Luis G's English to Spanish

tonksy

Terrific! Mar is totally ready for school! She did great on her test. I asked the teacher that did it after the fact if there was anything that we needed to work on over the summer and she said that listening skills were always something that was needed in pre-school age children so we need to start giving her longer instructions for her to work out. For example:
Go to the kitchen and put this in the trash then get an apple and a napkin and bring it to me.
Things like that that require her to multitask.
The only thing she missed on her little test (which I was not in the room for) was the ending sound differential between B and P. Like in cab and cap. Fair enough. That can be hard for adults sometimes. We need to play work end sound games.

simplyred

Well, we can definately accomplish that this summer! We'll get Nan Nan the school teacher to help create some cool games for that!

Slim Pickens

simplyred said:
Well, we can definately accomplish that this summer! We'll get Nan Nan the school teacher to help create some cool games for that!

Between Nan Nan, Aunt Suzi, and Aunt Carol Sue, we should have all kinds of support

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
so...they don't let the slow kids in or what?

what's with this testing kids to get into school? :eek6:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Leslie said:
so...they don't let the slow kids in or what?

what's with this testing kids to get into school? :eek6:

I'm always thoroughly confused about which one is older but I'm assuming maybe it's a pre-k type placement where they wanna place any kids who need extra help together so they can all be ready for kindergarten together?

Slim Pickens

Marlowe is older...she is starting kindergarten in August...I believe this was placement testing as far as her curriculum (sp?)...I am under the impression that she will be in advanced classes

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Slim Pickens said:
Marlowe is older...she is starting kindergarten in August...I believe this was placement testing as far as her curriculum (sp?)...I am under the impression that she will be in advanced classes

Ah, so it's kind of a "Find out who needs help now so by the time grade 1 rolls around hopefully some of them will be caught up with the pack" type deal. Even though she's going to be in the advanced class I think the testing is still beneficial to her because now hopefully she won't have to sit aslong waiting for the teacher to help other kids who aren't at her level yet. Some people are all "All the kids should be together" as one of the kids who often got it on the first or second explanation when others sometimes needed 4 or 5...I can tell you all levels of ability should NOT be mixed...it's very irritating and feels like a waste of time to have to constantly hear things over and over after you already understand. I like the idea of grouping by ability.

Slim Pickens

Me too...I got horrible grades in conduct in the third grade, whereupon my fourth grade teacher explained to my mother that I would be fine in her class...she didn't despise intelligent little boys like my third grade teacher did...my parents were offered the opportunity for me to skip the fifth grade, but my stepfather didn't like the idea of me going from fourth grade to jr. high

tonksy

I don't know that Marlowe will be in the advanced class or not. The reasoning for the testing is to get a baseline on what they know and to know in which class they place them. At her school there is going to be about 8 Kindergarten classes. They want to make sure that they break them down into groups of children with similar needs as far as education is concerned.
Pre-K is NOT mandatory here although it is free (state funded) and a lot of fuckwit parents don't bother to give their kids the early advantage so they want to find out which kids need the extra help. I am not dissing the home schooled Pre-K kids, this test will identify those kids too and place them appropriately.

tonksy

Luis, What gives with Granfather?
Abuela is Grandmother but Abuelito is grandfather? I thought the -ito meant little or young like in gatito....

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
-ito and -ita are diminutive suffixes. But most mexicans use diminutives as a sign of affection as well. So instead of saying abuelo we say abuelito, and it doesn't necessarily means that the grandpa is small :D

tonksy

Do you say Abuelita sometimes? I've always heard Abuela (note that my Abuela experience is from Dora the Explorer and my Abuelito experience is from Handy Manny).

tonksy

So...Dora doesn't like her Granny enough to call her Abuelita? Or is it just that Abuela is a tad more formal like the difference between Grannie or Gran and Grandma?

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Dunno, it might be script related (you know to make them sound like mexicans). But the guy who wrote it has no clue.

Abuela sometimes sounds harsh when spoken by kids. A grown up person would use either.

tonksy

That's it! I bought some while back and ate it as a snack when I wanted something crunchy...not as good as with the chili lime dressing, though. Next time I'll have to make some of that.

nalani

it was pretty good. it was served on the side of a portobello mushroom burger. yummy!

umm... trace? You've had jicama at my house LOL ... I cut some up like french fries - some I had in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and the rest I had raw. It's starchy but a great pick-my-ass-off-the-floor snack LOL