Must be nice to be stupid...

Inkara1 said:
I found the problem. It has nothing to do with the masking tape. It's because those are Western Digital Caviar hard drives.

Yep, not just because they are WD, but WD, and look to be in the 10-15gig range.
Very bad years for WD.
I think the new 8meg cache drives, with the fluid bearings are fine though.

Just a heads up. One of my customers had an entire shipment of new IBM machines come in, and every drive failed within the first week. I'm not sure of the model, but they're dying faster than the Bigfoots.

Professur said:
Just a heads up. One of my customers had an entire shipment of new IBM machines come in, and every drive failed within the first week. I'm not sure of the model, but they're dying faster than the Bigfoots.
I guess that's why they quit making their own HDs, didn't they?

Professur said:

Thus the reason, I believe, that IBM sold their IDE hard drive manufacturing facilities to Hitachi. IBM's "Deathstar" drives have always been crappy in my book. Hell, I had one drive that sepnt the majority of it's warranty period in shipment back and forth between me and IBM. The last time back I left it in box until I absolutely needed it. It finally died a couple months after finally opening it. But while I wasen't using it, it was working just fine.

Professur said:
i have a bigfoot 6GB that just won't die, so i keep using it in routers and the like, slower'n shit but it works.

my case is starting to feel like that picture, i picked up 2 seagate 120GB from best buy yesterday ($50ea. after MIR) to do some fakeraid, everything is kind of jury-rigged right now and these seagates get hotter than a pistol, thank god for 5yr warranties.

Inkara1 said:
Ever find out which brand the hard drives were?

probably hitachi...they took over the HD part of IBM. I've had five IBM Deskstar 30 GB's HD's....and I only bought one. the fifth one died as well, and I just bought a new WD... before the 30 GB-er, I had a 15 GB Deskstar...has been replaced twice. :blank:

i'll never buy an IBM again, that's for sure. the new WD works like a charm though. really depends on the model on whether or not they are crappy, i assume. at least they don't get as hot as the bloody IBM's and live longer than the average 3 months as with the deskstars

Back