Is it art or is it marketing?

The market value of art has little or nothing to do with value. Why does Jennifer Lopez earn more than some teacher in an inner city high school trying to inspire at-risk youth? Is her contribution of greater value? Supply and demand fueled by social trends are what I suppose MrBishop started this thread about....and not what I was writing about....sorry, Bish...guess I've gone off-topic... :ashamed:

To compare Michelangelo to Warhol doesn't work --- it's like comparing Monteverdi to the Beatles -- apples and oranges. If contemporary art doesn't engage you, that's fine. I enjoy Michelangelo's work, but I can't STAND contemporary artists regurgitating the same old imagery that was explored and mapped hundreds of years ago. Say something new or be silent.

So, am I to assume you have no Schnabel or Lichtenstein masterpieces on your wall :D

early Schnabel...the plate paintings...I loved

Lichtenstein always bored me

if I had the money to buy either of them, I'd pass and get Robert Ryman or Sol Lewitt...I have a weakness for minimalists and conceptual art :blush:

won't pretend to admire everyone in their collection, but I do like most of it... :ashamed: :blush: I find the key to keeping my sanity is to separate the art from the art world...most of which is duplicitous, petty and vengeful...

It was/is an amazing collection. Artists like Sherman, Golub & Baldessari are hacks with marketing skills. See it every day & it gets tiresome. :shrug:

thanks for the shot, now pass the bottle ;)

I'm at work right now...my need is greater than yours, darlin'...but I'm happy to share...

I've always LIKED Baldessari...and he was not a national name for many years...and even still his reputation is not half that of some of the YBAs (Young British Artist)...now you wanna talk marketing...let's talk about Charles Saatchi...after I have another drink....

Ms Ann Thrope said:
Just as I wouldn't appreciate the music of Ornette Coleman had I not already been a fan of Charlie Parker, or enjoy the books of Italo Calvino if I hadn't read James Joyce. The more you learn about ANYTHING, the more discriminating you become, intentionally or not.

Nothing wrong with having knowledge about art and appreciating it more because of it, but IMO you should be able to appreciate art without any sort of background knowledge. Not sure if my words actually mean what i'm trying to say.

but that kind of art is usually the most simplistic and shallow...if it's easy to grasp, why do I want to bother? I'm only interested in spending my time on that which challenges me...if it doesn't, I walk away, change the channel, turn the dial, close the book.....

Ms Ann Thrope said:
but that kind of art is usually the most simplistic and shallow...if it's easy to grasp, why do I want to bother? I'm only interested in spending my time on that which challenges me...if it doesn't, I walk away, change the channel, turn the dial, close the book.....

Hmmm, now that i see it that way it makes sense, i like math but i wouldn't spend my time doing multiplications.

:wink2:

Luis... I can see an arm with a stick trying to knock over a cross. Powerful. I'll offer you 120,000 pesos for it... isn't that about $3 or $4? :D

ok, I'll take those MX$120,000, I doubt you have that ammoung in your account right now :p

Luis G said:
ok, I'll take those MX$120,000, I doubt you have that ammoung in your account right now :p

pass on it Inkara. LuisG is so yesterday. tonk's multi color butt prints are where the true art investors are looking. who knew she had a multi color butt.

*phanwink*

Thulsa Doom said:
pass on it Inkara. LuisG is so yesterday. tonk's multi color butt prints are where the true art investors are looking. who knew she had a multi color butt.

*phanwink*

I think thats the first time I've ever seen that smilie used. Ever.

Luis G said:

What is the exchange rate, anyway? I just remember the peso crashing, a $35 pair of Levis Jeans costing thousands upon thousands of pesos, and the Mexican government issuing a "new peso" twice.

Ms Ann Thrope said:

That is based upon your own perspective...what challenges you personally. If you find a piece that challenges you and forces you to look at the piece in a different way, but for me..it's old hat; is it any less artful? If a piece challenges 30% of the population enough for them to revisit their opinions on art but for you...it's same-ol-same-ol, is THAT any less artful?

I'm not suggesting that art should be the lowest common denominator, but it shouldn't be above the majority in order for it to be considered real art.

Why should I have to get a degree in art history before I can appreciate this 'real art'? Why do I have to have exposure to a great range of art in order to appreciate one pice or another.

Seems to me like you are more impressed with the artists' ability to break the mold rather than his/her ability to touch the soul. Why can't s/he do both?

Inkara1 said:
What is the exchange rate, anyway? I just remember the peso crashing, a $35 pair of Levis Jeans costing thousands upon thousands of pesos, and the Mexican government issuing a "new peso" twice.

No, our goverment has issued new peso only once, back in 1993.

The average exchange rate is US$1 = MX$10

Back