Rain, rain go away....

Professur

Hey Georgianites, did ya enjoy Tammy? How many named storms does that make for you guys this year?

Too fucking many, that's how many.

This one ain't so bad. Two days of rain (which we need, badly), and it's a touch breezy, but the worst part is the effect on the commute.

yep, I was asceered to burn trash, noe I kin. :lloyd:
Let it rain, I've got inside work to do anyway. :swing:

Tammy makes Atlantic storm #19 on the season.. which ties the record... and we still have 6 weeks of the season left to go.

We really, really, needed the rain. Its been tinder dry for weeks.

Professur said:
Seems to me like you're passing up a golden opportunity to burn off all that kudzu
Nothing can kill kudzu. All you can do it force it to go dormant with harsh cold. I've seen pyres of aviation fuel do nothing more than piss it off. I've seen bulldozers scraping down 8 feet only piss it off. I've seen agent orange only kill it for mere weeks before it came back pissed off. All you can do it cut it back. We need some kind of specialized locust infestation from China or something.

unclehobart said:
Nothing can kill kudzu. All you can do it force it to go dormant with harsh cold. I've seen pyres of aviation fuel do nothing more than piss it off. I've seen bulldozers scraping down 8 feet only piss it off. I've seen agent orange only kill it for mere weeks before it came back pissed off. All you can do it cut it back. We need some kind of specialized locust infestation from China or something.
Oh contraire....I emptied about 1 tsp of Roundup that was left in a bottle
on a huge patch, not expecting it to really do anything, and in 2 years not
one leaf left. :)
(of coarse it could have been something else, but it's gone) *phanwink*

At the rate it grows...I'm not surprised that it's a tough kill.

Kudzu was introduced to the United States in 1876 at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Countries were invited to build exhibits to celebrate the 100th birthday of the U.S. The Japanese government constructed a beautiful garden filled with plants from their country. The large leaves and sweet-smelling blooms of kudzu captured the imagination of American gardeners who used the plant for ornamental purposes.

Florida nursery operators, Charles and Lillie Pleas, discovered that animals would eat the plant and promoted its use for forage in the 1920s. Their Glen Arden Nursery in Chipley sold kudzu plants through the mail. A historical marker there proudly proclaims "Kudzu Developed Here."

During the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Soil Conservation Service promoted kudzu for erosion control. Hundreds of young men were given work planting kudzu through the Civilian Conservation Corps. Farmers were paid as much as eight dollars an acre as incentive to plant fields of the vines in the 1940s.
Talk about asking for trouble! :D

Florida nursery operators, Charles and Lillie Pleas, discovered that animals would eat the plant and promoted its use for forage in the 1920s. Their Glen Arden Nursery in Chipley sold kudzu plants through the mail. A historical marker there proudly proclaims "Kudzu Developed Here."

I'm shocked no one's burned it to the ground.

Professur said:
I'm just pissed that the vine I managed to grab wasn't it.
You trying to bring Kudzu to Quebec, Prof?
As if killing the vine in your side yard wasn't tough enough...you want to try for Level 2? :eek:

Back