Mankind's most defining moments

Professur

Mankind's more defining moment (if a bit of a long moment) had to be WWII. You had it all. Everything that makes humans people. Hate, love, courage, cowardice, genius, idiocy, evil, good, art, poetry, cruelty, malice ...

Everything that defines humanity.

rrfield

The Beatles on Ed Sullivan

The Hindenburg

Fall of the Berlin Wall

Hank Aaron's 715th HR

the 2000 presidential election

rrfield

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Professur said:
Mankind's more defining moment (if a bit of a long moment) had to be WWII. You had it all. Everything that makes humans people. Hate, love, courage, cowardice, genius, idiocy, evil, good, art, poetry, cruelty, malice ...

Everything that defines humanity.

Thats more of an 'exposing' moment to me. It showed the wide spectrum of our charactor....The moments I'm looking for are the ones that opened doors through which there was no turning back...Wars and catastrophies fade to simple history in a few short decades...

Thulsa Doom

no no no. its that point in time when the black slab comes down and the monkies touch it and start hitting each other.

Professur

Squiggy said:
Thats more of an 'exposing' moment to me. It showed the wide spectrum of our charactor....The moments I'm looking for are the ones that opened doors through which there was no turning back...Wars and catastrophies fade to simple history in a few short decades...

Hiroshima? Pearl? Dunkirk? No, wait, that was WWI. No turning back from any of those.

BeardofPants

Thulsa Doom said:
no no no. its that point in time when the black slab comes down and the monkies touch it and start hitting each other.

You forgot this bit:

*cue: Sprach Zarathustra...* :lol2:

Dave

the evolution from hunter/gatherer to agrarian society.
art, particularly painting. the begining of assigning a symbol to an object.
have to go with the printing press too.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't see the lunar landing as something that caused a permenant significant change in the world...yeah, it is really cool that we can go into space but how did Neil Armstrong walking on the moon change our world? Our society? Our everyday lives? It really hasn't...maybe some day something will be discovered in outer space that WILL have these effects but as of yet it has just opened the door for a lot of research, nothing world changing yet though.

Stuff that has changed our world? Influenced our everyday lives?

The idea of tunnelling (damn report stuck in my head), the discovery of the concept of gravity...without it we wouldn't have a lot of the things we have today...the wheel obviously, all forms of commmunications technology...and manymany medical advancements

MrBishop

The discovery of Pi and it's uses. (Pulley/motors/architecture*arches etc*) **I still believe that these are not events per se, but discoveries that changed our world. I know that a lot of inventions such as the wheel, harnessing fire, electricity, the internet etc...have had a huge impact on mankind, but they're not 'moments'. For moments, I'd have to pick...

Negative: The election of Adolf Hitler to head of Germany.
Neutral: The detonation of Atomic Bombs over Hiroshima and Nagasaki
Positive: Martin Luthor King's "I have a dream" speach.

MrBishop

Nixy said:
A moment??

The moment Columbus discovered the Americas

Feh...the guy was the 4th one here. He's more like the person who invaded, or rather began the succesful invasion of, the americas.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nixy said:
I don't see the lunar landing as something that caused a permenant significant change in the world...

the thread is titled "Mankind's most defining moments". That forever defined us as beyond boundries. The first step onto an alien world is the definition of defining moment.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Yes but ti doesn't fit the description of forever changing how we live

BeardofPants

Nixy said:

But it does - there are many inventions and vaccines that have come about as a direct resultant of our interaction with space. (and no, I'm not talking about the space pen!:p)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Nixy said:

Here is a partial list of medical benefits

Body Images: Present imaging techniques that allow doctors to see into the human body were developed from technology used by NASA to enhance pictures of the moon.

Chromosome Analysis: Another type of high-end photography enhancement that helped probe photos of the moon can now find chromosome defects in less than 10 minutes — a test that once took several hours.

Baby on Board: The health of fetuses in the womb can now be monitored with tiny transmitters first created for measuring astronaut's blood pressure and temperature.

Brittle Bones: Hospitals now use instruments to measure bone strength in patients with osteoporosis and other bone diseases that were developed for measuring bone loss on space flights.

Cool Suit: A "cool suit" made by NASA for the Apollo missions is now helping multiple sclerosis patients manage their disease.

Here is a partial list of commercial applications

Communications
- telecoms
- telephones and fax
- broadcasting
- video conferencing
- general navigation
- global positioning
- internet

Earth Observation
- weather forecasting
- agricultural development and monitoring
- precision farming
- oceanography
- geology and mineral prospecting
- environment monitoring and pollution control
- ozone layer monitoring

Science Satellites
- deep space astronomy
- solar observation
- planetary exploration
- educational satellites
- earth sciences
- interpanetary vehicles
- planetary science
- solar science
- interstellar science
- manned spaceflight
- space stations
- interplanetary travel
- manufacturing - metallurgy
- medical

I was looking for a all in one list (I've seen a few) but couldn't come up with the right wording for my search...let's just say, without space exploration, life would be a whole lot less advanced