no divorce

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
turns out me and nat are not getting divorced.

turns out the preist never sent in the paperwork, so we where never legally married.

LMFAO

Professur said:
You're not fucking serious.

Yes, and no.

The situation is as follows.

Lawyer needed a copy of marriage certificate and birth certificate. I requested both.

I received the birth certificate and this past week I receive a letter from government stating

"We have noticed that the event corresponding to the aboce-mentioned request for certificate is not recorded in the register of civil status of Quebec.

Moreover, the Directeur de l'etat civil may conduct an inquiry and then proceed with the registration. For this purpose, we ask that you please send us the certified photocopy of the register in which the said act was recorded with the seal of the parish or municipality.

If it is possible for you to provide us with the required documentation for registration of this even, we invite you to send us a new request along with the appropriate fee using the enclosed form."

Oh, holy shit. I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

I would, however, be having an extremely long and pointed chat with the priest.

HomeLAN said:

I laughed really. The priest croaked a year after our wedding, almost to the day.

unclehobart said:
OMFG.

Twas my first true 'coffee spit up moment' of the year. Thats... staggering.

Imagine my surprise when I got the letter. :lol2: Thank goodness I didn't have anything in my mouth. I probably would have choked.

So... does this mean you will need to refile the last few years of taxes?

This is going to end up being a web within a web.

unclehobart said:
What about theoretical communal property like the house?

What fun.

still works as a divorced, cause we where common law, and the house is under both names, now if we where not married and the house was only in one name, then someone could be an asshole

That, my friend, is the problem.

Fortunately, quebec has managed to distort and ruin pretty much anything to do with marriage, so the split of assets shouldn't be any different.

HomeLAN said:

Probably wasn't the priest's fault. If s/he had a secretary, it's the secretary's duty to fill in all the paperwork, make sure its signed and send it on its merry way. Believe me...I get to do that for weddings 10-15 times per year.

Maybe they can get their money back from the church for the ceremony :D

Back