan. Your explination totally made sense to me and made me remember all that stuff from school two years ago. :wink2: Thanks man! Dan the man! That's you! :D

heh, thanks :D

insiderhosting

Dan,
Great post really, I meant to say we decreased the ttl as that was an obvious oversight since you all overwork me. In regards to the dns I was referring to the changing of the phantasyworkshosting.com nameservers. We had to update the nameserver IPs to point to IPs on our servers..

-Steven

Aunty Em

Hee hee, looks like we have a new recruit to the board... :D

You do realise once you start posting you'll find it hard to stop?

tommyj27

Not really Banned
it was a tough couple of days if your (my) school is a bunch of tards and they have a fractional T1 for 400+ wired students and make up for it by running a Squid server (or black hole, depending on how you feel about them) :mad: