Police radars...

i think they're trying to enforce it legally, but one nice work-round is players that come with no region and you can set it yourself :D

LAW my ass.....:D

if they forbid region-free players, they will not be able to sell the locked ones, instead, everybody will get region-free players that were illegaly imported, and cheaper.

PuterTutor said:
Ok IPH, how do you play region 1 dvd's? Did you get your player region 1?

My DVD player is an HTPC with a Pioneer DVD-ROM flashed with region-free firmware. If I need to get something onto a region-locked standalone player (like my folks') I'll just rip the DVD, edit the IFOs so it's region free and then burn them a copy... easy. Pretty much any player (DVD-ROM or standalone) can be unlocked these days though. :)

Malaysia is funny... there are various degrees of piracy. The thing they've recently cracked down on there are market stalls selling pirated VCDs in plastic wallets. You can go into a respectable mall and pick up what looks like a genuine DVD, but it's not. It's just a very good pirate. The strange thing, is that this seems to be totally tolerated; probably because it is too widespread to address in the short-term and good for the local economy. Same goes for VCDs that are "nicely done" and sold through stores, not stalls. Genuine media costs way more - about the same as in the States I'd say. At least CDs are cheaper; but that's more to do with the weakness of the currency than anything else.

Hey IPH, do you eat at them street restaurants where you can just see the Hepatitis jumping about? You know, those that sell you a meal for RM2 or RM3? I absolutely REFUSE to go eat there. And if you go to Kuala Lumpur again, check out a restaurant called Chilis on Jalan Sultan Ismael, near the city center. Its _amazing_. Pity I don't know about one in Toronto.

Jalan S/Ismael; yeah I know it. I'll have a look next time we go home.

DAMN RIGHT I EAT FROM STALLS! :D

I wouldn't in Thailand though; weird. I guess always being with people that know the reputation of certain stalls and having a Malaysian stomach really help though. I'd still stay away from some types of seafood on occasion though; if the stall looks extra hepatitis-ridden. :)

My dad eats there, but dammit, I can't. So fugly, dirty, and not to mention they wash the plates in the drain with a hose pipe and no soap. GAH. That disgusts me. I'll stick to them nice restaurants.

Ever been up in the KLCC (Petronas Towers)? I have, and it is an amzing sight. What about Lankawi? Its a 40 minute flight from Kuala Lumpur :)

lol this brings back memories... Ever been to Imbi Plaza on Jalan Imbi? The "computer center"? I used to buy lots and lots of CDs there for real cheap (RM 8 per CD). What about Sungei Wang plaza? I used to like going to the bookstore there (MPH). *sigh, such nice memories*

eating in the street? :lol:

i've done that ....and many times, i've never got sick.

btw, i think hepatitis is a viral blood disease that has nothing to do with food, you're probably talking about salmonelosis (sp??).

Luis G said:
eating in the street? :lol:

i've done that ....and many times, i've never got sick.

btw, i think hepatitis is a viral blood disease that has nothing to do with food, you're probably talking about salmonelosis (sp??).
I was being sarcasting with respect to disease, and Mexico is CLEAN with respect to Malaysia.

Back