Christmas Tree?

• Real tree

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • Fake tree

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • No tree

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
My Father wasw a fireman for 32 years. He saw what used to happen with real Christmas trees and the old tree lights (or even candles way back!) that got hot enough to cook on. Lots of people loosing everything they had right at Christmas. Same thing used to happen quite often with people leaving the turkey cooking in the oven while heading off to church on Christmnas morning, only to come back to ashes.

Needless to say we always had a fake tree. Though, I remember one year, prolly in the 70's, we had a fake tree start to melt and smoke on us from the heat of those horrible hot Christmas lights!

Today's lights run pretty much cold, so the danger is reduced. I got a real tree for the first time after my divorce, and I would never go back to fake, no matter what the mess. I just love the smell too much :)

Fake - I don't see why a living tree should kak off just so I can enjoy a holiday :shrug: Besides, we spend very little time inside over Christmas, our's is usually spent around the pool. If we want to decorate real trees we hang lights around the ones lining the driveway.

There's just something wrong with the idea of millions of trees getting cut down each year to get dunped in a landfill.

Besides that fake trees are pretty cost effective. I've had a nice $60 tree for about 7 years now. Last time I checked a real tree cost $40 or more.

I spend a little money on getting one sweet new ornament a year. A couple years ago it was Spiderman, last year it was SpongeBob, this year I found a Boba Fett.

My mother-in-law (ex mother-in-law? woman who is the stepmother of my ex-husband? Kid's grandma?) buys the boys one each every year, something they're into. It's sweet. By the time they're adults they'll have a whole treeful.

Mine is gonna be tippin over like my AV in the next couple years, but it's nice for them anyway.

Fake pre-lit tree. A cheap one, too, with shatterproof ornaments. First Christmas with the cat and I didn't know how he would act around the tree. So far, he's batted at a couple of the really low shiny ornaments and knocked one down, but that's been it so far. So it looks like with this cat, all we have to do is just make sure the special ornaments aren't on the very bottom and all will be good.

*proud christmas tree assassin*

how can i deny a christmas tree his reason for being in this world?

Back