Is it spring yet?

MrBishop

freako104 said:
you say that like its a bad thing ;) not totally bad tho not everyone should ;)

hmmm...lemme see. Winter. TIme to overeat and get no sun at all, but not care any because your body is covered with a heavy winter-coat.

So..what we're getting for the first few weeks is flabby, pale-skinned masochists who think that baring skin and risking it freezing off, is more important than actually being warm.

I've also noticed a few idiotic teenagers not wearing coats, boots or hats...but sometimes even wearing shorts just to show off how tough they are. Idiots!

It's still friggin' cold! Don't show off nothing that won't look equally sexy with frost-bite on it!

Sharky

Smell of Skunks Mean Spring in Indiana

ELKHART, Ind. - Spring is in the air — and it stinks.

While the groundhog may receive more media attention, some Hoosiers say it's skunks that are the true heralds of the coming of spring. And if the smelly critters are to be believed, it's here.

"You can always tell when the frost comes out of the ground. That's when all the skunks come," said Dave Hess, who farms in northern Indiana's Elkhart County.

"I've noticed the last three days, all of a sudden they're on the move big time," he said. "It's springtime."

Perhaps that's because in spring a young skunk's fancy turns to thoughts of other skunks. Males of the species travel more during February seeking mates for the annual courting season.

And to a skunk seeking a new den, an accessible basement may be irresistible.

"This is the time of year we hear a lot of reports of skunk sightings and skunk spraying because they're out doing their business," said Dr. Jerry Sellon, a Wakarusa veterinarian.

Though generally not troublesome, skunks will sometimes make themselves unwelcome around human residences by spraying their repugnant musk in confrontations with dogs, in scrapes with automobiles or disagreements with other wildlife, even other skunks.

Sellon advises keeping a safe distance — skunks' spray can be accurate up to 10 feet — but if dogs or cats — or humans — run afoul of the spray, he recommends tomato juice.

Bathing in it, not drinking it.

Skunks, a member of the weasel family, have contrasting black and white fur and a long, bushy tail. Typically cat-sized, they range from about five to 10 pounds in weight.

Skunks are beneficial in that they feed on insects, grubs, spiders and even an occasional mouse or vole. They also include frogs, crawfish, bird and reptile eggs and some plant matter in their diet.

But for Elkhart County Highway Department employees, they mean more work. During spring and summer, workers may receive calls on an almost daily basis to remove the remains of skunks whose spray failed to deter an oncoming car.

A skunk isn't just a sign of spring, said Mike Beasey, administrative coordinator for the department. "It's a sign of a smelly job," he said.

:lol2: Suddenly, armadillos don't seem so bad after all . . .

Mare

Sharky said:
:lol2: Suddenly, armadillos don't seem so bad after all . . .

ARMADILLOS !!! :eyepop: Got a new job at a golf club and that's all I've been seeing lately.....They are some UGLY critters..... :lol2:

black pigs, snakes, lizards, tons of red ants, love bugs, etc....Must be getting close all these new critters are coming out here.....

freako104

god its nice out! sunny feels like 70! man this is awesome!!! umm Bish I was referring to spring being nice and girls wearing less. besides some girls want someone to keep them warm. and they feel nice when then do.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
it's 8:17am and it is 25ºC in my room...and it isn't here yet :bolt:

I slept without a shirt and with my window wide open.

Ms Ann Thrope

My daffodils are blooming and my crocuses are fading. Seems too soon for this. Tulips are all coming out big time, too. :eek:

My lilac bushes are heavy with buds, so it looks like mid to late April might be fragrant. :love3:

anyone else have something blooming in their garden?

Oz

Ms Ann Thrope said:
My daffodils are blooming and my crocuses are fading. Seems too soon for this. Tulips are all coming out big time, too. :eek:

My lilac bushes are heavy with buds, so it looks like mid to late April might be fragrant. :love3:

Yup! And as I only moved into this house last November, it's all being a bit of a surprise what turns up :)

Snowdrops have been and gone. Quite a nice crop of daffodils at the mo', crocus' are coming along nicely and one of the trees (who's name I can't remember) has burst into yellow flower :swing:

Also, a miniaure willow tree......which I thought was pretty much dead...seems to have life left in it yet! :)

Ms Ann Thrope

yellow flower? a tree?

hm... sounds similar to a shrub we have around here called forsythia... very pretty

forsyens.jpg

Oz

Ms Ann Thrope said:
yellow flower? a tree?

hm... sounds similar to a shrub we have around here called forsythia... very pretty

forsyens.jpg

That's the fella! forsythia!
Thanks Natalie :) :swing:

A.B.Normal

Ms Ann Thrope said:

Daffodils have been blooming for several weeks ,apple tree is budding and should be in full bloom soon .There is a small ground cover in the backyard covered in purple flowers and allergys are going full throttle :crying4: {I'm not crying those are my eyes watering from allergies}

tonksy

i planted 2 pots of flowers for the girls, one is full of gerber daisies and the other is a common flower that for the life of me i can't recallthe name of...the japanese maple exploded in color the other day and the azaleas are opening...everywhere else in the yard is very green...there is english ivy just everywhere! i love the way it's crawled it's way up the tree trunks.