New Car

Professur said:
It's long enough? You gonna get a Tempo to cover it?

Our driveway is double wide...we have a full two car garage (like, two single doors with a good foot and a half of brick between them so there's PLENTY of space inside for two vehicles) and my dad's old truck is on one side and come snow fall my mom will be parking on the other side. I'll park in the driveway infront of the door where my dad's truck is since that doesn't get used in the winter (might not get used this summer either cause it needs all new break lines and such)...for now I'll park on one side of the driveway and my mom the other.

A tempo???

Tempo (tm)
FrameTempo_03.gif

Basically... a tarp garage for the winter. Good to stop you from having to shovel out your car in the mornings and it cuts the wind which is what freezes your doors shut and fucks with your battery.

I haven't got anything yet but I visited the Kia and Hyundai dealers this morning. Kia is second in line if I can't get the Pursuit within my budget. On wednesday I bargain :D

Oh, prof...this is very similar to my house...mine is grey and a mirror image and we have two windows on front and one on the side where as this house as three on the front and none on the side (I know you can't see the side). The front of the house is living/dining room so they each have the same # of windows in those rooms just in different places. Anyway, the garage/driveway is the same size as mine.

w9103321.jpg

MrBishop said:
Tempo (tm)
FrameTempo_03.gif

Basically... a tarp garage for the winter. Good to stop you from having to shovel out your car in the mornings and it cuts the wind which is what freezes your doors shut and fucks with your battery.

Yeah, my mom would never let me put one of those infront of her house. I'm hoping I'll be moved on by winter, maybe into a place with underground parking.

Nixy said:
Yeah, my mom would never let me put one of those infront of her house. I'm hoping I'll be moved on by winter, maybe into a place with underground parking.
If you have a double garage, you don't need one. Park indoors! :) *Edit_nevermind, I just reread your post. You Mom wouldn't want you to use one?

I don't own one yet... but from what I've seen, the ones that'll accept a minivan are pricy

MrBishop said:
If you have a double garage, you don't need one. Park indoors! :) *Edit_nevermind, I just reread your post. You Mom wouldn't want you to use one?

I don't own one yet... but from what I've seen, the ones that'll accept a minivan are pricy

My mom wouldn't want it in her driveway. I figure her theory is gonna be that she did without a garage until she was 39 so I can do without one at 22 :D

And yeah, suggesting the truck be parked outside could result in me sleeping in the car so we won't do that :D

Believe it or not, I've actually felt the frost break loose as I opened my car door a few times this past winter... and this is a non-Sierra Nevada California winter we speak of here.

MrBishop said:

If you don't mind me saying so, the smart thing for you would be to build out a carport. But that's just me. The only difference between the regular car ones, and minivan ones are 2 1' extensions to put under the enterance. It would take me about 20 minutes to make them for you. The slope of your drive would be a much more important issue.

Professur said:
Em, I don't think you quite understand the nature of a Canadian winter. It's not if you need a boost. It's when. Batteries lose % of their capacity with every 10c drop. A battery with 50% capacity can freeze solid, requiring days indoors to thaw. Faster if you risk blowing it up and immerse (not submerge) it in a bathtub of warm water. And often it's useless afterwards anyhow. The freezing can damage the plates inside. The stock battery that comes in the car is good for perhaps 2 years.

Our aftermarket carries batteries better suited, tho. Some with electrolyte that won't freeze above -70c. I make a point of buying a battery twice the recommended size for my cars. My first Mitsubishi Mirage was running the battery recommended for a V8 pickup.

The booster packs are a good option, if it's big enough. Small ones simply burn themselves out trying. And engine locked up with motor oil the consistancy of treacle isn't gonna turn over for a handfull of AA rechargables. My booster has a pair of UPS gel cells rated at half my car battery's cap. And it goes into the house with me everynight to warm up. But often, the only thing that'll get a car turning fast enough is to hook up someone else's engine charge in circuit, let that force some charge into your own battery, and then crank with the combined capacity of both batteries, and his alt.

Erm... I think it snowed for about a week here in January... if you can call it that... not even enough to make a snowman. Yet only 20 years ago I remember having to motorcycle through several feet of the damn stuff on a regular basis! I used to take the battery indoors every night and put it on charge. Or just roll it down the hill for a bump start. I hate getting in a cold car. :(

Also if I leave my lights on my car warbles at me when I open the door and won't shut up till I switch them off or close the door. :lol:

Inkara1 said:
Believe it or not, I've actually felt the frost break loose as I opened my car door a few times this past winter... and this is a non-Sierra Nevada California winter we speak of here.

Back before I had covered parking, I had to use a hair dryer to melt my doors open after the ice storms we sometimes get here.

Today I bought my first new car. Behold the Nix mobile :D

This is the exact car I bought, I'll have pics of my actual one after I get it Friday morning.

pont_purs_gall_main_ext_02.jpg

2006 Pontiac Pursuit SE I wanted the dark grey but it's not available in the model w/ the options I wanted (I guess the factories are making 2007s now even though they're not on the lots yet, so it's whatever is left around for 2006 models). I love the silver too though.

Which options does it have? How low were you able to bargain the price down to? When are you going to break in the back seat? These are important questions!

hmmm options...auto headlights, power doors, windows, mirrors, outdoor temperature read out, a "it's time for an oil change" indicator, steering wheel cruise and radio controls, leather wrapped wheel and shifter, fog lights, 16" alloy wheels, height adjustable driver's seat, CD, 60/40 splitting back seat, ABS, I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff...

as for the trunk, the trunk is VERY LARGE, and it has like hydralics holding it up (as does the hood so no little metal holder up dodad) and the hydraulic arms are not in the trunk opening so they don't get in the way (in my mom's car you need to leave a little space on each side free for the trunk supports when you close it, not in this car :D

It does indeed come with a block heater

Back