Northern Ireland

Gotnolegs

Considering the similarities between the situation in Iraq and the situation in NI I'd be interested to hear people's opinions of the troubles there.

What is the solution? Should the English pull out? Should they stay? Should we simply do what we have been doing and ignore the fact that the paramilitary organisations are still active and make sure the papers all have bigger stories than another punishment killing in Belfast?

How about the US funding for Republican terror groups? Personally I don't feel that Hypocricy is a strong enough word but a lot of people disagree.

How about the fact that Major terroriost groups hide behind the so called respectability of political organisations? How should they be dealt with?

G

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Gonz said:
We do not negotiate with terrorists.

That's not the point he was making, Gonz. He is trying to show that the groups in NI who are fighting British ruleare hiding behind political organizations (a la Yassar Arafat), and getting their money from outside of NI to support their terror. Some of that cash coming from 'private donations' here in the US. The UK has been trying to get that money stopped for decades, and the US government has done nothing to help them, using the Privacy Act of 1974 as a backdrop.

In todays world, however, if Scotland Yard would come up with some names, something might happen...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
He wanted an opinion. I gave him one. Stop the terrorists. I don't care if they're Irish or Arab, Muslin or Catholic or Protestant, male or female.

I'd be happy to see some of the American supporters brought forth but Rose would never allow Ted to be caught.

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
I'd be happy to see some of the American supporters brought forth but Rose would never allow Ted to be caught.

Erm...I thought Rose was dead...

Gotnolegs

Gato_Solo said:
That's not the point he was making, Gonz. He is trying to show that the groups in NI who are fighting British ruleare hiding behind political organizations (a la Yassar Arafat), and getting their money from outside of NI to support their terror. Some of that cash coming from 'private donations' here in the US. The UK has been trying to get that money stopped for decades, and the US government has done nothing to help them, using the Privacy Act of 1974 as a backdrop.

In todays world, however, if Scotland Yard would come up with some names, something might happen...

Thank you, that was exactly what I was meaning.

Gonz - When does someone become a terrorist? The man who plants the bomb is certainly one, but how about the american guy who pretends to be Irish who sends money? Is he one too?

ClaireBear

Banned
Gotnolegs said:
Thank you, that was exactly what I was meaning.

Gonz - When does someone become a terrorist? The man who plants the bomb is certainly one, but how about the american guy who pretends to be Irish who sends money? Is he one too?

The term is "Pantomime Irish"...

This has intregued me too... my immediate thought after Sept 11th was "after them apples they gotta stop the funding" I assumed it would be a little different if it was no longer a NIMBY situation (Not In My Backyard) but I have been proven wrong... I also thought Dubya made a statement to the effect that the funding would be stopped but then maybe I was tripping!!!! His Southern, incomprehensible drawl has that effect once the laughter due to content has worn off!

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gotnolegs said:
how about the american guy who pretends to be Irish who sends money? Is he one too?

Either you is with us or you is ag'in us.
GW said:
Some have argued that confronting the threat from Iraq could detract from the war against terror. To the contrary; confronting the threat posed by Iraq is crucial to winning the war on terror. When I spoke to Congress more than a year ago, I said that those who harbor terrorists are as guilty as the terrorists themselves. Saddam Hussein is harboring terrorists and the instruments of terror, the instruments of mass death and destruction. And he cannot be trusted. The risk is simply too great that he will use them, or provide them to a terror network.

Gotnolegs

I was really hoping that you'd actually answer rather than just spout someone else's rhetoric.

Never mind.

freako104

Gonz said:
Either you is with us or you is ag'in us.

yes but what about those that see us as terrorists? does that make us so? and its this kind of logic that keeps wars going

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
Where do we act as terrorists?

When US citizens supply finacial incentives (money) to known terrorist groups. We go after Middle Eastern descended citizens who give money to terrorist groups (whether they know it's such a group or not), but we don't go after Irish descended citizens who give cash to terrorist groups (whether they know it's such a group or not)...or I haven't heard of any to date. If I'm wrong, and some of these North Ireland terrorist sympathizers are being prosecuted, please let me know...from anywhere...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I wasn't referring to financing terror. I think freak meant physically being a terrorist, in his post.

Gato_Solo

Gonz said:
I wasn't referring to financing terror. I think freak meant physically being a terrorist, in his post.

Taken as a whole, isn't a terrorist, and a person who funds the terrorist, the same thing? Both share responsibility for the damages, in my opinion. :shrug:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
In general, yes, in which you can refer to my posts, numbers 2, 4 & 10. This instance, I believe, he was speaking of our acts of vandalism, bus-bombing campaigns & poison gas mailings, so to speak.

freako104

Gonz said:

which I did to some extent. I was discounting what Gato said about us funding certain groups

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Then the question still stands...what acts of terrorism has the American government participated in?