Not a good Idea

Gonz said:
I keep telling you that there are more if us (ideological purists) than there are of them (politicians). Marketing changes, ideology doesn't.
I'm not saying ideology doesn't exist, just that it doesn't exist in politics.

Oh, and ideology does too change.

Change, in the ideology that I share, comes much slower & with much more thought than with others. Bandwagons tend to avoid this neighborhood.

I'm trying to figure it out.
I'm confused...
Do we need to be more independent, of more dependant on foreign investments?

Seems there mixed messages coming from the admin now.

I like the first option better.

catocom said:
Nope, the Teamsters don't like it worth a damn.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,185994,00.html

Exactly. It's more effective to strike a local company than a foreign run one.

cat said:
I'm confused...
Do we need to be more independent, of more dependant on foreign investments?

Foreign investments are good. Especially when they inject our economy with capital, in trade for real estate, only to have to sell it back to us for pennies on the dollar (see the late 80s)

Foreign Oil is the problem. We need to re-open wells in the States & open new ones in the Gulf & Alaska.

Dubai presents another tangible asset to the US....Al Dhafra Air Base.

Take a look at this map. I have no idea why the yellow line is there but it begins in or near the UAE. Take a look at the surrounding countries & ask yourself, what strategic help would the UAE be against, say, a soon-to-be (or wannabe) nuclear power. Especially if the part of the secret deal has other secrets (like unfettered air & port access)

This whole issue is a tempest inna teapot

the biggest one since Dick shot that poor old guy
in the face with a shotgun!!! sheesh

Stop and think for one millisecond

thar ain't been no attack since 9-11

don't cha think there's a daumn good reason fer that?

OK back to your regularly scheduled mainstream media hoopla

Gonz said:
Foreign investments are good. Especially when they inject our economy with capital, in trade for real estate, only to have to sell it back to us for pennies on the dollar (see the late 80s)

Foreign Oil is the problem. We need to re-open wells in the States & open new ones in the Gulf & Alaska.

Dubai presents another tangible asset to the US....Al Dhafra Air Base.

Take a look at this map. I have no idea why the yellow line is there but it begins in or near the UAE. Take a look at the surrounding countries & ask yourself, what strategic help would the UAE be against, say, a soon-to-be (or wannabe) nuclear power. Especially if the part of the secret deal has other secrets (like unfettered air & port access)
I don't believe ALL Foreign investments are good. Let's see...What all can be bought/leased here.
Not Nuke plants, but ports, land, airspace?, ..... (how much or this country should we outsource?)
and what effect does this have on US manufacturing companies?

So, if you have enough money, can you lease/buy a parking space next
to the Whitehorse? No?, why, they have security?

If this deal HAS to go through to keep them as allies, that's extortion IMO.
But that I assume is your assumption ATM, that they'd cut us off?

See I can kinda see letting a gov I don't "like" run certain aspects of certain ports,
like say China, because they import a lot of stuff THEY manufacture. I don't
like it, but I can understand why....
What does Dubai manufacture?

Winky said:

I'm not that sure there hasn't.

Winky said:
This whole issue is a tempest inna teapot

the biggest one since Dick shot that poor old guy
in the face with a shotgun!!! sheesh

Given the performance of Homeland Insecurity in other circumstances, I'd assume it has little to do with them.

catocom said:
If this deal HAS to go through to keep them as allies, that's extortion IMO.
But that I assume is your assumption ATM, that they'd cut us off?

You've misunderstood something. I haven't said that about the UAE.

catocom said:
See I can kinda see letting a gov I don't "like" run certain aspects of certain ports,
like say China, because they import a lot of stuff THEY manufacture. I don't
like it, but I can understand why....
What does Dubai manufacture?

Once again showing that China is a far more dangerous partner than the UAE. The only thing that this country owned firm does is manage. They aren't shipping anything. They aren't allowing, or halting, security. Hell, they're not even fully in charge of the port, only a section of it. They manifest forwarding bills from the originating shipper & arrange timely arrivals & delivery schedules. They aren't the shipper. Well, I suppose the UAE could ship something but that would come from a business in the UAE...

Gonz said:
They manifest forwarding bills from the originating shipper & arrange timely arrivals & delivery schedules.
I'm not sure on the Chins deal. I don't know how they have that set up.

So you are saying they just do like dispatching stuff.
Doesn't seem like they're getting much for 6.8 bills if that's the case. :confused:

catocom said:
he? Bush?, Predetermined? We don't even know at this point if he knew
the deal went through.
You know he is very strongly in favor of it and will do whatever he can to make sure it does right?

flavio said:
You know he is very strongly in favor of it and will do whatever he can to make sure it does right?
Yes, of that now, I am sure.
I don't think he's tried to hide that at all, quite the contrary.

have ya noticed? the conservative base, both here & in the media, do not see eye to eye on this. yet, somehow, we're not calling each other nazis or poo-poo heads or anything. hmmmmm

Mostly.
This is more important that partisan politics, but there are just a few that
seem to want to make it the case.

Back