NY DMV registration

rh71

not sure how many NY'kers are on this board so I thought I'd ask anyway...

Does the cost of your registration fee (2 years) depend on the type of vehicle ? (ie. SUV vs. 4-cylinder econobox) ? An SUV costs $55 but an Eagle Talon costs $35. I just want to make sure it's not an error on their part.

Inkara1

I don't know about New York, but in California the cost goes down pretty significantly as a car ages. The DMV wants $82 to register my 2000 Dodge Neon for 2005, plus the cost of a smog check. My 1981 Honda was usually in the $36 range.

Professur

In La Belle Province, all passenger vehicles cost the same. Too damn much. About $250 per vehicle.

MrBishop

Professur said:
In La Belle Province, all passenger vehicles cost the same. Too damn much. About $250 per vehicle.

You ain't just whistling dixie there! Fuckin' thieves!

chcr

Too cute for words
Here, it's the same for every car. about 57 bucks. that includes a 28 dollar "wheel tax." AZ on the other hand, was dependent (at least for cars I owned) on the age of the car. It was pretty high for a new one. 200+ dollars. Kinda subsidizing older cars, huh?

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
AZ & CA both had a base of (about) $4. for every $100. assessed value of the model. Add in a few goodies & it got stupid. At least it went down every year. I can't imagine registering a 1976 LeBaron in Canada & paying $250. :eek:

greenfreak

My new car cost about $50. to register for two years and it weighs 3241 pounds. Come to think of it, DMV owes me money from the old registration that I had to renew right before I sold it. Think I'll get it anytime soon? :rolleyes:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
That 250 is in Quebec, not the rest of Canada.

Vehicle permit and number plate(s) $20.00
Vehicle permit and plate for a trailer $35.00
Vehicle permit and decal for a motorized snow vehicle $30.00
Vehicle permit and plate for an Off-Road vehicle $35.00

Yearly Vehicle Validation Fees Cost
Passenger vehicles or motorized mobile homes In Southern Ontario $74.00* In Northern Ontario $37.00*
Motorcycles In Southern Ontario $42.00* In Northern Ontario $21.00*

Professur

Ah, but you see, Les, you don't get to benefit from the obligatory 140+ no-fault insurance. Or the $30+ Mass Transit donation. Or the $8 admin fee.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
*mutters about no fault insurance*

PLEASE don't get me going...the thought that since I am a new driver who atm is still not FULLY licenced (I'm in a stupid Ontario intermediate stage where I can drive alone but still have one road test to do...scheduled for tomorrow...let's hope I don't run another red light :lloyd: ) if some IDIOT rear ends me at a red light or something MY insurance is gonna go up and my mom won't beable to afford it (and I definately can't...I need a loan just to pay for school this year) and then I won't beable to drive anymore! Even when (yes, WHEN, not IF) I pass my test tomorrow I'll be only be newly fully licenced so I won't get much of a break and the same fear will reside in me!

*wanders off mutters and cussing under her breath*

A.B.Normal

Nixy said:
if some IDIOT rear ends me at a red light or something MY insurance is gonna go up and my mom won't beable to afford it (and I definately can't...
If someone runs into the back of you its "their " fault and your insurance won't go up.Now if you run into the back of someone,even if they've slammed on their brakes,its your fault no if ands or buts.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
*raises hand*

As a resident of a state that believes (well prestends to) in personal liability as opposed to those whose states believe in socialized insurance, might ask a question, please?

Isn't it called NO FAULT for a reason?

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
you seem to assume that any of us understand wtf it means and how it works :alienhuh:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
my bank's insurance info page dealie thing said:
What is it?
Ontario has a "no-fault" car insurance system. But this doesn't mean that no one is at-fault in an accident. "No-fault" insurance means that if you are injured or your car is damaged in an accident, then you deal with your own insurance company, regardless of who is at-fault. You don't have to go after the at-fault driver for compensation.
Similarly, if any passengers in your car is injured, then he/she has a car insurance policy of his/her own will approach his/her own insurance company for benefits. If your passengers don't have a car insurance policy of their own, then your insurance company may pay benefits to them. The driver of the other car involved in the accident will claim benefits from his/her own insurance company.

How does it work?
Someone is always deemed to be "at-fault" in a car accident, whether partly or fully. The law requires insurance companies to assign the percentage of fault for each of the drivers involved in the accident. This is done by using the "Fault Determination Rules".
These rules, which are set out in a regulation under the Insurance Act, help insurance companies deal with accident claims quickly and economically. The Fault Determination Rules differ from any charges laid by the police under the Highway Traffic Act.

Here's an example
Say you were unable to stop your car on an icy road. You rear-ended another car and the police officer told you that "no one was at-fault". This usually means that no police charges will be laid. It does not mean that the insurance companies involved will not consider who was at-fault. In this case, the insurance company would apply the Fault Determination Rules. This states that a car that rear-ends another car is at-fault (since drivers are required to take road conditions into consideration).
Your percentage of fault will determine the amount of deductible you have to pay. Generally, if you're fully or partially at fault in an accident, insurance companies will increase your premiums at your next renewal date.

What to do if you don't agree
Don't agree with the way in which your insurance company has determined fault? Then contact the person your insurance company has appointed to deal with consumer complaints. This is usually the company's Ombudsman Liaison Officer. If your complaint is still not resolved, you may contact the Ontario Insurance Ombudsman. If you're still not satisfied with your insurance company's position, you may choose to go to court.
:confbang:

source

A.B.Normal

Another good read http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/insurance/no-fault1.asp
Here's the basic premise of no-fault auto insurance: You pay the premium and when you have an accident, your insurance company pays you for any injuries you sustain.

"Comprehensive and collision, which covers physical damage to the car, works essentially the same in both no-fault and tort states," says Dan Kummer, director of auto insurance for the National Association of Independent Insurers. The real difference, he says, is who's paying for any injuries.

When people talk about 'no-fault,' they often are really talking about the personal injury/lost wages side of things. Many people will say 'no-fault' when what they are referring to is personal injury protection.

When it comes to physical damage on the car from a consumer point of view, the two systems work the same. If someone hits you in a no-fault state, your company pays to fix your car. And may then go after the other guy's insurance company if they find out it was his fault.

If someone hits you in a tort state, you can have your insurance company fix it. Or, you can leave them out of the picture and have the other driver's insurance company handle the details. That means you would not have to worry about reporting the accident to your insurance company or paying a deductible.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I recall Cal was looking at No-Fault insurance after Mass took it up. It looked great, on paper. After careful consideration in the real word, it was heartily rejected for what it is. HMO for cars.