Nuke the leak?

JTP

Moved down to the Panhandle back in December. Live on a barrier island, just a short walk to the beach. No oil here yet, but get form letters from law firms in the mail almost every day. "Jump on the Class-action suit Bandwagon!"

Guy 1: "Everybody's getting upset over nothing, crude oil is a natural substance".
Guy 2: "Yeah, well so is red-hot lava".

What do y'all think about the nuclear option?

http://trueslant.com/juliaioffe/2010/05/04/nuke-that-slick/

:microwav:

Dave

Go for it.
Nothing more entertaining than watching liberals froth at the mouth with apoplexy.
:retard:

ResearchMonkey

Wait until next month, then hit that sucker with a 50MT. Oh I would love to see that.

Oh the gamble; seal it up or open wider, what do you do?

Professur

I'd still like to know if it's possible to run a welder down there.

Yes it is. The problem is that you couldn't get a man down there to operate it.

Bish .. no good. Moab is an aerosol bomb. Won't work under water.

As for nukes .... contrary to common belief, noone publicly has anything in the way of explosives capable of surviving to that depth intact. And you wouldn't want to blow it on the floor anyhow. You'd want to get it down the pipe a ways. For that, you'd want to drill a secondary well to intersect this one .... oh, they're already doing that you say?

Professur

There's the problem ... pressure. They use massive hydraulic back pressure to 'frak' the shale rock containing natural gas. This oil is coming from miles under the surface. They risk 'fraking' the entire area with this attempt ... turning the entire place into a quagmire.

catocom

You'd need an artist's touch with all the damage done. Not to mention visibility is virtually nil where you'd be working, and you've contaminants under pressure behind the weld.

artist? nah, welding robots are good.
The kabota plant here uses um all the time.

Visibility? man the military has state of the are night-vision lenses.
Surely they can rig up something.

These people are starting to look like....
either they don't want to stop it, or they are not very smart.

Professur

Welding robots are good with situations that are predictable. night vision is useless when you're faced with a solid object which is what oil is at that depth. Smart? They're plenty smart. The problem is that noone's ever dealt with this before at these kinds of depths.

catocom

The problem is that noone's ever dealt with this before at these kinds of depths.

at least that's the excuse they keep using.
Noone ever went to the moon wither when they pulled it off.
As I hear history, it didn't take very many Tries either.

I still don't think they are the "9 smartest people in the world" as claimed.
I like the BP co., but there something amiss here....I'm tellin' ya.
I suspect politics for money, somehow.

I wonder if Kevin Costner has anything to do with it, since he sunk millions
into that recovery device several years ago, and has made a showing with it now.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
These people are starting to look like....
either they don't want to stop it, or they are not very smart.

They're looking like they have it relatively well in hand. The leak is no worse than it was. The government is out of the way & they have a potential solution.

catocom

They're looking like they have it relatively well in hand. The leak is no worse than it was. The government is out of the way & they have a potential solution.

doesn't look that way from where I'm sitting.

They are only giving this next thing with the mud a 60-65% chance.

I'll make one deduction...
The pressure from just the depth has to be pretty high, so the pressure
coming out of the rig has to be way, way up there.

Cerise

"The president of the United States could've come down here, he could've been involved with the families of these 11 people" who died on the offshore rig, Carville said. "He could've demanded a plan in anticipation of this."

"It just looks like he's not involved in this," an angry Carville said on "GMA." "Man, you got to get down here and take control of this, put somebody in charge of this thing and get this moving. We're about to die down here."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObrZwCVKR-c