• Electric

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Pushy thing

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm gonna hafta bite the bullet and go buy one. In your opinion, what's the better investment?

Gas? (gotta walk to the gas station in that case)

Electric? (my ADD will surely cause me to run over the cord multiple times)

Pushy walker-like thingie? They seem to do a shit job but look great to use. Are they doing a shit job because the owners aren't sharpening them? Or because they do a shit job generally?

I've pretty much ruled out scissors, letting the guinea out to have the run of the yard and getting a goat.

I had gas, and went to electric. I had a reel type (that's they pushy one) but I loaned it to Bish and haven't seen it since.

Why electric? Lots of reasons. I've a fairly small yard, and I can repair electrical motors easier than I can 2-stroke gas. I originally went gas because I've got a bit to do on the outside of the fence, but I picked up a gas trimmer, and that covers it. Not like I give a shit how that part looks.

If you're gonna go electric, invest in a good extension cord. Yes, the yellow one says it's good for mowers, and it's lots lighter than the orange one. It's also thinner wire, which means that your mower is gonna be suffering from a voltage drop, and it's gonna clog up more.

Never cared for electric m'self.

For that small a yard, go with the manual, motorless rotary push mower. Keep the blades sharp, walk at a steady pace, and your yard will look fine. Hard to justify the upkeep on a gas mower for that small a yard.

Leslie said:
Pushy walker-like thingie? They seem to do a shit job but look great to use. Are they doing a shit job because the owners aren't sharpening them? Or because they do a shit job generally?
Actually, if you keep the blades sharp, these do a better job than anything else. Electric would be my second choice in your situation. Surely someone makes a rechargeable, cordless electric lawnmower by now. That would eliminate the cord problem.
Some info.

That doesn't cover when you chip an edge on a stone, or the curb. Neither does it cover regular sharpenings. Or strained muscles if you let the grass get too tall.

I have a gas powered one. Although remembering to go fill the tank is a pain at times, I love it. I have enough lawn to use a gas mower though. I'd be tripping all over the cord if I had an electric.

I had a gas mower and switched to electric a while back. The smell of gas fumes and exhaust was ruining the whole experience for me. The push mower...although ecologically sound and all that, was a pain in the buttocks.

Lent me, Prof? I was sure you'd given it to me...something about getting more exercise, although that was a while back. I think that its at my folx's place.

Professur said:
That doesn't cover when you chip an edge on a stone, or the curb. Neither does it cover regular sharpenings. Or strained muscles if you let the grass get too tall.
And that is the most important consideration of owning a manual mower. If you let it get to tall it's a lot of work to cut.

Bah. Cut down into the soil about 10 inches and remove the grass entirely. Lay down a cement pad, and cover with a good astro-turf on top of a good pad. Voila...your grass always looks perfect, and none of that pesky pollen driving you bonkers during allergy season...;)

I'll go broke in Band-Aids for knees if I do that. What I'd really like to do is rip it all up and just have clover. But I dunno if the neighbours'd be happy.

So, it looks like because I can't possibly handle a cord, it's a toss-up between cordless and pushything.

I'd get buffer with the pushy thing.

That's your call. I know that the new ones are much lighter than my old one. How tall are you again? If you're too short, you won't be able to use it effectively in slick grass

Professur said:
That's your call. I know that the new ones are much lighter than my old one. How tall are you again? If you're too short, you won't be able to use it effectively in slick grass
I'm a stubby person myself but mine was hieght adjustable.

So was mine. Two places. You could shorten the handle, or incline it more. It was inclining it more than caused it to slip/

Back