Northern Ireland

BeardofPants said:
Depends on the POV, donit?

Indeed. The most succesfull act of terrorism (argueably) was when Reagan ordered the bombing of Libya. (1986?)

That is....if you class terrorism as using violence, without a declaration of war, to cause as much damage/death/fear as possible to get what you want :shrug:

I think Reagan said it himself......"we did it to send them a message" ......

An aggressive act of a nation toward another nation is an act of war. Should the attackee choose not to participate it may be classified elsewhere. (when lawyers get involved war becomes crap like police action).

Terrorism is an act or acts against a civilian population whose sole purpose is to cause panic, fear & mayhem. The attackers are not, by and large, acting authorities or representatives of the government. That is not to say terrorists do not act with permission (ie Afghanistan) or that some governments do not turn a blind eye to actions within their borders (ie Syria or Saudi Arabia ).

I'm sure Reagan wouldn't have had any second thoughts on finishing off Khadafi's circle had they accepted the challenge. That is the purpose of the big guns. One or two of them reminds the opposition that we send in the heavy stuff before we send in troops. More of ours come home that way.

Gonz said:
An aggressive act of a nation toward another nation is an act of war. Should the attackee choose not to participate it may be classified elsewhere. (when lawyers get involved war becomes crap like police action).

Terrorism is an act or acts against a civilian population whose sole purpose is to cause panic, fear & mayhem. The attackers are not, by and large, acting authorities or representatives of the government. That is not to say terrorists do not act with permission (ie Afghanistan) or that some governments do not turn a blind eye to actions within their borders (ie Syria or Saudi Arabia ).

I'm sure Reagan wouldn't have had any second thoughts on finishing off Khadafi's circle had they accepted the challenge. That is the purpose of the big guns. One or two of them reminds the opposition that we send in the heavy stuff before we send in troops. More of ours come home that way.

Indeed......but it's still no different to a car bomb outside an embassy (lf whichever country)......a nail bomb in an irish pub.....or a couple of jet airliners in a business center in a city.

It all tells the same message "we don't agree with you......and we are showing that we will use extreme violence to stop you"

An act of war has to be declared as an act of war gonz.......you can't just go around bombing the shit out of everyone and say "well, if they had fought back it would have been ok" :D#

Terrorism takes many forms......and, I'm sorry to say, is often used by both the "good" and the "bad" guys.

Of course, good and bad depend totally on yer point of view....but that has prolly been discussed here elswhere ;)

Gonz said:
An aggressive act of a nation toward another nation is an act of war.
In other words, when those people flew into the WTC, it was an act of war, then?

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. :shrug: All depends on your point of view. I'm sure that the people in Nicaragua would consider the US rather differently, than you, my friend. :shrug:

Another Point of View not necessarily sustained by the author of this post, but merely a means of illustrating the above point.

ResearchMonkey said:
I chase my kids around and tickle them 'til they cry, am I a terrorist? :shrug:

I suppoes that this depends on how you look :D If you look anything like your current AV...I'd be terrified :D

Now...if your kids were terrified of being tickled and those tears were not those of joy...:shrug:

On to more serious matters.

My in-laws are Basque. Some people in the Basque regions of Spain and France are terrorists. We've sent money overseas. Are we terrorists if, by happenstance, some of that money is used in terrorist activities?

I ask this because a second-cousin of my wife got arrested for spray-painting basque seperatist propoganda on walls around his city.

presoak euskera

MrBishop said:
My in-laws are Basque. Some people in the Basque regions of Spain and France are terrorists. We've sent money overseas. Are we terrorists if, by happenstance, some of that money is used in terrorist activities?

I ask this because a second-cousin of my wife got arrested for spray-painting basque seperatist propoganda on walls around his city.

presoak euskera

I don't think sending monetry gifts to a family member for Christmas/Birthday where it is up to the individual to use the money as they wish can be looked upon in the same light as sending "donations" to foreign "charities" known to be involved in militant terrorist acts because Great Great Uncle Shaun had a half brother who had a sister who was Irish who came over on the boats with him to seek fame and fortune in the new Country.... is it?

ClaireBear said:
I don't think sending monetry gifts to a family member for Christmas/Birthday where it is up to the individual to use the money as they wish can be looked upon in the same light as sending "donations" to foreign "charities" known to be involved in militant terrorist acts because Great Great Uncle Shaun had a half brother who had a sister who was Irish who came over on the boats with him to seek fame and fortune in the new Country.... is it?

OK...what about the seperatist bar that I went to a few occasions while in Lizartza? The discussions with the patrons (whilst drunk) about the liberation of Quebec form its oppressor, Canada?

Oz said:
An act of war has to be declared as an act of war gonz

Isn't a bomb in your city a declaration? Maybe not a legal declaration but it says we're willing nonetheless.

BoP said:
In other words, when those people flew into the WTC, it was an act of war, then?
What nation were they employed?
me said:
The attackers are not, by and large, acting authorities or representatives of the government.

BoP said:
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.
That is precisley the reason we have wars. An act of aggression towards another is either just or it's not. They are not morally equal. The UN, knowing full well that saddam had broken every treaty he signed acted indifferently for just such a reason.

Bish said:
Then the car-bombers in Iraq are not terrorists, nor the suicide bombers?

Huh? The peoples of Iraq are at peace with the coalition forces. Terrorists & insurgent fighters are creating
me said:
panic, fear & mayhem

Why do you, the lot of you, want to justify terrorism?

MrBishop said:
OK...what about the seperatist bar that I went to a few occasions while in Lizartza? The discussions with the patrons (whilst drunk) about the liberation of Quebec form its oppressor, Canada?

Nope... not terrorism.. treason or what ever similar term could be used in connection with no monarchy...

Are you wanting to be a terrorist or something!?! :D

Gonz said:
Isn't a bomb in your city a declaration? Maybe not a legal declaration but it says we're willing nonetheless.

I don't understand wot yer mean here :confused:

Do you mean that every act of violence against a soveriegn country should be immediatly called an act of war?

Gonz said:
Why do you, the lot of you, want to justify terrorism?

We're not...we're just yanking on your conservative leg :D

I think that the whole point is yet another attempt to either knock America for it's actions in the past. There are some Americans that think that it's not just "America the beautiful"...but "America the Pure" as well. There are plenty of skeletons in American closets...and often, any attempts at hiding them or denying their existance makes people want to drag them out with more fervor. :shrug:

ClaireBear said:
Are you wanting to be a terrorist or something!?! :D

Well...it sounds sexy :D

Hi, My name is Bish and I'm a terrorist
Shhh...don't tell anyone. There's a secret meeting at my place tonight...come on over and I'll teacha how to seize property. I'm an expert in making people run home to shake and shiver in their beds. :D

Actually... nevermind that. I'm just defining guidelines. :nerd:

Bish said:
There are plenty of skeletons in American closets...

So what. There are plenty of skeletons in everybodies closet.

Answering Oz's query. An violent act of aggression (ie bombing, invading) sanctioned & endorsed by a counrty toward another can be & should be counted as an act of war...perhaps a declaration of war. If explosive means are used it's a good bet we're past the diplomatic stage.

QUOTE=Gonz]
Why do you, the lot of you, want to justify terrorism?[/QUOTE]

I dont think anyone is justifiyng it. but there are other points of view than our own and they dont see themselves as terrorists. They see us as terrorists.The 2 groups in Ireland see each other as such.

Why dont you ask them if they see themselves as terrorists? probably not. and why are they wrong? because they dont agree with you?

Back