my absence

tonksy

so my computer upgrade went pfft. my computer is down and might be so for awhile. try and miss me while i am gone and i'll be back as soon as things get fixed.

tonksy

Rose said:
*already misses Tonks* :( You've been scarce lately as is. :(
*sigh
i know. i've been working, working, working and getting stuff done around here. i picked up a second waitress gig to make extra money until after christmas and birthdays and until my ex gets his shit straight and can send me regular cheddar.

Inkara1

tonksy said:
until my ex gets his shit straight and can send me regular cheddar.

Why not go for the gouda?

So... what are the odds of him getting his shit together, and what are the odds of him sending the cashola over once he does?

Stop Laughing

My excuse is a tough cold and now a tough work week, we're receiving roughly 1600 cases in a span of 4 days starting with today's big Christmas bulk shipment. My resets are gonna have to wait even longer to get done, and they're already well overdue, plus I have to set a whole aisle in 2 days at a new store for my old boss next week. At least I got a week off in a month, woohoo!

tonksy

scott - i'll have to let rob explain but i was about to have a nice new (to me) computer but my sound card and windows 2000 had a fight and the sound card won...or something...anyway i get a win.exe error and windows won't start. all i can do is scratch my head and hope that rob can fix it soon. :shrug:

inky - stranger things have happened but i don't hold out much hope.

unclehobart

catocom said:
Upgrade? Do tell.
Whacha puttin in? :nerd:
She is getting my old trusty t-bird with the 1.33 chip that had been nothing but a barebones cruncher for the folding program. In it was going my old 32 meg Matrox vidcard, my soundblaster live card, and 256 in ram. HomeLAN also hooked her up with a beastly 21 inch monitor. Her dying keyboard and mouse were also being switched out with other parts of the fleet. The only thing to come over intact was her hard drive. 80% of it was saved across the network into my machine. Everything was going dandy until the very last driver install... the soundcard. That sucker instantly created a fatal winlogon.exe death loop that I have been trying to unwind for a day. Booting from the disc: no good. Booting in safe mode: no good. Repair functions: no good. Fiddling with anything and everything in the BIOS: no good. All attempts to even get it to recognize an hastily made a: drive DOS boot: no good... which probably means that the floppy is fubar. At this point were looking at a total wipe and reinstall ...if the silly machine would just let me in for 5 seconds to get it started. All in all.. when completed... it should be 4 times the machine that she did have.

A.B.Normal

Soundblaster + VIA Chipset = trouble

Thats why I stayed with the onboard audio :swing:

Win98Se/Linux-Mandrake8.2/WinXP Pro
1.2ghz266DDR T-Bird @ 1.33ghz
VolcanoII /RadioShack Paste
IWILL KK266+
384 MB PC133
Matrox G450 32MB AGP
MAXTOR 30GB ATA66 7200RPM
Maxtor 60GB ATA100 7200RPM
16x DVD
Plextor 712A DVDR-W
Logitech Cordless Freedom Optical mouse/keyboard
Viewsonic G90f 19"
Altec Lansing ACS54 Speakers

Inkara1

My Creative Ensoniq card lived quite happily with the VIA chipset I had with my T-Bird 1.2 for three years. I don't see why the Ensoniq would be a whole lot different from a Sound Blaster, being from the same manufacturer.

HomeLAN

I'll be dropping by tonight. You may have to re-download and install a shitload of programs, but I'll get the bastard running. At least all your documents, songs, etc. were backed up.

tonksy

Oz said:
My first thoughts when I read this thread were "Oh shit, I hope she's saved her music!" :D
are you kidding? my music, poems, and pics were saved. in retrospect i wish i had asked rob to mail me some more of the pics we had taken of the girls and of canada. they're lost now.
also, now i will have a cd burner. :swing:
thanks, steve. :D

MrBishop

Good luck getting the machine back on it's 'feet'. Come back soon.

I'm so envious of your new toy. I'm still playing with a wounded t-bird 800mhz w/ 128mb PC100 ram and a 20gb HD. :( At least my vid card and sound card are fairly decent.

HomeLAN

Her old HD, T-bird 1333, 256 PC2100 RAM, 50X CD-ROM, fast plextor burner, should be a relatively nice boost. Just gotta get her through the transitional BS.