Meaning of Life

My original post was : The Meaning of Life = 42
The real Meaning of life - Learn as much as you can, teach what you know to as many as you can, bring others joy and peace, bring yourself joy and peace, replace yourself (biologically) if you can, and Die...leaving the earth a better place than when you got it.

I've replaced myself biologically since then...but then again, I'm not seeing the necesity of it anymore. There are enough people out there that the earth won't collapse if a few people don't reproduce before they die. Giving a little bit of your effort for non-selfish goals should be added here somewhere. Volunteer work, even if it's for just the sake of one person (neighbour,family, freind) helps make your life worth something.

If all that you do is for yourself...then you can be removed without having changed anything. Worth is based on the opinions of others (try selling a facial tissue for $5 and see that it isn't true)... if you didn't put anything into the social bank, but only took out...for the rest of us, you're worthless. :shrug:

Professur said:
revisited. Anyone have anything new to add?

Yes.

as for PT...what you mentioned can not be disproven because it is true. The need to survive invades our every sense, every thought, every action: from outright acts of self-defense to subtle acts to retain our concious balance...it is all for us.

Even when we do something that makes us miserable it is still for us because deep down we really know that in the coming days we will feel better about sacrificing because "we did the right thing".......there is no right and wrong really, the definition of it is subjective, it changes from person to person, society to society ergo in the end: right or wrong is the decison which keeps your sanity at the end of the day.

The meaning of life is to end.....other than that life serves no purpose in the grand scheme of things. We give ourselves importance and we take it away.

It is isn't so bleak though. Happiness can be achieved by giving it to others and that in it self is the most charitable and self-less act you can do.

Rereading this reminds me of a question I asked someone a long time ago and have not yet received a satisfactory answer for: Does it have to have meaning?

chcr said:
Rereading this reminds me of a question I asked someone a long time ago and have not yet received a satisfactory answer for: Does it have to have meaning?

Good point. Damn good point. But, I return it to you. If it doesn't have a meaning, then what's the use? Live, fuck, die, and get eaten by worms? Why bother even getting up every morning?

chcr said:

So far...no. It seems so far that life is nothing but another satistic in the Universe, a by product that only cares for and about itself.

But then again we are the only life we know of in the Universe.....but of the life we do know about doesn't seem to matter a damn in the Universe.

Professur said:
Live, fuck, die, and get eaten by worms? Why bother even getting up every morning?
If you don't get out of bed, you don't meet girls... meaning you could strike "fuck" from the list.

Professur said:
Good point. Damn good point. But, I return it to you. If it doesn't have a meaning, then what's the use? Live, fuck, die, and get eaten by worms? Why bother even getting up every morning?

Because lying in bed is fucking boring. Oh, and it's hard to get laid on a regular basis if you don't bathe semi-regularly. :D I stopped believing in a "higher purpose" when I was twelve or thirteen. I have fun. :D

chcr said:
Because lying in bed is fucking boring. Oh, and it's hard to get laid on a regular basis if you don't bathe semi-regularly. :D I stopped believing in a "higher purpose" when I was twelve or thirteen. I have fun. :D
So we agree in a roundabout way: if you don't get out of bed, no booty for you.

Living each day to YOUR known fullest, no matter what it is you like and enjoy to do and are capable of doing, no matter what anyone thinks or says about you, as long as it makes you happy and doesn't harm other people. That's just my opinion about the meaning of life. :D

What about sadists? I guess they aren't allowed to live life to the fullest and do what makes them happy, then.

Inkara1 said:
What about sadists? I guess they aren't allowed to live life to the fullest and do what makes them happy, then.

as long as it makes you happy and doesn't harm other people.

That's what I posted in my thread......

Inkara1 said:
Just have to find a masochist, baby. :D

i think the meaning of life is different for everybody. we all impact the world on a different level. why shouldn't the meanings of our lives be different? i think that the human race would be better suited to cease contemplating the meaning of all life and think about what their lives meaning is.

also...i think that selfless acts can be done, if they are genuine. if someone is aware of your act and lauds you for it then that is just sorta a reward....but really...who gives a shit why someone does something decent? it was still done.

If my "life" has some predetermined "map" that I'll follow......then I strongly suspect that the celestial cartographer was nissed as a pewt when he drew mine up :D

I don't know about life having to have a meaning I certainly hope not....it would pretty much defeat the purpose of being a free-thinking being (or a being capable of free-thinkin', if ya prefer). If I'm forced to name a meaning.....then it's that life strives to protect life, show anyone a pic of a new born baby and if they ain't got their head stuck up their arse yer'll see all those "Aww" and pride emotions come to the front.....we are made to protect the weak.

As for a selfless act......I dunno.....a coupla weeks ago I was asked to do some volunteer work helping alcholics (having quit meself and having a "personable" character I'm good material for the job apparently). After initially throwing away the idea, I've been thinkin' about it more and more.....mebbe I should do summit off the weight of me own experiences to help others (taking advice from Me!! Gods help them). I suppose that could count as a selfless act.....cos for the life of me I can't see how I'll be gettin' anything outa it.....I'll let yer know next thursday if I decide to do it.

Oz said:
As for a selfless act......I dunno.....a coupla weeks ago I was asked to do some volunteer work helping alcholics (having quit meself and having a "personable" character I'm good material for the job apparently). After initially throwing away the idea, I've been thinkin' about it more and more.....mebbe I should do summit off the weight of me own experiences to help others (taking advice from Me!! Gods help them). I suppose that could count as a selfless act.....cos for the life of me I can't see how I'll be gettin' anything outa it.....I'll let yer know next thursday if I decide to do it.

I'd go for it Oz... I think you're made for the job actually.

The first meaning of life is to live, and do no harm. The second is to forward all of your financial gains to me, care of OTC. :D

Gato_Solo said:
The first meaning of life is to live, and do no harm. The second is to forward all of your financial gains to me, care of OTC. :D

Financial gains?? ain't gone none of those..but yer welcome to me debt if ya want it :D

Oz said:
Financial gains?? ain't gone none of those..but yer welcome to me debt if ya want it :D

Ummm...that would be a loss. I'm only entitled to gains right now unless you fill out the proper forms... :grinyes:

outside looking in said:
"Life" has no meaning. "Life" is an evolutionary adaptation that allows certain molecules to replicate more efficiently. We do not reproduce, our genes reproduce. We are but their vessels... their servants.

If you can make some meaning out of that, more power to you. Since our intelligence is a fortutious adaptation, I would venture to say that, if anything, the meaning of life is what it means to you. No one else can define that for you.

brilliant!! glad to see some one else actually gets it here. if anything the meaning of life is to be a miniscule part of the Great Chemical Reaction that is the universe. If you call that meaning... Oh. and its a pretty good movie too.

Back