Joining the ranks of the Unemployed™

MrBishop

Well...it was fun while it lasted, but it's over now.

I've been laid off, as of yesterday. I went in today to give in my keys, sign some papers and try and set up some deal with my ex-boss for some freelance work. They can't continue without a Graphic Designer, but they have to cut..so I get to work occasionally from home.

Isn't that just dandy!

I'm one of 11 in the last two weeks to be let go, and I've been told that there are more hard cuts to come.

I'll be on more often, but concentrating on finding work at the same time.

Wish me luck

Professur

Sucks to be you dude. Wish I could offer something. They're always looking for pole climbers here. I wouldn't suggest it, but feel free to use my name if you think it'll help.

You haven't signed anything concerning your replacement wheels, have ya?

Winky

It’s not what happens to you during a recession that counts
but where you find yourself, once its over.

2minkey

bootlicker
good luck bishop.

where i work, we just laid off one of our two graphics folks, and a bunch of research analysts.

MrBishop

Thanks all... can't say that I expected it, nor am I terribly happy about it, but 'everything happens for a reason', eh

Time to dust off the web-job hunting sites, and refresh the ol' resumé and see where it takes me. :D

JTP

Welcome to the ranks. I was bummed for a few days, but have found the extra time exhilarating in a way. One thing that helped me was the simple device of calling myself "self-employed" instead of "unemployed". Job Title: Boss Man; Job Description: Whatever I feel like doing.
I know you have a good sense of humor, so "Free your mind and your ass will follow"!
Buena suerte

Professur

Thanks all... can't say that I expected it, nor am I terribly happy about it, but 'everything happens for a reason', eh

Time to dust off the web-job hunting sites, and refresh the ol' resumé and see where it takes me. :D

I was saving this one for a Daily motivator, but what the hell

This Is Good

An old story is told of a king in Africa who had a close friend with whom he grew up. The friend had a habit of looking at every situation that ever occurred in his life (positive or negative) and remarking, "This is good!"

One day the king and his friend were out on a hunting expedition. The friend would load and prepare the guns for the king. The friend had apparently done something wrong in preparing one of the guns, for after taking the gun from his friend, the king fired it and his thumb was blown off. Examining the situation the friend remarked as usual, "This is good!" To which the king replied, "No, this is NOT good!" and proceeded to send his friend to jail.

About a year later, the king was hunting in an area that he should have known to stay clear of. Cannibals captured him and took him to their village. They tied his hands, stacked some wood, set up a stake and bound him to the stake. As they came near to set fire to the wood, they noticed that the king was missing a thumb. Being superstitious, they never ate anyone that was less than whole. So untying the king, they sent him on his way.

As he returned home, he was reminded of the event that had taken his thumb and felt remorse for his treatment of his friend. He went immediately to the jail to speak with his friend. "You were right," he said, "it was good that my thumb was blown off." And he proceeded to tell the friend all that had just happened. "And so I am very sorry for sending you to jail for so long. It was bad for me to do this."

"No," his friend replied, "This is good!" "What do you mean,'This is good'? How could it be good that I sent my friend to jail for a year?" "If I had NOT been in jail, I would have been with you."

- Author Unknown

MrBishop

Finished one freelance job...about 60% through a second now. Waiting for news of a third. It's keeping me busy.

Jobs are few and far between, but I'm hitting them all. This week, I'll be cold-calling companies...that'll be fun!

MrBishop

Hourly rate's close to 2x for freelance work, but I'm getting less work, so they're saving coin. There's no way that I can rack up enough freelance work to cover my former salary. (not to mention insurance and UI rates).

Where I might be called in to help someone with their ppoint presentation, or modify a pdf, or any number of small jobs while I was 'at work', they certainly aren't authorizing their employees to contact me at home to do that anymore.

They're also getting very picky about what they get designed/laid out. Where I used to create a 1-page document for some salesman, print 20-40 and mail it out to him, they're asking the salesmen to do their own damn design and print it at Bureau en Gros now.

valkyrie

Well...it was fun while it lasted, but it's over now.

I've been laid off, as of yesterday. I went in today to give in my keys, sign some papers and try and set up some deal with my ex-boss for some freelance work. They can't continue without a Graphic Designer, but they have to cut..so I get to work occasionally from home.

Isn't that just dandy!

I'm one of 11 in the last two weeks to be let go, and I've been told that there are more hard cuts to come.

I'll be on more often, but concentrating on finding work at the same time.

Wish me luck
Look on the bright side: you're in Canada so you will have nicer benefits than in the USofA, and you never have to worry about whether you will have money to pay for the doctor if your kids get sick or hurt.

I wish you luck on finding your next gig, my friend! Use all of your contacts as soon as possible to find your next job. Remember that it's never what you know but WHO you know that will get your foot in the door when a job comes open.