Racial Violence Continues in Australia

MrBishop

By MIKE CORDER, Associated Press Writer1 hour, 37 minutes ago

Young people riding in vehicles smashed cars and store windows in suburban Sydney late Monday, a day after thousands of drunken white youths attacked people they believed were of Arab descent at a beach in the same area in one of Australia's worst outbursts of racial violence.

Sunday's attack — apparently prompted by reports that Lebanese youths had assaulted two lifeguards — sparked retaliation by young men of Arab descent in several Sydney suburbs, fighting with police and smashing 40 cars with sticks and bats, police said. Thirty-one people were injured and 16 were arrested in hours of violence.

The rampage on Monday broke out in Cronulla, the same coastal suburb where the violence began, and in neighboring Carringbah, said Paul Bugden, spokesman for New South Wales police. Calm was restored by early Tuesday.

Bugden said six people were arrested and one person apparently was hit by a rock in Monday's violence. He did not have descriptions of those involved in the rampage, but he said it "obviously stems from the last 24-48 hours."

Australian Associated Press, citing a resident who declined to be named, said men riding in up to 50 cars and wielding baseball bats converged on Cronulla, smashing cars. Ambulances were called to help at least one injured man seen lying on the side of the road.

Steven Dawson said a bottle thrown through his apartment window in the suburb of Brighton-Le-Sands showered his 5-month-old son Caleb with glass, but did not hurt the child.

Horst Dreizner said a car had rammed into his denture store and he feared the violence would escalate. "Personally, I think it is only the beginning," he said in a telephone interview.

Elsewhere, about 300 people of Arab descent demonstrated against Sunday's attack outside one of Sydney's largest mosques, amid tight security.

The riots began Sunday after rumors circulated that youths of Lebanese descent were responsible for an attack last weekend on two lifeguards at Cronulla Beach. Police said the assault was not believed to be racially motivated.

Police, meanwhile, formed a strike force to track down the instigators of the attack, some of whom were believed to be from white supremacist groups. Police said they were also seeking an Arab man who allegedly stabbed a white man in the back.

Morris Iemma, the premier of New South Wales state, said police would use video images and photographs to track down the instigators. "Let's be very clear, the police will be unrelenting in their fight against these thugs and hooligans," he said.

Prime Minister John Howard condemned the violence, but said he did not believe racism was widespread in Australia.

"Attacking people on the basis of their race, their appearance, their ethnicity, is totally unacceptable and should be repudiated by all Australians irrespective of their own background and their politics," Howard said.

But he added: "I'm not going to put a general tag (of) racism on the Australian community."

Australia has long prided itself on accepting immigrants — from Italians and Greeks after World War II to families fleeing political strife in the Middle East and Southeast Asia. In the last census in 2001, nearly a quarter of Australia's 20 million people said they were born overseas.

However, tensions between youths of Arabic descent and white Australians have been rising in recent years, largely because of anti-Muslim sentiment fueled by the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks in the United States and deadly bombings on the Indonesian island of Bali that killed 202 people, including 88 Australians, in October 2002.

About 300,000 Muslims live in Australia, the majority in large cities.

"Arab Australians have had to cope with vilification, racism, abuse and fear of a racial backlash for a number of years, but these riots will take that fear to a new level," said Roland Jabbour, chairman of the Australian Arabic Council.

Police had increased the number of officers patrolling the beach in the Sydney suburb on Sunday after cell phone text messages urged people to gather there to retaliate for the attack on the lifeguards.

Police said more than 5,000 white youths, some wrapped in Australian flags and chanting racist slurs, fought with police, attacked people they believed to be of Arab descent and assaulted a pair of paramedics trying to help people escape the riot.

Police fought back with batons and pepper spray.

Many of the youths had been drinking heavily, police said. One white teenager had the words "We grew here, you flew here" painted on his back. Someone had written "100 percent Aussie pride" in the sand. TV broadcasts showed a group of young women attacking another woman, whose ethnicity was not clear.

The violence shocked this city of 4 million that considers itself a cultural melting pot.

"What we have seen yesterday is something I thought I would never see in Australia and perhaps we have not seen in Australia in any of our lifetimes and that is a mass call to violence based on race," Community Relations Commission chairman Stepan Kerkyasharian told Sky News.

Cronulla Beach, which is easily accessible by train but is not a popular destination for foreign tourists, is often visited by youngsters from poorer suburbs, many of them of Arab descent. Residents accuse the youths of traveling in gangs and sometimes intimidating other beachgoers. Aborigines rioted in the Sydney neighborhood of Redfern in February 2004 after blaming police for the death of a 17-year-old boy. Forty police were wounded.
Source

Virtually every continent in virtually every country, there are problems tied to Islam & its followers. Maybe they ought to rethink their position?

Gonz said:
Virtually every continent in virtually every country, there are problems tied to Islam & its followers. Maybe they ought to rethink their position?

Ummm...It was the Aussies who started that by randomly targetting Middle-Eastern-looking people for physical and verbal abuse. It's the Arabic guy asking for calm a la Rodney King...

I'm just pointing out a fact. Assess blame as need be.

Back to point A...which took to the very last paragraph in the BBC story to determine.
The clashes follow an assault on two lifeguards last week, reportedly by youths of Middle Eastern origin.

Gonz said:
I'm just pointing out a fact. Assess blame as need be.

Back to point A...which took to the very last paragraph in the BBC story to determine.

Ahh...racial profiling at its best. Since you may not have the experience, I'll explain how that works.

I grew up in a racially mixed, but also racially divided area. When I hung out, I hung out with my friends, and we went everywhere as a group. We were often misconstrued as a gang, but we had no violent tendencies unless we were subjected to violence. We were polite most of the time, but it gets tiring real fast to have to explain yourself to everyone you run into that has a preconceived notion of how your race is, and why you happen to be in their neighborhood...even if you're just passing through.

Learned behavior. Just as much of that was settling down, along came the gangs which fired up more racial distrust than anything previous. Living in, traveling to & experiencing many cities & towns, I can tell you that I get the same treatment, from the negro community, as you get from the caucasian.

Our distrust comes from the increased crime rate &/or violent tendencies which tend to increase as the number of black men, particularly in groups, increase. If they aren't recognized by the comunity, they're strangers & learning from past experiences, looking for trouble. Racial profiling, or learning?

It may seem unjust. So does shooting a crazy guy in the back for yelling he has a bomb. However, should experience be our guide, we must use it. I'd much prefer to see a different general climate. Until the trash gets thrown out, it all looks dirty.

Going looking for trouble, a la the Aussies, is another story altogether &probably sheds light upon the reverse profiling.

Gato_Solo said:
Ahh...racial profiling at its best. Since you may not have the experience, I'll explain how that works.

I grew up in a racially mixed, but also racially divided area. When I hung out, I hung out with my friends, and we went everywhere as a group. We were often misconstrued as a gang, but we had no violent tendencies unless we were subjected to violence. We were polite most of the time, but it gets tiring real fast to have to explain yourself to everyone you run into that has a preconceived notion of how your race is, and why you happen to be in their neighborhood...even if you're just passing through.

much the same as i experienced as a long haired rock freak type in smalltown, tn. with the notable exception of my ostracization being of my choice. hence i accepted the stares, the refusals to turn on gas pumps, the waitresses who declined to take my order at the restaurant, the comments, and the occasional hurled object or outright attack as ''part of the territory'' and journeyed on.

SouthernN'Proud said:
much the same as i experienced as a long haired rock freak type in smalltown, tn. with the notable exception of my ostracization being of my choice. hence i accepted the stares, the refusals to turn on gas pumps, the waitresses who declined to take my order at the restaurant, the comments, and the occasional hurled object or outright attack as ''part of the territory'' and journeyed on.

As we both know...getting 'used to it' doesn't make it right.

nope. but again, what i experienced grew from a choice i made, and in making that choice i knowingly accepted whatever came with it. i never really felt anger at those idiots, just a sense of waste and sympathy for the closed worlds they operated in.

Gee when white 'minorities' move in to a place
they turrn the place into a first world country.

Remember and never forget 'whites' are a
'minority' in terms of world population.

So is this supposed to be a race thing or a religion thing?

Any group of people that participates in civil unrest
should be dealt with most severely, lest the fabric
of white founded civilization be torn asunder.

Shoot the fookers.

Winky said:
Gee when white 'minorities' move in to a place
they turrn the place into a first world country.

Remember and never forget 'whites' are a
'minority' in terms of world population.

So is this supposed to be a race thing or a religion thing?

Any group of people that participates in civil unrest
should be dealt with most severely, lest the fabric
of white founded civilization be torn asunder.

Shoot the fookers.

That popping sound would be you removing your foot from your mouth.

"When in Rome..." If you want to deviate, go back to your own country.
Race IMO, is the smaller part of the picture.
I don't care what race you are, if you act right.
I think that how most rational people feel in whatever country it may be.

catocom said:
I think that how most rational people feel in whatever country it may be

and at least this one irrational person.

well said cat.

Now you've got me worrying if I maybe acted too Canadian or Scot while I was there. I did my redneck best.

Winky said:
glad you were able to easily disprove
the points made

Considering that civilization, as we know it, started in Northern Africa (egypt)whilst the Europeans were still fucking goats, your argument starts to fray at the edges. Add on top of that that every part of the 'superior' European morality was stolen from The Middle East (Egypt again), it starts to unravel. Finish that off with the European wont for genocide (every major war since the start of the first millenium), and you have a mix of anger and hatred for all things different. If the Europeans hadn't stolen most of their technology, and bred like rabbits after the great plague, you wouldn't be sitting where you are, spouting such nonsense. ;)

Gato_Solo said:
Considering that civilization, as we know it, started in Northern Africa (egypt)whilst the Europeans were still fucking goats, your argument starts to fray at the edges. Add on top of that that every part of the 'superior' European morality was stolen from The Middle East (Egypt again), it starts to unravel. Finish that off with the European wont for genocide (every major war since the start of the first millenium), and you have a mix of anger and hatred for all things different. If the Europeans hadn't stolen most of their technology, and bred like rabbits after the great plague, you wouldn't be sitting where you are, spouting such nonsense. ;)

They've moved up to sheep now. After stealing the technology of Velcro.

Professur said:
Now you've got me worrying if I maybe acted too Canadian or Scot while I was there. I did my redneck best.
you seem too "multi-cultured" to be classified IMO. You "do" just seem to kinda blend. ;)

catocom said:
I think that how most rational people feel in whatever country it may be.

Hmm...Like the Europeans did when they arrived in the 'New World'? How about when the Europeans started the first crusade? Come to think about it...the Europeans are extremely anti-semetic, so why did they steal a religious figure from the Jews (Jesus was Jewish), and use that same figure for so much anger and hatred over the centuries?

Considering that civilization, as we know it, started in Northern Africa

Yeah and like um all hoo-man's started in Africa
ya know evolving from apes, what does this have to do with disproving my contention?

Add on top of that that every part of the 'superior' European morality was stolen from The Middle East (Egypt again),

Again, what does this have to do with the modern day?

If the Europeans hadn't stolen most of their technology, and bred like rabbits after the great plague

Well I've never heard the renaissance described quite that way, thanks it put it in a whole new light, my life is changed forever!

you wouldn't be sitting where you are, spouting such nonsense.

So what is the thinly veiled threat behind that comment? That I'd be sitting in chains enslaved by 'people of colour' instead? Or perhaps living in some
wonderful first world country enjoying boundless freedom as I do now? A country founded by Arabs or Africans that afford equality for all minorities?
Point out how this might have occurred!

Back