It's illegal alien

paul_valaru said:
I meant in your home country.

That's what the consulate is supposed to do...check your priors in your home country. Once you are cleared by the consulate, you can get your visa, and come across the border legally. ;)

flavio said:
Americans move to Canada all the time. Do they all have to prove their worth to get a green card first?

Since Canada has a fairly small population for it's landmass, they have different rules. Why wouldn't they? It's also not as easy as you think.

1. Last I heard, there was a 1 year waiting list for Americans wanting to set up permanent residence in Canada...please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

2. The last emigration from the US to Canada happened during the Vietnam war, when they let in the 'draft dodgers' (mostly rich, upper-class folks), under their refugee clause...provided that they had an income of one sort or another...

Gato_Solo said:
Since Canada has a fairly small population for it's landmass, they have different rules. Why wouldn't they? It's also not as easy as you think.
I lived and worked in Canada for several months in 1979. The paperwork and fees were such a huge hassle that I never booked another gig there. Gato's right Flav. You don't just waltz into Canada and go to work, at least not legally.

flavio said:
What exactly does it take for them to immigrate legally? Why wouldn't they all go that route?

To receive a tourist visa:
- Be rich or have a well paid permanent job.
- Graduate or postgraduate preferably.
- Give exact details of your activities, including hotels, places and people you are visiting.
- Pay US$100 for the investigation.
- Wait hours at the embassy to have an interview with an asshole that only wants to deny the visa.
- Be treated like shit at the embassy.

To receive a worker card:
- Do not need the job you're getting.
- Be rich.
- Have a pre-agreement on who will hire you, people that apply to go and find a job are most likely to get rejected.

edit: gotta go, will complete the list later.

Wow, what happened to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"?

I heard a storya few days ago about a woman and her son in Central America. The father had run off and the mother didn't many options to support her kid. The choice was pretty much becoming a prostitute or going to the US and sending money back to the boys grandparents.

:shrug:

flavio said:
Sounds like getting a green card can be difficult.

Wow. *smacks forehead* I never thought of that.

It's hard to get a Stanford stamped PhD so I think we should all just go steal one.

The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
with conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
a mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame,
"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Placed on the statue in 1903...not part of the original design.

She overlooks the harbor & the boatloads of immigrants coming from various places were heading for Ellis Island...where they were checked & allowed admission or denied & sent packing.

flavio said:
Ok.

Just read most of this........
Immigration to the United States
Did you?
attachment.php

Now, may I suggest you read some history. You seem to be laboring under the mistaken impression that it used to be easier to immigrate to the US than it is now. I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. Ellis Island, requirements for citizenship, etc., etc., etc...

:rolleyes:

wiki said:
The majority of African slaves came to the future United States before it gained independence. The numbers remain less than clear, but it is believed that some 300,000 slaves arrived in the British North American colonies before 1776, and some 100,000 were imported in the period between then and 1860.

Somebody with some sense wrote that

wiki is rarely completely inaccurate, just biased toward the author at the time and far from complete.

chcr said:
Did you?

Now, may I suggest you read some history.

Did you find something there very innaccurate?

You seem to be laboring under the mistaken impression that it used to be easier to immigrate to the US than it is now. I can assure you that nothing could be further from the truth. Ellis Island, requirements for citizenship, etc., etc., etc...

Actually I don't have that impression at all. This section says tens of millions immigrated between 1850-1930 but I'm not sure how they went about proving their worth.

This section however shows that it was indeed hard for many based on health, beliefs, or lack of education, or race.

Hell, it used to be illegal for lunatics to immigrate. Good thing we're already citizens. :D

Back