Pot is Harmless

Professur

Yeah, Right.

Woman faces charges after allegedly smoking pot with grandkids in car

OSHAWA, Ont. (CP) - A 43-year-old Oshawa, Ont., woman faces several charges after police allege she was caught smoking marijuana when pulled over for a routine traffic stop - with her two grandchildren in the car.

Durham regional police say the car was stopped Wednesday night because it had an expired licence plate. Police allege the woman was puffing on pot while her grandkids - aged one and four - were in the vehicle without seatbelts.

The grandmother was taken into custody while the children were returned to their mother. No names were released.

Source

pot may not be as harmful as stupidity. pot is not as bad as media may portray it but it is still an intoxicating chemical that one does not use whilst operating a motor vechicle.

If tobacco kills, then any smoked substance kills. Burn her, she's a witch.

Gonz said:
If tobacco kills, then any smoked substance kills. Burn her, she's a witch.
i'll have you know i weigh a fair bit more than a duck, quack you very much!

I feel sorry for the kids' mom in all this. The kids probably had the munchies something fierce after that contact high.

normally i see nothing wrong with pot ...

but chonging while driving with unseat-belted toddlers is disgusting.

If pot were ever really legalized in the U.S., it would be subject to the same or similar laws as alcohol. In other words, you don't smoke it while driving and you don't share it with underage kids. This woman committed both offenses. That still doesn't make pot the culprit.

abooja said:
If pot were ever really legalized in the U.S., it would be subject to the same or similar laws as alcohol. In other words, you don't smoke it while driving and you don't share it with underage kids. This woman committed both offenses. That still doesn't make pot the culprit.

The first sentence pretty well sums it up. Pot is not legal. Being a grandmother, she's been around long enough to know pot is illegal. Personal responsibility plays a major part in this scenario. She didn't have any. ;)

Gato_Solo said:
The first sentence pretty well sums it up. Pot is not legal. Being a grandmother, she's been around long enough to know pot is illegal. Personal responsibility plays a major part in this scenario. She didn't have any. ;)
Agreed. Which is precisely why she's the culprit, and not the weed (the term I prefer). ;)

Man makes laws and man breaks laws. The weed just grows.

abooja said:
Agreed. Which is precisely why she's the culprit, and not the weed (the term I prefer). ;)

Man makes laws and man breaks laws. The weed just grows.

Never touch the stuff. Whiskey gives me just as much of a buzz as any weed, and I can't get arrested drinking on my front porch. Try that with a joint. Besides...random drug tests are a bitch, and I'm allergic to it. ;)

It never ceases to amaze me how the human animal will justify its own vices.

Marijuana is illegal to possess, manufacture, sell, buy or use in this country. Period. Until such time as that changes, it is a crime to even be in possession of it.

I personally think there are far worse things than marijuana, both legal and illegal. that does not change the fact of it being a banned substance punishable by fines and/or jail time.

It is harmful to the human body in numerous ways. Most of us are aware of the hazards it poses. Some of us choose to ignore these factors and use it anyway. That doesn't make one a bad person, though it does make one a criminal.

I throw people in jail for using it frequently. I warn them that I will before they have a chance to test me. I don't catch everyone, but the ones I do catch go to jail. Every time. I lose zero sleep over it. Does that make me a saint? No. It makes me a member of law enforcement. I do not like the idea of meeting some pothead on a crooked, slick back country road who has cooked his brain beyond the point of rationality and routine distance perception. I don't like the idea of these people selling dope to our housebrat at a ballgame. I don't like the idea that they are buying pot instead of paying the electric bill. I don't like the idea that they have likely burglarized someone's home and stolen the possessions the victim has worked hard for in order to pawn the stuff and buy more dope. So I throw them in jail, where they can get all the dope they want and smoke their brains to raisins without hurting anyone else in the process.

Far from a perfect system, but like I said, I sleep well at night.

To say that marijuana is harmless is asinine. To say that it should be legal is debateable. To say that it really isn't a big deal is naive. I see what it does to people every day. It isn't pleasant. Show me someone who's smoked pot for thirty years, and I'll show you a long time loser who's thrown good money after bad money in a never ending pursuit of something they still haven't found and never will find in a plastic baggie. Someone who has hurt people they aren't even aware they've hurt. It's pitiful in a way.

And yes, I have tried it. Often. The day I decided to quit was one of the best decisions I ever made. I can honestly say that I do not miss it one bit.

Fire away. I'm ready.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only one here claiming that pot is harmless was Prof, and he said so quite ironically.

Personally, I agree that it can be a very harmful thing, and I have been a user (and sometime abuser) until very recently. Given the tar, it can likely give you lung cancer the same as cigarettes. While it's not supposed to be physically addictive, it can be cripplingly mentally addictive. I can't imagine that anyone who smoked it regularly as a child learned very much in school. If you smoke it often enough, you want to just sit there and eat junk food. It can also exacerbate preexisting ailments. This is why I decided to quit. I'm not saying I'll never pick it up again, but not for a very long time, and even then, it will be infrequently, at best.

That having been said, weed doesn't give you a hangover and won't make you violent. Alcohol is a potentially much more dangerous drug. Just because it's legal doesn't make it otherwise.

Gonz said:
Yea, you can. Sadly.

:grinno: I've done it on many an occasion...while police drove by and waved. Perhaps where you live, the police can come onto private property and arrest you, but they won't here.

abooja said:
That having been said, weed doesn't give you a hangover and won't make you violent. Alcohol is a potentially much more dangerous drug. Just because it's legal doesn't make it otherwise.

On the 2 occasions I smoked, it gave me an extreme headache, and made me, err, upchuck like there was no tomorrow. Alcohol can do that, but I don't drink to excess. :shrug: I don't get in a car and drive, either. I tend to just sit back, and get mellow. I also stopped being violent when I left puberty behind....well...I don't start trouble, anyway, and I tend to avoid it most of the time...and I haven't been in a physical altercation since I was 26...Guess everybody reacts a bit different, and I can only speak for myself.

If the cop sees alcohol while you're observable from the street & not inside your home, there are a number of charges than can be brought

Back