New Car

Inkara1 said:
Auto headlights stay on for a minute or so after you get out of the car. Prepare to hear a lot of "you left your lights on."

Nope. That's fords. GM's (at least mine) turn off with the ignition.

Thats not a function of Auto headlights.
In the Dodge ,if you turn the key off first then the lights they stay on for a bit,if you turn the lights off first ,then the key they go out immediately and the Dodge doesn't have auto headlights.

Nixy said:
Toyotas don't have enough leg room
Mazda 3 is expensive and the sales guy was kinda a jerk
Ford Focus has received bad reviews from a family friend who works at Ford and used to own one
Pontiac Pursuit = LOVE
Saturn Ion = OK but obviously not as good a car as Pursuit

aaand DISCUSS

I'm going Monday to buy a car so I need to make my final decision by then.
A blue one. :lloyd:

yeah Nixy the guy i know is a facilities engineer at brampton... he used to work with my girlfriend at the etobicoke plant, which i'm told is a shithole.

Nixy said:
It's a rate set out by the Canadian Revenue Agency but I can't find said rate anywhere.

Will it affect your insurance....because you're using the vehicle for business purposes? Especially on construction sites?

Nixy said:
I'd rather spend the time backing in while parking and then have an easier time getting out.

So you're a backer inner huh? :nono:

One of my worst pet peeves.

Inkara1 said:
My co-worker's Chevy Malibu's lights stay on for a bit.

There's not even a headlight switch on my Chevy Blazer. They come on with the ignition and go off with the ignition.

Alex: I don't think so, the only question asked is how much it's driven for work each year...refering to salesmen and people who do deliveries and such...I assume that my driving to a site is just the same as "driving to work" a lot of what I'll be doing is investigations and modifications to existing structures, I won't be beating around big ol' empty lots and such.

Also, why do you hate "backer inners"? I hate people who drive in head on and then try to back out, it's hard to see if anything's coming and is just BEGGING for an accident. When backing IN however visibility is much better. My prefered parking method is the drive thru though...pull in head on AND pull out head on. Usually that involves parking further from the doors to find two adjacent spots empty but if it's not too hot outside I don't mind.

Just ran the online insurance estimator with and without business kilometers (I chose the highest bracket for the quote with) and they came out exactly the same.

What's everyone's theory about how much one should pay relative to MSRP? My uncle's theory is one should haggle until they can drive off the lot for a total including taxes and everything not more than MSRP or one should say "Screw you" and go to another dealer. What are the thoughts of the peanut gallery here?

It depends on the vehicle and demand for said vehicle.A dealer may not need to haggle if he knows the next person on the lot will pay sticker price ,but if the vehicle is last years model then they're willing to give it away just so they don't have to carry the vehicle any longer.Vehicles with a high demand may even have an added cost because they are popular,so your bargaining position is limited there.It also depends on the salesman ,i.e. if they've sold any cars this month,being the end of the mnth ,you may find a salesman who needs to make a sale even if he doesn't make any/much $$$ for himself/herself.

A.B.Normal said:
It depends on the vehicle and demand for said vehicle.A dealer may not need to haggle if he knows the next person on the lot will pay sticker price ,but if the vehicle is last years model then they're willing to give it away just so they don't have to carry the vehicle any longer.Vehicles with a high demand may even have an added cost because they are popular,so your bargaining position is limited there.It also depends on the salesman ,i.e. if they've sold any cars this month,being the end of the mnth ,you may find a salesman who needs to make a sale even if he doesn't make any/much $$$ for himself/herself.

Well, if I go with the Pontiac I've already got a salesman cause there's on dealership in Brampton and I dealt with someone there already. Let's hope he needs to make a sale :D He works 6 days a week so I'm assuming he's not the type who meet his quota easily or he wouldn't work so many days :D

Nixy said:
Also, why do you hate "backer inners"? I hate people who drive in head on and then try to back out, it's hard to see if anything's coming and is just BEGGING for an accident. When backing IN however visibility is much better. My prefered parking method is the drive thru though...pull in head on AND pull out head on. Usually that involves parking further from the doors to find two adjacent spots empty but if it's not too hot outside I don't mind.

90% of people don't do it properly. They park crooked or off center and it causes a chain reaction of improperly parked cars down the parking lot. Not to mention the time I have to sit and wait while they maneuver themself into the spot if I'm behind them. Accident waiting to happen? I've seen more cars dinged up from people backing in than people who back out and don't look.

alex said:
90% of people don't do it properly. They park crooked or off center and it causes a chain reaction of improperly parked cars down the parking lot. Not to mention the time I have to sit and wait while they maneuver themself into the spot if I'm behind them. Accident waiting to happen? I've seen more cars dinged up from people backing in than people who back out and don't look.

I've never dinged anyone backing in. I took the time to learn to do it properly. If people can't drive they shouldn't modify how they drive to prevent accidents they should just not drive.

Aunty Em said:
Why do you need another car to jump start?

http://www.batterybrain.com/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E0YXV8/103-5295047-8547003?v=glance&n=15684181

Either works for me.... though I have a portable in my boot.

Em, I don't think you quite understand the nature of a Canadian winter. It's not if you need a boost. It's when. Batteries lose % of their capacity with every 10c drop. A battery with 50% capacity can freeze solid, requiring days indoors to thaw. Faster if you risk blowing it up and immerse (not submerge) it in a bathtub of warm water. And often it's useless afterwards anyhow. The freezing can damage the plates inside. The stock battery that comes in the car is good for perhaps 2 years.

Our aftermarket carries batteries better suited, tho. Some with electrolyte that won't freeze above -70c. I make a point of buying a battery twice the recommended size for my cars. My first Mitsubishi Mirage was running the battery recommended for a V8 pickup.

The booster packs are a good option, if it's big enough. Small ones simply burn themselves out trying. And engine locked up with motor oil the consistancy of treacle isn't gonna turn over for a handfull of AA rechargables. My booster has a pair of UPS gel cells rated at half my car battery's cap. And it goes into the house with me everynight to warm up. But often, the only thing that'll get a car turning fast enough is to hook up someone else's engine charge in circuit, let that force some charge into your own battery, and then crank with the combined capacity of both batteries, and his alt.

Professur said:
Em, I don't think you quite understand the nature of a Canadian winter. It's not if you need a boost. It's when. Batteries lose % of their capacity with every 10c drop. A battery with 50% capacity can freeze solid, requiring days indoors to thaw. Faster if you risk blowing it up and immerse (not submerge) it in a bathtub of warm water. And often it's useless afterwards anyhow. The freezing can damage the plates inside. The stock battery that comes in the car is good for perhaps 2 years.

Our aftermarket carries batteries better suited, tho. Some with electrolyte that won't freeze above -70c. I make a point of buying a battery twice the recommended size for my cars. My first Mitsubishi Mirage was running the battery recommended for a V8 pickup.

The booster packs are a good option, if it's big enough. Small ones simply burn themselves out trying. And engine locked up with motor oil the consistancy of treacle isn't gonna turn over for a handfull of AA rechargables. My booster has a pair of UPS gel cells rated at half my car battery's cap. And it goes into the house with me everynight to warm up. But often, the only thing that'll get a car turning fast enough is to hook up someone else's engine charge in circuit, let that force some charge into your own battery, and then crank with the combined capacity of both batteries, and his alt.

Dude, I thought our winters were bad around here...but DUDE! I can't remember the last time I had a window freeze shut on a car or the last time my mom needed a boost...she's had her car over 2 years and had her van almost 3...and neither had/has battery issues.

Back