Putting Squiggy over the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
But, as a religion? :D

worldrel.gif

Squiggy said:
"Chinese folk" is a religion? :retard:

:rolleyes: Ancestor worship. Here's a rhetorical question I often ask myself. Why do so many people think they understand their own religious beliefs when they know next to nothing about any others (or in fact their own)?

i might be alone, but i think America is a very christian country, founded upon christian beliefs. i don't see why people get offended over the phrase "under god" in the pledge and various other examples that i can't mention for trying to keep the train on track ...

but maybe that's just me. :shrug:

The 'under god' material would be more acceptable if it were laid into the framework at the inception of the Republic or soon thereafter. Unfortunately, most of the religious manifestations we encounter in the modern day were fairly recent additions, like the 50s, purely as a reaction to Communisim and played off as patriotism.

Rose said:
i might be alone, but i think America is a very christian country, founded upon christian beliefs. i don't see why people get offended over the phrase "under god" in the pledge and various other examples that i can't mention for trying to keep the train on track ...

Not quite right. There are religious intonations but they mention GOD ...not Christ. We were founded on the belief in religious FREEDOM....

Rose said:

You're not alone. It is a Christian country. However its population is now far more diverse than it was when founded, and phrases such as "under god" are offensive to those who do not share that belief. In fact, this phrase was not penned by the "Founding Fathers" but was added in 1954, some time after this country's declaration of independence. The perpetual inclusion of religious phrases in our leaders' speeches continues to promote a feeling of exclusion for all those who do not share that wisdom tradition.

Here's a history of the Pledge of Allegiance: http://www.flagday.org/Pages/StoryofPledge.html

and here's a paragraph from the above site:
The last change in the Pledge of Allegiance occurred on June 14 (Flag Day), 1954 when President Dwight D. Eisenhower approved adding the words "under God". As he authorized this change he said: "In this way we are reaffirming the transcendence of religious faith in America's heritage and future; in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war."

:mad:

Amendment I said:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Our forefathers & founders of this country believed in God. Most, if not all, were Christian. They wrote that the federal government should not create an official religion & government shall not interfere with each individuals right to practive as they see fit. It doesn't say we're free from religion. It doesn't say if you're offended then all references to God or god or gods shall be henceforth dismissed & deemed illegal. In fact, it says just the opposite. OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF;.

If you're offended by someones cross or a star of David or whatever, don't look.

If the federal government establishes a religion, yell your fool head off. I know I will.

If the federal government wishes to make a few (or a lot) of it's citizens happy & display some historical/religious icon for a few days a year, let it. If the federal government decides that you, yes YOU, are now required to attend some service that is officially sanctioned by the federal government, come by my house. There are always plenty of guns.

chcr said:
Just points out again his belief that atheists and pagans can't be American. I seriously think he really believes that non-christians can't be, but they keep him from saying so.:shrug:

I think thats more about placating to christian voters then anything else. I dont think hes seriously a religious zealot. hes a typical american christian. he mouthes the words he needs to and goes right ahead and screws over the poor and the sick and the hungry to the benefit of the rich. now where is the radical christian ideology there? its simply about votes. and it would be suicide to NOT mention god if you are a republican president (or democratic for that matter really).

Thulsa Doom said:
I think thats more about placating to christian voters then anything else. I dont think hes seriously a religious zealot. hes a typical american christian. he mouthes the words he needs to and goes right ahead and screws over the poor and the sick and the hungry to the benefit of the rich. now where is the radical christian ideology there? its simply about votes. and it would be suicide to NOT mention god if you are a republican president (or democratic for that matter really).
:wstupid:

no really....i think TD is right.

The past year has been a time of accomplishment and progress. Working together, our citizens have made America a safer, more prosperous, and better country

ha. safer and better? a lot of people would add 'more paranoid' as well...

Thulsa Doom said:

Uhh...I believe every president since 'mass communication' (radio, telegraph) was invented gave out a Christmas message following those lines. Laying out on our current president smacks of hypocrisy. As to whether Bush actually believes or not is moot.

:confuse3: Why are you attacking TD's statement? Seems to me he just said that it was what is expected of a president, dem or rep. how is that hypocitical?

I don't think he's attackin it. He just quoted the last post on topic before going back to the main argument line.

America was founded as a Christian nation but our forefathers did make the first amendment to say congress cannot establish any kind of religion nor can they outlaw any kind of religion but because so many Americans consider themselves religious(mainly Christian) you will find many Christian things. However we have the freedom of religion. Now as was said, all our presidents would give thanks to god and the like because either A)they believe or B) it makes them look good. or sometimes both. I dont think Bush wants to infringe on those rights but he is very devout.

George W. Bush said:
God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them.
George W. Bush said:
I don't think that witchcraft is a religion.
George W. Bush said:
[I encourage] employers to permit their workers time off during the lunch hour to attend the noontime services to pray for our land.
George W. Bush said:
I appreciate that question because I, in the state of Texas, had heard a lot of discussion about a faith-based initiative eroding the important bridge between church and state.
Umm... Isn't it supposed to be a wall separating church and state????
George W. Bush said:
I am mindful that we're all sinners...
George W. Bush said:
I really appreciate leaders from around the globe who have come to share in prayer with us today. It reminds me that the Almighty God is a God to everybody, every person.
I beg very strongly to differ.
ThulsaDoom said:
I think thats more about placating to christian voters then anything else.
And I think it's more about his religious beliefs than anything else. :shrug: He, at least, clearly considers it a christion nation. I worry about where that leaves those of us who aren't.

This probably really belongs in RW, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back