longest shift you have put in at work

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Probly 16-17 hours at home, programming the system i did for my professional service.

chcr

Too cute for words
17.5 hours at federal/allied.

:eek13:

16 is the most I've ever worked at a stretch. Once when I was young I worked 12, was off four then worked sixteen more. Greenfreak can probably beat us, she used to be an EMT.

Mirlyn

18.....6 to midnight

I did a 14 hour shift (5-7) at doing retail. That was nice. The day after thanksgiving.

Dave

chcr said:
Greenfreak can probably beat us, she used to be an EMT.

so was I way back when.
we rotated, 3 on, 3 off.
worked a 10 hour day, followed by a 24 hour shift then a 14 hour night.
many a 24 i left the garage and didn't see it much till the next morning.

now i wont work more than 12 hours if i can help it.

Raven

Annoying SOB
14 in customer services at my present job a couple of months ago. It was performance day but there was free beer and Pizza

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
When I was managing a restaurant, I worked one weekend from 6 Friday Morning and left at 6 Sunday evening. I did have a few naps that I took in the office, but only a couple hours at a stretch. I remember it feeling really strange when I walked out to my car Sunday night.

Aunty Em

14 as a nurse.... split shift that wasn't because there was no-one to take over for the afternoon until I came back on duty.... doesn't include meal breaks. 10 hour nightshifts were normal.

chcr

Too cute for words
14 as a nurse.... split shift that wasn't because there was no-one to take over for the afternoon until I came back on duty.... doesn't include meal breaks. 10 hour nightshifts were normal.
My lovely wife (she's a nurse) regularly works 12 hour shifts. It's the norm in this part of the country. In Arizona she worked 8s.

Aunty Em

We used to do 8 hr shifts on days normally. It was 5 days or 4 night per 7 day period, but to get a long weekend off (sat - tues) you could work up to 14 days straight depending on the shifts.

greenfreak

Between my paid ambulance job and my volunteer corps, I once worked from Friday at 7am straight through to Monday 7am. It was the blizzard of '96, it was just safer for us to be there and not leave. And there was plenty to keep us busy. Heart attacks from shoveling snow, car accidents everywhere, children with croup... I wouldn' t normally have done that many shifts but I was an officer, Paramedic and crew chief so I filled in for all those jobs in those days.

I routinely would ride the ambulance the entire weekend starting on Friday 11pm to Sunday 7pm. I didn't really consider it work though, I enjoyed it that much and was addicted to the adrenaline rush back then. We were a tight knit group and all of my friends were members. The action during the summer was on Friday and Saturday nights, that's when all the traumas would come in. We were all trauma junkies.

If I got paid for all that time I put in, I'd be able to retire by now. :)

MrBishop

The longest was a 3 shift stretch...back in my hotel-days. That's 24hrs folx...

I was a "Rooms div. manager" and had to cover for my shift...my evening auditor (11pm-7am) *cause he quit when he came in and the morning shift because we had 100 check-outs and it was insane.

All standing up...no real breaks...and the middle shift was all accounting!

Grrr..

The longest runs were...a while back (Prof could probably fill you in on the details)...something happened to one of the auditors...so I covered... I did 30 days, one day off, 30 days, one day off, 30 days.

Talk about an experieince

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
36 hours straight. It was during a mobility exercise, and my relief worker got attritted. :retard3:

Aunty Em

Actually if you're talking about "exercises".... 48hr worst case scenario weekend exercise in the observer corp command bunker in colchester. It's quite scarey being locked in behind an airlock pretending the world has ended outside and plotting nuclear ground and air strikes over, military installations and major centres of population,etc. plus radiation levels, windspeed, wind direction, radioactive fallout, issuing fallout warnings, etc. - you have to learn to plot the map co-ordinates backwards on the perspex screens and man the radios on 2hr rotational shifts calling each outpost in your sector every 15 minutes and gathering info. No-one got much sleep... I did try a couple of hours but I was too wired.

Had it been a real case we would have been in there for a minimum of 2 weeks and if we hadn't turned up when ordered we would have be shot for desertion if we had survived the strike. We had 3 teams but they only expected 1 1/2 teams to turn up in the event of a real nuclear war.

Most people in the UK have got no idea just how many underground bunkers there are which they aren't included in should the worst ever happen!