Perhaps, We Should All Think More Like Dogs.......

75renegade

This evenin', I'm embarkin' upon a subject that I know very little about................Dogs.

One of my closest friends raises Malamutes, for show an' pleasure.

He was sharin' with me, some new revelations, about how they think. Admittedly, he's no pet psychologist, jus' a guy who lives with his eyes open, observin' what he sees.

One of the facts I found interestin' was, the structure of hierarchy within' the pack. The "Alpha" (male), an' the "Alpha" bitch, which do not try to prove their dominence, jus' live instinctively like their status is simply a fact of life.

He mentioned that, one thing that distinguishes the Alpha, is his independant behavior. He does not rely on the acceptence of others in the pack.

He does not look at the other dogs, when he comes into their company, an' if other dogs try to vie for his attention, in an unsolicited way, he turns his gaze away from them, ignors them. An' they eventually accept their place as subordinates, within the pack. He does not try to earn their approval, the other dogs jus' know that he is their Alpha.

It seems to me, that, in light of the immense effort as we spend tryin' to seek the approval of others, an' walkin' in a way which seems "acceptable" to the masses, dogs demonstrate a working structure, which seems to support the idea that our time would be better spent walkin' confidently in who we are.:)

Aunty Em

Hehe... could you just imagine us humans all going around sniffing each others privates!.... :rofl4:

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
as good a mommy as Daisy is being, all from instinct, it surely wouldn't hurt us to be a little more doglike in many ways.

chcr

Too cute for words
They do simplify the whole social thing, don't they. Personally, I wouldn't mind eating, sleeping, barking at strangers, chasing the occasional rabbit and licking myself for entertainment. :lol:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
chcr said:
They do simplify the whole social thing, don't they. Personally, I wouldn't mind eating, sleeping, barking at strangers, chasing the occasional rabbit and licking myself for entertainment. :lol:
:rofl4:

aunty said:
Hehe... could you just imagine us humans all going around sniffing each others privates!....
isn't that what the club scene is all about?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Hmmm. I don't know about that Alpha male stuff though. My biggest dog, Cappy has been going through an Alpha crisis with me for over a year now. He seems to think he's the Alpha male, and I constantly have to remind him that I am. Usually by getting down on the floor with him and staring him down until he rolls over. It's quite the sight I'm sure, My dog and I staring each other down and growling at each other til one of us gives.

PT

Oh yeah, I know. So far I've won every time but I think he's starting to like the game.

greenfreak

PT, that's interesting how you're getting him to accept you as the Alpha. I always heard the staring of a dog is a sign of agression, not sure if that's true or not. But my sister's dog will sit and stare you in the face for minutes on end with no aggression at all. It's a tiny dog, I forget what it's called but it looks like a miniature Lassie. It's not called a collie though, I don't think. I used to think the dog was a little dumb but found out that they're supposed to be really intelligent. Makes me wonder what's going on in his head when he stares at me like that. :eyebrow:

The owner should always be the Alpha or you'll have a problem on your hands. My other sister has a Bouvier Flanders which is a monster of a dog. To give you an idea of how big they get, click on the attachment.

Not being an Alpha with that dog around along with a 3 year old and a 1 year old could be a problem. My sister is the Alpha and he listens to her every command. My brother in law, however, doesn't hold as much power over him. Could have something to do with the amount of time they spend playing.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
holy shinto, is he like 1.20m tall?

The pic almost looks like "enlarged".

PT

That is a big dog. I think perhaps I would lose in a staring contest with that dog.

greenfreak

Look on the bright side, PT, you wouldn't have to get down on all fours to look him in the eye. ;)

My sister's dog (Bailey) is 8 months and his back comes up to mid thigh on me and I'm 5'10". He's not done growing either. My sister knew what she was doing though, and did a lot of research before getting him. She has a huge house and yard. I thought this was funny cus Bailey already does this with me:

Bouviers usually will use a "body block" in which they use their body to move what they want. They have also been know to "nip" at heels to help others move along.