Navel Piercing

FluerVanderloo said:
They told me at the shop that the captive bead ring is actually worse for two reasons. The first is that turning the jewelry is not recommended at all for healing, and the second is that the ring will turn and bring bacteria into the wound as it does. I had a friend who got the ring placed as her initial jewelry, and hers got incredibly infected.

I called the shop and they said unless I notice anything weird, which I shouldn't, to just leave it alone and keep it dry. I'm off to the store to get some sea salt and distilled water for it. Apparently I should do a 5-10 minute sea salt soak, then rinse with distilled water and then apply the dressing I bought last night.

Sea salt and distilled water is cleaning it :p

From my experience the sea salt vs soap debate is split 50-50 so it's a matter of preferance :)

Best of luck in your after care experience :)

Nixy said:
Sea salt and distilled water is cleaning it :p

From my experience the sea salt vs soap debate is split 50-50 so it's a matter of preferance :)

Best of luck in your after care experience :)

Gotcha! I just assumed soap=cleaning and sea salt=maintenance. Well, no soap for me, I know that. I tried to move the barbell up and down a little today, and OUCH!

I was told to soap mine up but I never did because it hurt too much to touch. I used to just kinda pour cleaning solution or salt water (made with sea salt) over it and try to make as little mess as possible :D

You never ever turn a body peircing for the first 2 weeks, and soap kills the new cells, the sea salt promotes healing. When I got my nipple pierced it was a ring but the guy said 5 times DO NOT TURN IT, DO NOT PLAY WITH IT!!!

FluerVanderloo said:
They told me at the shop that the captive bead ring is actually worse for two reasons. The first is that turning the jewelry is not recommended at all for healing, and the second is that the ring will turn and bring bacteria into the wound as it does. I had a friend who got the ring placed as her initial jewelry, and hers got incredibly infected.

the curvature of cbr's is also bad for surface piercings, which a navel piercing is to some extent. it's much more likely to migrate out.

and besides that, if you must rotate jewelry... i've also heard it's ok to while cleaning, i do sometimes when cleaning my industrial while it's all wet and slippy and no crust is in there... you can always just spin the barbell. sparingly!!!

as another note, there doesnt seem to be a hard and fast with many types of body modification care. as you go to different shops, you learn different things. the place i got my nose pierced reccomended bactine, other places ive been to have warned to avoid bactine like the plague and only use a salt soak for the entire duration of the healing. same with tattoos... some say wash, some say dont wash, some say ointment (that's usually a bad bad idea past very initially, though), etc.

here's a very useful site. http://www.bmezine.com/ . the first page sometimes has nudity, so be advised :) the encyclopedia http://wiki.bmezine.com/index.php/Main_Page and the question and answer thing http://iam.bmezine.com/qod4.exe? are very good resources.

Back