Nuke the leak?

catocom

so, what happened to all the so-called 'Hope'.
It this the change we can now believe in?

Sure seems to be a lot of poeple out there wondering what in the crap
they've done voting for the guy.

catocom

apparently that assumption is wrong...
Bill Hemmer just said the pressure was low, but still persists.
I wonder what 'low' is in relation to.???

oops, I was wrong. It wasn't Hemmer, it was Greg Jarrett.
I get their names mixed up sometimes....somewhat dyslexic.

That wasn't right though, there IS a great deal of pressure there.
Inside and out.

catocom

some are pessimistic on this latest attempt to cut it, then try to cap it,
but I think it's got a shot this time.

ResearchMonkey

I think cutting it was the smartest move yet, get close to the source. THere is anice ring there they get a hold of with a clamping system. They can add a valve system to that.

ResearchMonkey

It looks like those knuckleheads are relying on weight to put that cap down. Smart folks, ain't always so smart.

That flange is where they needed to start this operation. TWO cuts, first one higher to drop off that extra weight of the pipe that binded the saw blade. A 2nd cut a +foot lower, clean. Get some clamping device around that flange as a solid platform to anchor the cover to, pull it down against the pressure.

Whatever, this was always under control with the Oilbama.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Good thing Bush & Cheney (you know, those OIL guys) aren't in charge ;)

catocom

It looks like those knuckleheads are relying on weight to put that cap down. Smart folks, ain't always so smart.

That flange is where they needed to start this operation. TWO cuts, first one higher to drop off that extra weight of the pipe that binded the saw blade. A 2nd cut a +foot lower, clean. Get some clamping device around that flange as a solid platform to anchor the cover to, pull it down against the pressure.

Whatever, this was always under control with the Oilbama.

yeah, I was wondering if the couldn't get those bolts out of that flange,
and try to 'clamp' another pipe, same size, then bolt it on.
Seems to me they should try to do this thing sectional too, instead of a one shot thing.

catocom

"Progress is being made, but we need to caution against over-optimism," said Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen, the government's point man for the disaster.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/03/time-lid-bp-works-cap-gulf-oil-gusher-latest-try-capture-crude/

BS, there's no such thing as "over-optimism"

high hopes, over-optimism, has nothing to do with their job, or concern.
He needs to focus on the job, and leave what other people 'feel' out of it.

I'm starting to think this guy is the wrong man for that job.
He needs to give the facts, and leave the commentary to the regular gov. PR people.

Since he won't give enough real info on the thinking of the top engineers, and such,
I guess he trying to fill the media space with this BS.

I wonder how long BP is going to screw around with that piece of junk cap idea,
before they give it up and try something that makes more since.

We all know now that they actually have something down there that can be work with.
To say nobody knows what to do is a buch of BS too.
They need to be looking at more simple solutions. They seem to be over-thinking it.

catocom

seems to me they need a Y or a U joint with a switch-over valve in it, and bolt it on there.

ResearchMonkey

I don't think getting that flange off is an option in such extreme conditions. By the same token i don't think getting another one on there is an option either. The last well i worked was pushing 4000PSI

They know the size of that flange, they could get a solid clamp around that flange. They could use a custom clamp as a platform for attaching a valved cap, maybe 2-3 valved outlets. The size of the out-flow on the cap would have to be considerably larger in total to reduce the pressure while trying to pull down the cap. The valves may need to be based on the seafloor due to weight. With 2 outlets you work one using the other as relief for the pressure.

Instead of trying to seal against the damaged pipe, seal the cap against the custom clamp around the flange. Enclose the damaged pipe inside this bell housing. Now you can attach a pipe to one outlet and then close the others.

The main problem is that there is no method to connect and control the flow. So the first order of business is creating a platform that affords you a method to connect your controls.

Winky

Forrest Gump Effect—dumb people who do marvelously well despite having the IQ of a chimp

catocom

It boggles my mind that Thad Allen said there's nothing else that can be done, until the relief well(s) are dug in Aug.

IMO it's unacceptable that they are in effect giving up until then.
They need to continue to work on another alternative fix, while working
on the relief well(s).

There's something (political, corrupt, or something else) that's wrong with this picture.

BP says in that commercial that they've hired thousands to work on the clean up.
It seems to me that the number should be at least tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands.
People are out of work, there's work to be done, ... 2+2

catocom

and another thing....
Where's all the "green" celebrities?
There are "aide" programs put on for disasters in Haiti, Aides in Africa...
Where's the fund raisers for the cleanup help on this?

I thought there were people like PETA... that cared about the wildlife.
Where's the fund raisers to help the wildlife from dying?

Looks like a bunch of hypocrites out there.

This could be turn around into something good (or better) with the 'correct' leadership.

catocom

yeah, I just saw on foxnews that there's a few places to donate on their site.

It's still nothing comparative to the outpouring, and outcry of other disasters.

I just don't understand why there's not better coordination on this one.

It's just really weird how some on the environmental community activist are all quiet.