It will never get better...

PrincessLissa

10 Dead in Minn. Teen Rampage, Police Say

By JOSHUA FREED, Associated Press Writer

BEMIDJI, Minn. - A high school student went on a shooting rampage on an Indian reservation Monday, killing his grandparents at their home and then seven people at his school, grinning and waving as he fired, authorities and witnesses said. The suspect apparently killed himself after exchanging gunfire with police.

Source

Lopan

Its a bit late for gun control, maybe the hierarchal school system is to blame. I hear American schools can be pretty vicious on the weak and un sporty. True or not?

chcr

Too cute for words
I imagine that there are thousands of these people, all over the world, right on the edge of something like this. Who knows what pushes one over the edge? We never will. Maybe he saw a TV commercial that pissed him off?

Lopan said:
I hear American schools can be pretty vicious on the weak and un sporty. True or not?
I hear they are too. They didn't seem that way when I was in school, but I ran with the popular crowd and being a post-pubescent boy I might not have noticed. I don't think they were though. We were more polite then and this "win at all costs" attitude was less pervasive.

Of course, we only had bronze age weapons back then. :lol:

freako104

somewhat. Some schools yes some no. Generally they are. Its been found that most of the school shooters were outcasts and such. sad that it still happens tho

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I despised the popular crowd, the jocks. They were stereotypical TV-movie idiots (well, enough of them to make a quorum). I hung out with the stoners, not getting stoned, and made fun of them. We even brought weapons to school They weren't used for hunting students.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
And I am convinced that all is rosy in all of the motherland's learning academies at all times.

I seem to recall a period of time when school kids ran wild in London, brandishing bats and other weapons and randomly bashing cars and stuff with them. Late 70s or so. In fact, I think it earned the nickname "punks". Maybe if there had been guns, private citizens could have...well, you know.

Kids with guns in schools is a terrifying thought. However, it is not reason enough to ban guns.

Kids with sharpened ink pens and scissors in schools can kill a lot of people. Should we ban pens and scissors from society just so nobody's kid takes one to school?

I'm really getting tired of repeating myself here. A firearm is nothing more than a tool. An implement. It can take your life; it can save your life. It will do nothing until a thinking human being performs the required motor skills necessary to make it go boom. Just as a butcher knife in a drawer won't cut your wrists unless you pick it up, turn it the proper direction, place the blade on your wrist, and exert sufficient pressure to penetrate. Until then, the knife is not hurting anyone.

I weep for the kids killed in this horific tragedy. I weep for the young man who perpetrated it. But we as a society must look elsewhere for a convenient scapegoat.

I fired my first gun at age 11. I owned my first firearm by age 14. It never one time crossed my mind to ever take that gun to school. Something within my self kept me from having thoughts like that. Obviously, this young man had no such preventative thought pattern. That still does not make it the gun's fault.

I fully expect all the anti-gun nuts to come scrambling out of their holes and start wailing and moaning. More of the "I don't therefore I'll make it so you can't" ideaology that everyone seems so enamored with. Wail and moan away. I got me a constitutional amendment that says you can't have my gun. It says you can't make me get rid of it. And to get it away from me, somebody has to come out and get it, right? Any volunteers?

I didn't think so.

Cry for the victims. Cry for the families. Pray for change. And stop placing blame where it doesn't belong.

Lopan

erm, I was talking more about the hierarchal system of public schools that could be to blame for the not taking sufficient care of its most dissafected pupils. If they did maybe the local grave diggers wouldnt be on overtime today.

n.b killing 10 people with a pen is alot harder than killing 10 people with a gun.

British schools aren't great, mine was a complete warzone. There wasn't a regime though that promoted the sporty above everyone else. This meant that even the chess playing IT geeks were on a level playing field.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
public schools that could be to blame for the not taking sufficient care of its most dissafected pupils.

Wouldn't that be the work of the parents?

Lopan

When they are at home. When your in the care of the school, they should make sure your not getting bullied.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
When they are at home. When your in the care of the school, they should make sure your not getting bullied.

Not allowing bullying takes sufficient care of it's most disaffected students? I'm not following your line of thought.

Lopan

I think the kid who shot everyone had been bullied?

Now if he had an average home life but at school was bullied, then isn't it the responsibility of the school to make sure it stops?

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
It's the responsibility of the school to educate him. Providing a safe environment is part of their responsibility. I don't place the responsibility to make sure the kid don't get teased on the school system; that falls on the parents of the other kids.

Winky

MORE guns in schools!
If the quote unquote "security guard"
had been armed perhaps the body count would have been Much lower (zero perhaps?) Yep here in the wild wild west
nearly every school campi has a real life policeman complete with sidearm.
"Hey you stop shooting your fellow students."
"Hey no way man this is way fun"
BLAM nuff said Fred.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
I think the kid who shot everyone had been bullied?

Now if he had an average home life but at school was bullied, then isn't it the responsibility of the school to make sure it stops?

Ah, ok. Bullying is overplayed as an excuse. People have been bullied since the beginning of time. See SnP's response.

Lopan

SouthernN'Proud said:
that falls on the parents of the other kids.

And if those parents don't take any responsibility? Shouldn't the buck stop somewhere logical like the school. Afterall teachers are partly responsible for moulding kids into adults.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Lopan said:
Afterall teachers are partly responsible for moulding kids into adults.

They are responsible to teach facts...leave the molding to the parents.