Obama considering presidency in '08

He's better known than many presidents were 2 years before the election. He's got solid policies and a history of building cross-party compromise.

Why would he lose badly?
We have never had anything at the head of the ship other than a stuffy old white dude, or in the case of Kennedy and Teddy Rosevelt, relatively young stuffy white dudes. Electing a President is a tricky status quo operation. People and buisinesses get skittish as deer under the threat of radical change. Electing a woman or a non-white will require the extra step that they be just a wee bit more conservative than most in oder to achieve that certain balance. Therefore, the first woman or black will almost have to be a Republican or Centrist. Obama is a Democrat with some strong left ideals.

I dare say that in a head to head race, Alan Keyes would stand a better chance. I also remember back in the second term election for Clinton that everyone fell in love with Bob Dole's wife and wanted her to run for office instead of Bob. She was intelligent, disarming, funny, ran the Red Cross, was soccer-mom conservative, and made everyone feel good... but she refused and fell back into obscurity.

I completely forgot that she ran in 2000. My memory was from 95 when Bob was running. She had a kind of Ross Perot momentum to her that would have possibly let her win if she was really running .

Wiki: She served as United States Secretary of Transportation from 1983 to 1987 under Ronald Reagan, the first woman appointed to that position. During her tenure the implementation of the third brake light on passenger cars was made mandatory. As Secretary of Transportation, she is the first woman to have served as the head of a branch of the United States Military, as the United States Coast Guard was in the Department of Transportation at the time. Dole served as United States Secretary of Labor from 1989 to 1990 under George H. W. Bush; she is the first woman to serve in two different Cabinet positions in the administrations of two Presidents.

From 1991 to 1999 she was president of the American Red Cross.

Nice resume.

By the time she ran in 2000, she was no longer a hot comoddity. Lord knows the American voter has all of the attention span of a newt and promptly forgot who she was.

There is no more fundamental American right than the right to vote. Before the landmark 1965 Voting Rights Act, barriers such as literacy tests, poll taxes and property requirements disenfranchised many Americans, especially minorities. More than 40 years later, there are still numerous obstacles to ensuring that every citizen has the ability to vote.

:bs:

He will increase investments in infrastructure,
Pay for it, how?

energy independence, education, and research and development;

Not the place of the government.

Obama believes that we must equip poor and struggling districts, both rural and urban, with the support and resources they need to provide disadvantaged students with an opportunity to reach their full potential.
Perhaps he too can ask Teddy K to substantially increase public education funding, just like GWB.

a leader in the Senate in pushing for a comprehensive national energy policy and has introduced a number of bills to get us closer to the goal of energy independence.
We're gonna drill in Anwar & the Gulf?

I...believe that every American has the right to affordable health care.
Where does it say that?

the recommendations of the 9/11 Commission have been underfunded and ignored

Good.

Most poor Americans are in the workforce
That's a start.

If Washington continues policies that work against America's family farmers,
Keep Washington out of our cornfields.

All things to all people. Woohoo. A Washington insider fro Prez.

and it turns out only the VP candidate for the repooplickans needs a drool catcher. though mcgrumpy could use some anger management courses.

The more Gov Paln is around, the better she looks. SHe's gonna be a force to be reckoned with.

:rofl4: She's already a joke, even among the republicans.

Yeah, you have to straight out ignore a whole shitload of news not to know that there's an extreme backlash against her even in the republican party.

How do you even start to rationalize a airheaded religious fundie whack job that's a joke even in her own party as "a force to be reckoned with"?

It's mind bottling.

Maybe, I like the shirt thoough.

Mind-bottling---250xp.gif

Back