major power outage

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Geez, i've never seen a whole city without electricity (let alone several cities), that's gotta be something freaky.

Do they know what happened?

Rose

"not clear whether the failures are linked" ...

I know they have to say that if they doh't have proof. But several major cities going down simultaneously? This is going to be an interesting story to watch develop.

Rose

*hehe* I saw that after I posted, too. D'oh. Still looks weird, though. CNN is saying no cause yet, MSNBC is saying it's related to a fire at a NY power plant.

Funny, CNN reported mention of the fire (as quoted on msnbc's site), but didn't say that was a possible cause.

HeXp£Øi±

That's something else. On the subject only not the same level...

about once a month a bald eagle runs into the power lines and knocks out the power to the entire island. Damn things are like vultures here.

Aunty Em

... that'll teach you to have air conditioning when I don't... stop turning it up! And turn off some of them TVs and other gadgets too... :p

alex

:eek13: And most of you guys up there don't have A/C.

The whole north end of Madison County had a power failure Tuesday afternoon. It went out just as I shut the door when I got home from work. I thought I had done something when I shut the door. My UPS was beeping and after a few minutes I heard a pop, like an electrical pop. I crawled under my desk and I coud smell that burning wire smell. Seemed to be from the UPS, but my computer was still on. I shut down the computer and unplugged the UPS. I'm afraid to plug it back in. The outage lasted about an hour.

Aunty Em

HeXp£Øi± said:
That's something else. On the subject only not the same level...

about once a month a bald eagle runs into the power lines and knocks out the power to the entire island. Damn things are like vultures here.

Hmmm... I always wondered why they were bald... :D

Stop Laughing

My brother said there was a power flicker here, whether or not it's related to this I certainly don't know, but it seems to be the most likely reason since our weather is great right now, and it's not hot enough to blow transformers here. It seems to me that the NYC power plant fire (or whatever it was) caused the overload. you should see NYC, the streets are flooded with people.

CydCharisse

That's pretty bad. They were showing it on TV and people are walking on the Interstate. It's crazy. It seems like everybody is staying calm, which is a very good thing. If the whole U.S's power went out, there would probably be major panic attacks and riots. Let's just hope that doesn't happen.

Rose

CydCharisse said:
That's pretty bad. They were showing it on TV and people are walking on the Interstate. It's crazy. It seems like everybody is staying calm, which is a very good thing. If the whole U.S's power went out, there would probably be major panic attacks and riots. Let's just hope that doesn't happen.

Let's see what happens when darkness falls....

HeXp£Øi±

CydCharisse said:
One of the primary reasons i wouldn't want to live in an urban area. I just don't like the idea of being dependant upon the system/infrastructure of others. As it is where i live i could survive and support my family indefinetely without any outside support whatsoever.

Stop Laughing

0_21_081403_blackout_ny.jpg

chcr

Too cute for words
I remember the one in 1968, I was a kid and we didn't live in the city. We didn't really get any news till it was over.

Edit: 1965!!!!! When you get older, they all start running together in your mind. Mostly I remember my grandfather thinking it was a communist attack.

kuulani

HeXp£Øi± said:
One of the primary reasons i wouldn't want to live in an urban area. I just don't like the idea of being dependant upon the system/infrastructure of others. As it is where i live i could survive and support my family indefinetely without any outside support whatsoever.

me too. we know where we can get freshwater. my husband can fish, nalani's son can hunt. we know how to cook with fire. we grow some veggies. we even know how to pound cloth out of bark if we have to :D