Paper or plastic?

I don't understand where you get this amount. Granted, cloth or jute bags are relatively heavier than plastic, but not that much heavier - not so much so that it would limit your shopping to only two day's worth of food. Please elaborate.

I'm not talking about the heaviness of the bag. I'm talking about the sheer volume of food. My wife and I go shopping twice a month, and wind up with a trunk-load of bags in the car. I extrapolated downwards from there. Two days of food would be around two bags of groceries, not including bathroom tissue et al...:shrug:

Buy more cloth bags :shrug:

Okay...I'll try again. How many bags of groceries can the average person carry? Off-hand, I'd say four, before you have to start worrying about the weight factor. My wife and I routinely run around 30 bags, most of which are meats and veggies. Remember...we also shop just twice a month, and our shopping takes us at least 4 miles from home. Try carrying four bags for four miles...

OK... you're assuming that those who use cloth bags walk their groceries home?

When I shop, I'm doing it for four people. It's done about every 2-3 weeks and costs me 200-300$. I use cloth bags when i can - and I'm trying harder to use them more often.

I still pack them, put them in the carriage, walk'em to the van, load up the van and drive home.

The main difference is they're cloth/jute bags that I own instead of plastic bags that I get. - that and having to carry the empty bags with me into the store.

The big plus, other than the reusability/less pollution factor, is that my bags don't stretch, rip, break and the handles don't come off. They're also more comfy on the hands, with the handles not thinning down and trying to cut their way through my fingers :)

We seem to be arguing from the same side. You prefer paper over plastic and suggest a surcharge for those who want to continue using plastic. I prefer cloth bags over plastic and suggest a surcharge (albeit larger) for those who want to continue using plastic. :shrug:

The GVT in play seems to assume that a surcharge is either not sufficient to change people's ways or not effective enough - so they're enacting a bill/law to force the issue.

We seem to be arguing from the same side. You prefer paper over plastic and suggest a surcharge for those who want to continue using plastic. I prefer cloth bags over plastic and suggest a surcharge (albeit larger) for those who want to continue using plastic. :shrug:

The GVT in play seems to assume that a surcharge is either not sufficient to change people's ways or not effective enough - so they're enacting a bill/law to force the issue.

And thats where I draw the line. The GVT has no business banning a legal product. :shrug: It's never a good idea to let a government dictate what you should do unless such activity causes harm to your neighbor. A landfill is not harmful. Unsightly? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Harmful? No. You can't legislate environmental friendliness. You can make environmental unfriendliness pay, though, which is why I'm for a surcharge, and not a ban...

And thats where I draw the line. The GVT has no business banning a legal product. :shrug: It's never a good idea to let a government dictate what you should do unless such activity causes harm to your neighbor. A landfill is not harmful. Unsightly? Yes. Expensive? Yes. Harmful? No. You can't legislate environmental friendliness. You can make environmental unfriendliness pay, though, which is why I'm for a surcharge, and not a ban...

Actually - it would't exactly be the first time that protecting the environment is legislated. Garbage has just been overlooked.

Mining has huge sections of reclamation of the land and disposal of hazardous materials.

There are numerous laws regarding dumping chemicals in oceans or waters, laws about sewage treatment, laws about smokestacks, laws regarding car exhaust - hell, laws about littering and even spitting on the street.

Actually - it would't exactly be the first time that protecting the environment is legislated. Garbage has just been overlooked.

Mining has huge sections of reclamation of the land and disposal of hazardous materials.

There are numerous laws regarding dumping chemicals in oceans or waters, laws about sewage treatment, laws about smokestacks, laws regarding car exhaust - hell, laws about littering and even spitting on the street.

True, but those laws are basically punishments for not cleaning up after yourself. The wording is a bit different, but the result is the same. Most 'laws' against dumping toxic waste are more about fines for cleanup than actual jail-time...unless said dumping causes aggregious damage to the area.

I just brought home 15 bags. I know that's how many cause I was stupid enough AGAIN to not take any, and I bought them @ 5c each. I've learned to guess how many I'll need very well! Yay me! Anyway, I shop normally at two stores, both owned by the same corporation. One charges for bags, and the other doesn't. At the one that charges, many of the customers bring either cloth or plastic bags from home, or plastic totes, or use the cardboard boxes that the store provides at the front of the store. At the one that doesn't charge, very few are proactive like that. Also, I and those I know who shop at the chargey store take more care with the plastic bags at home, and don't just throw them into the trash, but reuse them for home needs. To make them worth the 5c.

So, from my personal little survey, I believe charging a fee would substantially lessen the amount of plastic use. I am in favour of that option.

On a side note, I'm not aware of any grocery stores here that offer paper as a choice. I don't see me liking it, though. I HATE the paper bags at clothing stores. I'd go either plastic (free or paid for) or cloth over paper any day. I'm not aware of whether or not the bags offered here are biodegradeable.

A brown paper bag is perhaps the most eco-friendly product known to man. Heavy, course fiber & relatively few ingredients & a color to macth the dirt. What more could you ask for?

you must be one hell of a price shopper. in $CAD no less... jebus... i gues yer going to no frills or price chopper a lot, eh?

Two of them are kids...and yes, I price shop. Don't have much of a choice...If I buy 'just anything' from anywhere it'll cost me an arm and a leg. I'm also in a place called 'Club Price' - where membership allows me to buy in bulk, at bulk rates. :bgpimp:

you must be one hell of a price shopper. in $CAD no less... jebus... i gues yer going to no frills or price chopper a lot, eh?

My bill isn't much more over a 4 week period...My wife only shops for the two of us, though...and she likes choice cuts of meat.

My bill isn't much more over a 4 week period...My wife only shops for the two of us, though...and she likes choice cuts of meat.

i guess all that organic shit and the $35/lb. cheese adds up. $2-300 is about a week around here, not counting dining out. and there's only the two of us - me and my trans-sexual slovakian lover.

So when it comes time to pay, is it your transsexual Slovakian lover that writes the Czech? :D

nice. :D

hey gonz - there's more to life than gubmint brick cheese... but why would you drive a porsche when a yugo is so much more affordable? and hey, it'll get you there, too. kinda.

(as an aside, i know a chick that won a yugo in some sort of beauty contest. my friend pigged her in that car. i'm told it was difficult to avoid laughter during the event.)

Back