Kids kicked off a bus for speaking English

highwayman

Horse shit...
Taxes are paid to the schools NOT to segreagate but educate...

http://kstptv5.com/article/stories/S21143.html?cat=1
Imagine sending your kids off to school, but when they get to the bus they are told they can't get on because they speak English.

That's right, English.

It happened to a few children in St. Paul and now the school district is apologizing.

Rachel Armstrong sent her kids to pick up the bus as usual Monday, but after the driver let the kids on, he told them he would not pick them up again. He even said he wouldn't take them home that afternoon.

Armstrong left work early Tuesday, forced to pick up her kids from Phalen Lake Elementary School.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ahem...

The district also discovered the Armstrongs no longer live in the Phalen Lake School boundary because they moved last year.

Stirring shit, or valid complaint?

Administrators at St. Paul Public Schools admit the district made a mistake when it stranded the kids at school Monday.

However, the district points out, that particular bus route serves one of three language academies. The one at Phalen Lake is for Hmong students learning English.

The academies all have separate bus routes to keep its students together.

Looks like the former to me. Notice the last 4 words in that sentence in bold...

MrBishop

So..the kids got on the wrong bus. Not kicked off for speaking English, but kicked off for being on the wrong bus.

Hell..not even kicked off, just told that they're on the wrong bus and not to try and take it in the afternoon.

Spin Doctoring by the mother.

Gato_Solo

So..the kids got on the wrong bus. Not kicked off for speaking English, but kicked off for being on the wrong bus.

Hell..not even kicked off, just told that they're on the wrong bus and not to try and take it in the afternoon.

Spin Doctoring by the mother.

AFAIK, that was the correct bus, because the school district had no idea that the family had moved. *If they had stayed in that neighborhood, they would've known that the school curriculum had changed a bit, and could've gotten a waiver for the kids to ride the bus. Hell...the mom may work in that neighborhood, and is trying to use the system to her advantage...*

*speculation

MrBishop

AFAIK, that was the correct bus, because the school district had no idea that the family had moved. *If they had stayed in that neighborhood, they would've known that the school curriculum had changed a bit, and could've gotten a waiver for the kids to ride the bus. Hell...the mom may work in that neighborhood, and is trying to use the system to her advantage...*

*speculation

Actually...I was thinking of the "Kids kicked off a bus for speaking English" as spin doctoring. They weren't kicked off a bus, and it wasn't for speaking English...but it sells more papers if it is made to sound like that was the case.

chcr

Too cute for words
Actually...I was thinking of the "Kids kicked off a bus for speaking English" as spin doctoring. They weren't kicked off a bus, and it wasn't for speaking English...but it sells more papers if it is made to sound like that was the case.

That's what I got out of it too. Do they think people only read the headline (obviously they do and just as obviously they're right a lot of the time)?

MrBishop

That's what I got out of it too. Do they think people only read the headline (obviously they do and just as obviously they're right a lot of the time)?

"I was furious. I was at work and I was just mad." Armstrong said. "I felt like we were being discriminated because we speak English. Just because they speak English, they can't ride the school bus. I mean, this is America, right?"

With statements like that added in...pretty incendiary, eh

Gato_Solo

"I was furious. I was at work and I was just mad." Armstrong said. "I felt like we were being discriminated because we speak English. Just because they speak English, they can't ride the school bus. I mean, this is America, right?"

You haven't learned from that 'calling a spade a spade' thread, eh? Instead of 'freedom of speech', think more along the lines of 'the right to remain silent'...;)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Hmong people, an ethnic group in China and Southeast Asia...
In other words they use chopstick to eat with...

It's a lot more than that.

According to some friends I have who live/have relatives in MN, WI, and environs, Hmong is a race of Asian people who are quite densely populated in this region. I will paraphrase the comments of my friends thusly: They are generally not employed, not wanted, and involved in all the usual flavors of thuggery. If you as a reader don't like this description, don't blame me, blame the people who live there and made the statements then go research it yourself. I don't care.

To the article itself, I find it appalling that children would be treated differently than their peers based solely on race/language. Where's The Reverend AhJessssssseeeee AhJackkkkkkksahhhhhnnnnnn when we need him?

Oh, yeah. It only goes one direction. Silly me. Disregard. Carry on.

Gato_Solo

To the article itself, I find it appalling that children would be treated differently than their peers based solely on race/language. Where's The Reverend AhJessssssseeeee AhJackkkkkkksahhhhhnnnnnn when we need him?

Hmong students learning English

At least they're trying...:shrug:

SnP said:
Oh, yeah. It only goes one direction. Silly me. Disregard. Carry on.

So you'd rather have a bunch of non-English speaking immigrants with no desire to assimilate hanging about? :eek3:

highwayman

Personaly I would not be upset if the general attitude would be either learn English or go hungry..But with the PC crowd operating the spin that won't happen...

unclehobart

Inclusion by exclusion? C'mon... thats the old 'fighting for peace' mantra.

Inkara1

It's a lot more than that.

According to some friends I have who live/have relatives in MN, WI, and environs, Hmong is a race of Asian people who are quite densely populated in this region. I will paraphrase the comments of my friends thusly: They are generally not employed, not wanted, and involved in all the usual flavors of thuggery. If you as a reader don't like this description, don't blame me, blame the people who live there and made the statements then go research it yourself. I don't care.

In Fresno, they're no more unemployed or involved in thuggery than any other race. There are a hell of a lot of Hmong people in Fresno, which is why I mentioned it. The ones there do usually tend to gravitate toward low-paying jobs and farming, though, and tend to not be particularly highly-educated.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

Her twin girls, 10, and her son, 8, were kicked off their regular school bus. They were told by the bus driver the route is for non-English speaking students only.

The district decided to enforce the separate routes beginning Monday, but it did not tell the Armstrong family.

:shrug:

spike

Well, how long do you expect us to go without getting offended about the damn foreigners? ;)