Louisiana justice who refused interracial marriage resigns

spike

The couple filed a federal discrimination lawsuit against Bardwell and his wife, Beth Bardwell, on October 20, claiming the two violated the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment.

Bardwell, speaking to CNN affiliate WBRZ, said he was advised "that I needed to step down because they was going to take me to court, and I was going to lose."

"I would probably do the same thing again," he said. "I found out I can't be a justice of the peace and have a conscience."

Sen. Mary L. Landrieu, D-Louisiana, who had called for Bardwell's dismissal, said Tuesday night that "Bardwell has finally consented to the will of the vast majority of Louisiana citizens and nearly every governmental official in Louisiana. Bardwell's refusal to issue marriage licenses to interracial couples was out of step with our Louisiana values and reflected terribly on our state. We are better off without him in public service."

http://us.cnn.com/2009/US/11/03/louisiana.interracial.marriage/index.html

The justice....*takes off sunglasses*....was served.

Advised to resign = Either you quit on your own, or we fire you. THe former looks better.

you said (basically) that he was served, like getting a 'pink slip' or some such.
Do you care to clarify?

Yeah...same thing happened to me recently. I was 'downsized', or 'laid off'. Once you get down to brass tacks... he fucked up, they got rid of him.

no he didn't. He just didn't fulfil that particular job description.
'they', who is they, besides the over ruling judge?
'rid'? he ain't dead yet.

They would be "the will of the vast majority of Louisiana citizens and nearly every governmental official in Louisiana"

Never said they killed him, Cato... just pushed him off of that particular soapbox.

I like the CSI reference
csi-miami.jpg

they was going to take me to court, and I was going to lose."

nice to know your fate before the hearings even begin. even murderers get a better shake

"I would probably do the same thing again," he said. "I found out I can't be a justice of the peace and have a conscience."

now how that equals...

he fucked up, they got rid of him.

escapes me entirely

i think the ol boy just wanted more time to go fishing

and for the record, he never denied these people the right to get married. he declined to perform the ceremony. get the thread titles factual please

nice to know your fate before the hearings even begin. even murderers get a better shake

A murderer can often tell when they're going to lose a trial too.

now how that equals...

escapes me entirely

Yep, he fucked up and had to resign. He would probably fuck up again.

he never denied these people the right to get married. he declined to perform the ceremony. get the thread titles factual please

Thread title says "refused interracial marriage" which is what he did.

Thread title says "refused interracial marriage" which is what he did.

show me where he made it impossible for these two people to be married

meanwhile i will reassert. he declined to personally participate in the service. he in no way denied them anything. get your entitlements in order and come back when you can show me where he denied them anything

Back