Parent objects to cookie punishment

What the hell is a torte, anyways? I'm sick to fucking death of that God damned commercial about wether or not the tell her friends about the new Duncan Hines torte or not.

Torte? It's like round brownie with icing on it.
And those Duncan Hines things are effin goooooooood!
:licklips:

Professur said:
What the hell is a torte, anyways? I'm sick to fucking death of that God damned commercial about wether or not the tell her friends about the new Duncan Hines torte or not.

So you have had a few adult beverages, can you add any more to the discussion?

highwayman said:
So you have had a few adult beverages, can you add any more to the discussion?

Actually, I haven't had any yet. So let's call that strike one. I already made several points earlier that I've yet to hear any opposing views to. So let's call that strike two.

And more importantly, I've made my point using only the information presented as opposed to speculations. It's understood that the writer of the article didn't present the case in an unbaised manner.
You want to call that one strike three, or would you like to address one of the earlier points first?

HomeLAN said:
OK, so where IS the line drawn? Tell me, oh wise(assed) one.

Obviously a cookie's OK, a mustang isn't (in your book). Where's the line? Don't tell me common sense, because we both know that ain't common at all. Give me a line. A real one. Dollar amount, or similar. It's a basic distinction, right?

in this case i don't really care where the line is drawn. it's a stupid fucking kid and a cookie. he's a shithead. and so is his mom. lousy fuckin' liberal parenting...

but, since you need a number, how about 92 cents?

yep, that's it.

so here in 2minkeyland, the backwaters of my own secret thoughts, offenses shall be scaled as follows:

theft of less than $.92 in value shall be considered a "minor dick" act - a noncriminal minor offense - and be punishable by fines up to four times the amount in question and forced endurance of a small dog urinating upon the offender's foot rendered bare, after which any record of said "minor dickitude" shall be expunged from all public record.

theft of $.92 or greater, to $50, in value shall be considered "wang-tacular" and be charged with a misdemeanor. punishable by up to 37 days in the county pokey or by fucking hillary clinton in the poopchute, whichever seems worse at the moment.

Theft of greater than $50 shall be considered a felony and punishable by up to and including fatal exposure to calliope music.

2minkey said:
theft of $.92 or greater, to $50, in value shall be considered "wang-tacular" and be charged with a misdemeanor. punishable by up to 37 days in the county pokey or by fucking hillary clinton in the poopchute, whichever seems worse at the moment.

7th Amendment said:
In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.

there's already a limit

SouthernN'Proud said:
So. No one here ever filched a cookie. Saints one and all. Imagine the odds.

I never did. A pack of 5 cent gum once...and was duly disciplined by mom when she asked where I got it (I was 5, and I remember), and by dad when mom ratted me out later that same day (he knew the store owner). The only things I've stolen since are hearts and minds...:shrug: Two a$$-whippings are a lot more harsh than what this kid got.

Shit, prices these days, that cookie was probably more than 92 cents. You;d be OK, then, with me strealing, say, a coke a day off of you. Merits no punishment, since it's less than 92 cents.

Yes, the law establishes 20 for jury trial, and it creates gradients within crime. Petty theft vs. grand theft, etc. However, the law usually deals with adults, and you have the luxury of doing that with grown-ups. Not always the case with kids. With children, still developing their sense of values, the only lesson that should be imparted is:

Theft is theft, it's wrong, and it carries consequences.

Period, the end.

Look, the set of laws this kid is going to eventually have to live by is 95% based on not taking what doesn't belong to you. Not just property crimes, either. Murder is theft of a life. Battery is theft of physical health. Rape, arson, pretty much you name it, it's based on taking what doesn;t belong to you. And in a few years, this code will decide whether Jeremy goes to jail or not.

That's why it's utterly, horrifically irresponsible and misguided to say anything close to "it's just a cookie" in a spot like this.

Theft is theft.

HomeLAN said:
Look, the set of laws this kid is going to eventually have to live by is 95% based on not taking what doesn't belong to you. Not just property crimes, either. Murder is theft of a life. Battery is theft of physical health. Rape, arson, pretty much you name it, it's based on taking what doesn;t belong to you. And in a few years, this code will decide whether Jeremy goes to jail or not.

Guess that means If I can find a way to define liberalism as "Theft of common sense", I'll be in like flint...:D

Gato_Solo said:
Guess that means If I can find a way to define liberalism as "Theft of common sense", I'll be in like flint...:D

yep. just as soon as we can define conservatism as "the wholesale adoption of a cookie-cutter ideology."

Back