Meaning of Life

:mope: I must have brought a bad life to the table.....And I had 2 or 3 good ones just sitting in the closet. Wish I'd known...

PuterTutor said:
but if you really think about it, what else could we possibly be but selfish?
You can't. This is why it surprises me that people are frequently surprised by selfishness in others. It's why we're so impressed by truly selfless acts.

Mirlyn said:
chcr said:
It's why we're so impressed by truly selfless acts.

Are there any? Think about it...;)

EXACTLY!!!! There isn't. A selfless act is merely an act that makes people think better of you, therefore it's still being selfish.

On a purely scientific level life means nothing. We are no more important than the dirt we tread upon.
Life means nothing, death means nothing, joy means nothing and suffering means nothing. There is no purpose or importance to anything. The procreation & survival of animal and plant species are no more significant than rocks drifting in space.
We simply are.

PuterTutor said:
Mirlyn said:
chcr said:
It's why we're so impressed by truly selfless acts.

Are there any? Think about it...;)

EXACTLY!!!! There isn't. A selfless act is merely an act that makes people think better of you, therefore it's still being selfish.

Or that it makes you feel better about yourself. Which does the same thing. Makes you feel real good about volunteering now, doesn't it? ;)

"Life" has no meaning. "Life" is an evolutionary adaptation that allows certain molecules to replicate more efficiently. We do not reproduce, our genes reproduce. We are but their vessels... their servants.

If you can make some meaning out of that, more power to you. Since our intelligence is a fortutious adaptation, I would venture to say that, if anything, the meaning of life is what it means to you. No one else can define that for you.

chcr said:
MrBishop said:
The Meaning of Life = 42
Not actually the meaning of life, just the answer to the most important question about life, the universe and everything (a subtle distinction, I'll grant you).

But the question is :

What do you get when you multiply 9 by 6? :shrug:

Well now, when I multiply 9 by 6, I get 54, but in other parts of the galaxy that might be different. :D

And the earth was destroyed by the Vogons just before arriving at the question, innit?????

PuterTutor said:
fury said:
I believe we are put on this earth for the sadistic entertainment of God at our miserable lives.

I kind of made my wife mad last night, I told her basically that, that if there is a god, he must be one cruel sadistic mother-fucker. She's Catholic. :shrug:

So she hates when you tell her something she already knows, eh?

The meaning of life is very simple. So simple in fact, that most people miss it completely.

See.

unclehobart said:
On a strict biological level. Life is about procreating more life. Continuation of the species. Thats it. All of the high brain excuses are immaterial.

Mirlyn said:
Makes you feel real good about volunteering now, doesn't it?
Man, I thought I was cynical. I don't volunteer (although my lovely wife occasionally volunteers me for something). I don't say tha selfless acts are not the rarest occurence on the planet, but I think they do occur.

unclehobart said:
Human high brain function is just powerful enough to be able to really screw with a good many of the biological imperatives that our bodies try to impose upon us.

How much beer, drugs, etc. does it take to screw up the system and get humans acting on their baser instincts? That "higher brain function" seems to sit on a knife edge for many humans... :disgust:

I go with the procreation of your own genetic sequence which in turn leads to continuation of the species.

Aunty Em said:
How much beer, drugs, etc. does it take to screw up the system and get humans acting on their baser instincts? That "higher brain function" seems to sit on a knife edge for many humans... :disgust:

tell me about, i've seen some of the people in norfolk.

Back