Police radars...

PuterTutor said:
What is the deal with that "region setting" I haven't gotten a dvd player yet, so don't know much about them. Is that going to be a problem with dvd burners too?
Only movies are region locked. Your player will most likely be locked, such as mine. However, I've never had a problem with the region lock, nor do I see any problem in the forseeable future, so don't worry about it. I own lots of DVDs and all of them are region 1.

I too don't see the fuss some people make about it. Why order from the States if they can order locally? Shipping must be pretty bad. I've never ordered anything from Europe. I always order from either the States or Canada which is mostly the same anyways.

DVDs that you burn are not region coded. It can be played in any DVD player.

ris: the patriotic thing was a j o k e.

ris said:
yes, better watch out for those us hollywood dvd's in an obscure language called innglish. can't sell that here no-one would understand it :rolleyes:

best not buy a foreign car or electronic then, it's not 'patriotic'

It's not patriotic...but I'd NEVER buy a Dutch car, except for Volvo, wich isn't really Dutch anymore...can't even remember for certain if Volvo was Dutch by origin :D

But besides from the Ford Shelby Cobra, I just love Japanese cars :)

the world is divided into 4 regions. dvd players sold in that region are designed [coded] to only play disks bought and coded for that region]. regional variations are therefore possible.
region 1 - us/canada i think
region 2 - uk/europe/australia
region 3 - asia
region 4 - the rest

[numbers/regional details could be wrong]

the reason for it is dvd manufacturers [movie companies] want to control the market so that the earlier release of dvd's in the us doesn't hurt sales of the same dvd, a week or so later, in europe.
its a real arse, especailly as they hike the price up 50% here for the same stuff rolleyes

the reason why you don't see region coding as a problem is that you are on the good side of it. of course you ain't gonna order a dvd from the uk it'll cost twice as much with the shipping.

it is quite often cheaper to order stuff from the us [cds, games, dvds] because even with shipping the stuff is a fair bit cheaper.

j o k e - you've lost me ;)

ris said:
the world is divided into 4 regions. dvd players sold in that region are designed [coded] to only play disks bought and coded for that region]. regional variations are therefore possible.
region 1 - us/canada i think
region 2 - uk/europe/australia
region 3 - asia
region 4 - the rest

[numbers/regional details could be wrong]
Region 1 - U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
Region 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
Region 3 - Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
Region 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
Region 5 - Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
Region 6 - Peoples Republic of China
Region 7 - Reserved
Region 8 - Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

the reason for it is dvd manufacturers [movie companies] want to control the market so that the earlier release of dvd's in the us doesn't hurt sales of the same dvd, a week or so later, in europe.
its a real arse, especailly as they hike the price up 50% here for the same stuff :rolleyes:
Its business. You don't have to buy if you don't want to. They saved billions of $$$s already because people can't pirate things so easily. You still can, but it makes it harder.

ris said:
the reason why you don't see region coding as a problem is that you are on the good side of it. of course you ain't gonna order a dvd from the uk it'll cost twice as much with the shipping.

it is quite often cheaper to order stuff from the us [cds, games, dvds] because even with shipping the stuff is a fair bit cheaper.

j o k e - you've lost me ;)
Um ris, then the problem is not the region locks, but your importers and redistributors.

i don't see how distribution and import prices can push the price up that high when my mailing costs feck all. much of it is from the companies themselves using region coding as a reason to hike prices here.

You may be paying a higher price because of all the trouble companies have to go through to make stuff specifically for Europe? Ie extra language translations, PAL conversion, and all that kinda shit.

You guys get stuff a week after we do? That's strange, I figured it would be about the same time. And the cost, I could see a little higher, if it has to be in two or three different languages, or do they just use subtitles?

usually its subtitled, but often music and video releases are delayed here. as are cinema releases.

the pal conversion can't be all that much of a problem if the region-free plyers here can cope with us/japanese dvd's without difficulty. i wouldn't mind a few quid difference but with cd's for example, where the difference in product is non-existant the prices are getting on for 50% up. :(

PT: Release dates are different, and yes, oftenly they come with translated sound track, and all of them includes proper language sub-titles.

Funny thing, i can get zone 4 dvds for about half the price of a zone 1 dvd.

That is because Mexicans don't have a lot of money. (No offense) Prices fluctuate with respect to how much people can pay. You wouldn't see a DVD for $20 in Malaysia for example, since few, few people can afford to pay RM 80 per DVD. Instead, they charge around RM 30 or so to make it affordable. Of course, if there were no region locks, people would abuse it and import it en masse to other countries.

then why do audio cds costs around US$25-30?

BTW, most zone 4 dvds are manufactured in Mexico (as well as audio cds), no need to buy them from the source country.

Converting to NTSC from FILM is harder than converting to PAL. There shouldn't be an issue with delays due to conversion.

I order my DVDs from the States. All R1, all cheaper than here despite P&P.

ipmoof

P.S. LL... people don't buy legal DVDs in Malaysia, lol. :D

Ok IPH, how do you play region 1 dvd's? Did you get your player region 1?

And, how do you get an "unlocked" dvd player? Is there firmware you can get for them that will do that?

lastlegionary has it on the head - it is related to what the companies percieve the buying value of the product is. or in reality - what the highest price they can flog it for without people getting jarred off.
in the us there is a stronger value ethic in shops [achieving value and market share]. in the uk we are less likely to complain.

but we earn less and have less disposable income so the perceptionof value of the product is a big off.

but look at the drop in sales of cd's in the uk, it;s blamed on piracy. i wonder how many are bought from overseas? these companies are claiming to be losing money hand over fist but the profit margin is still big on cd's.
i wonder how many people would buy more cd's if the price were only 10-15% lower? they might find they can sell more by being closer to the new percieved value of the product.

IPH, some of them do. I have a few friends there, and though they still buy pirated stuff, they do buy some originals of the stuff they really like.

I wouldn't bother with a region free DVD player if I was you. You are in region 1 and there is little the other regions has to offer.

Back